Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

any of you guys got a pond with algae you cant get rid off

Status
Not open for further replies.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i just ordered aq4 supposed to get rid of algae, microbes supposidly eat the algae they say it doesnt harm fish or animals, the outlet stream flows north so wind keeps algae in the pond we have tried pumps and raking but cant keep up, i will let you no if it works, got a spring fed pond, my fathers friend took a bass out that we had been letting go for years 8 more ounces and it would have been a state record, there were times we would be reeling in a sunny and he would swallow it, but now the algae has taken over

Domain Days 2024

G_Gekko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There is an easier way. Just throw a ball of hay in there for a couple of months and the pond will clear up. Hay contains substances that prevent algae from growing. (Discovered by a farmer by mistaken after a couple of balls fell of his truck)

The amount of hay needed depends on the size of the pond. You may need no more than a sock filled with hay for a small pond and an entire ball for a large pond.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
thanks guys, I will give it a try in my small pond first, i hate using chemicals when there is a natural way
thanks again

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It is hard to beleive that it works, because hay is just dry grass, but other home remedies have worked great, one thing an old exterminator told me that worked great was boric acid for fleas, we tried everything to get them out of the rug bombing sprays etc but nothing worked we had several dogs and cats on the farm. You just spread the powder in the rug and vacuum up,you dont want to use it if you have young children because it is poisen, we havent had a flea in 10 years. also works great on ants

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmm, does hay work for indoor aquariums too?

Preoccupy

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I'm not too sure about using hay for indoor aquariums... it might be too dangerous for the fishes since the aquariums are smaller than ponds... I don't want to risk anything that might kill the fish... I love fishes! Anyways, I went on google and did a quick search but found that maybe barley might work... here is the result of the search:

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=reduce+algae
:crutch:

insomnia said:
Hmm, does hay work for indoor aquariums too?

G_Gekko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. but keep an eye on the water parameters as it can cause nitrite/nitrate and ammonia levels to raise.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i did a little research and it seems barley hay works best, proble is they recommend 1 bale of hay per 1,000 gallons being my pond is 100,000 galons it would look a little silly with 100 hay bails in there

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
fatter said:
It is hard to beleive that it works, because hay is just dry grass, but other home remedies have worked great, one thing an old exterminator told me that worked great was boric acid for fleas, we tried everything to get them out of the rug bombing sprays etc but nothing worked we had several dogs and cats on the farm. You just spread the powder in the rug and vacuum up,you dont want to use it if you have young children because it is poisen, we havent had a flea in 10 years. also works great on ants
We have ants and other insects from our nabours, but as you said we should not use it as we have small children, and I don't know when I will be able to get the exterminator out, so what else can we do?

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
for ants its not a problem I just mix boric acid with soda or sugar and put it where they frequent they then carry it back to there nest and kill the whole colony

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
good idea, now for the bad one: a nabour moved out and his roaches moved in here! How do I get them to die? I have tried all the bombs, and they do not seem to work at all.

fatter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am not sure about roaches but i no they actually treat lumber with boric acid to kill termites so i suspect it would work, just make sure when you go to the drug store to buy the powder form, it is relativly cheap, mix with sugar
when the bugs get it on them they bring it back to there nests, i hate roaches we dont have to deal with them in upstate ny, but when i travelled in the south they were everywhere

G_Gekko

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think a lot less tha 100 balls would do the trick if you are patient. It would take longer but I believe the final result would be about the same. I know of people that have had good result with one ball in 10 000 gallon ponds

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Some enemies are pond scum -- thanks for the tips! :becky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom