Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Any LAWYERS here? If so, please help

Status
Not open for further replies.

iBizStart

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just went on the US government patent website. Ebay and Overture both have a ton of patents.

For example, I want to start a similar website to either ebay or overture.com? Legally, am I allowed to do this since they each have patents for their ideas?

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
[/Thread MOVED by Moderator from the "Lounge" to "Legal Issues"]

It's nice that we do have a "Legal Issues" forum here. :)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whether a proposed system would or would not, infringe a patent can be a fairly complicated question requiring quite a bit of analysis. It really can't be reduced to "Ebay has a patent, can I do something similar to Ebay?"

The "invention" covered by a patent is defined by the claims of the patent (those numbered statements that come first in the uspto full text database, and last in the printed copy of the patent). In order to infringe a patent, the accused system must incorporate every limitation, or its substantial equivalent, set forth in at least one of the independent claims (a claim that does not refer to another claim). Whether the accused system does things in addition to the claim is not relevant to whether the accused system infringes.

On top of that basic principle, there is a wealth of principles of claim interpretation developed in case law relating to patents, which guide the way one reads the claims. Also, the apparent scope of the claims can be influenced by how terms are defined in the patent, or how terms were clarified or amended during prosecution of the patent.

When you get finished with that, then one might consider the validity of the patent - i.e. whether there was one of a specified type of event, such as a publication more than one year before the earliest US filing date of the patent, that would render the patent to be invalid.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom