Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Any one got questioned by snapnames?

Status
Not open for further replies.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I recently bid on several domain name. As the bidding goes, i realize that one of it does not really worthed to be paid for 300+. So, as there are bidder place a higher amount, i decided not to follow him.

And when the auction close, i receive an email from the staff saying that the highest bidder is a scam. Then he offer me whether im intersted in buying that name as i was the second highest.

I told him that im not interested in that domain anymore. Because i cant really find what acronym will fit it most. But then he replied to me with a wierd question. He ask me : then why did you bid on it till it was xxx?
I somehow feel that this question is a bit ridiculous. I have my right not to buy any domain that i have not won. am i right?

so, does anyone here has ever experience the same thing with me? or probably this is a brokerage game.

namewaiter

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'd tell them that if you were bidding against a fake bidder than you would take the domain for the initial $60 bid price, not what you last bid (if you still want it at all).

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
if im allowed to take the at initial bid.. That was great great great :)
I try to ask them about this ...LOL

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
Tip of the iceberg.
Can't control the holder of both the cake and of the knife.

That's all I can say.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namestrands said:
no harm in trying :)

i dont think it work.. They will definetely sell the name according to the bid :)

Kjel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Consider this hypothetical auction with three hypothetical bidders A, B, and S (for "shill", or any other more derogatory term you'd prefer):

A, B and S have bids in at 60
B bids 100
A bids 200
B bids 300
A bids 400
S bids 500
A bids 600
S bids 700

S bids 700 and wins, since he is past what A and B are willing to pay. SnapNames subsequently discovers that S is a deadbeat. SnapNames would then offer the name to A at 400, since that was his last bid against another legitimate bidder. If S hadn't started bidding, A would have won the name at 400. Is it reasonable to expect that A would want the name at 400, since he did in fact bid 600 on the name when he thought that S was also a legitimate bidder? I'm interested to hear people's thoughts.

namestrands

The Bishop
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
people bidding against you creates a false sense of value.. I would be happy with paying the 400 if knowing that 'B' was a legitimate bidder..

I can see no benefit for anyone shill bidding on Snapnames.. what would they have to gain? or am I missing something here?

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You missed the thread about someone who boasted about pushing up auctions so that the top bidder would end up paying more.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
namestrands said:
I can see no benefit for anyone shill bidding on Snapnames.. what would they have to gain? or am I missing something here?

a shill bidder on snapnames would have some connection to the company...the higher the bids the more $ snapnames makes

or just be a frustrated drop catcher that cant pay what the big dogs are paying

Kjel

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
E-Promote said:
a shill bidder on snapnames would have some connection to the company...the higher the bids the more $ snapnames makes

or just be a frustrated drop catcher that cant pay what the big dogs are paying

Bad/stolen credit card is actually the most common story when we have to boot a bidder from an auction. And I'm sure no one here means to imply that anyone connected to SnapNames has ever placed a shill bid in one of our auctions. That would of course be wildly unethical -- and illegal -- were we ever to do that.

DavidAusman

David Ausman
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Kjel said:
A, B and S have bids in at 60
B bids 100
A bids 200
B bids 300
A bids 400
S bids 500
A bids 600
S bids 700

That is what im facing. This is my first time bidding on domain names. So, when i realize there are someone who come from an initial bid and skyrocket to the top bid, hu hu hu hu hu .... no way for me to buy that domain. Even if im the second bidder.

**But finally, that domain is sold to the bidder under me. Only $1 below me.

marcos

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i snapnames faq if a top bidder does not pay or cannot pay the domain goes to the second highest bidder

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom