Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Any tools out there to copy an ENTIRE website?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can anyone point me to a tool that will copy an ENTIRE website? Hopefully free or at least low-cost?

Browsers used to do this, but not anymore. "Offline viewing" is now totally worthless, it does 1 page at a time. The site I want to copy to my hard drive has hundreds of photos spread among dozens of pages.

BTW, I'm not trying to steal a website, I'm trying to get a copy of it (esp the photos) before the site owner takes it down or revises it. It was a fundraising site for a dog hoarder, and as such there is a lot of evidence there that needs to be saved. I expect this person to be served with at least a couple of lawsuits so I need to do this quickly.

Thanks!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Have you used any of these?

I've been burned too often by the "shareware" downloads... most of it either just doesn't work, or installs trojan type malware on my computer (especially browser bars that cannot be uninstalled).

I only go by recommendations these days :)

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
I used Website Extractor several years ago. Not sure about malware or the others.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
how bout using screen print

you can save those images to hard drive

DN BROKER

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Use firefox and under FILE SAVE AS - let me know if it works. It does save, i tried this couple years ago.

Can anyone point me to a tool that will copy an ENTIRE website? Hopefully free or at least low-cost?

Browsers used to do this, but not anymore. "Offline viewing" is now totally worthless, it does 1 page at a time. The site I want to copy to my hard drive has hundreds of photos spread among dozens of pages.

BTW, I'm not trying to steal a website, I'm trying to get a copy of it (esp the photos) before the site owner takes it down or revises it. It was a fundraising site for a dog hoarder, and as such there is a lot of evidence there that needs to be saved. I expect this person to be served with at least a couple of lawsuits so I need to do this quickly.

Thanks!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
CureCancer: FireFox's 'Save As' only saves the 1 page that you are on. I want to save a big site with several hundred photos and about 100 pages. I need software that will crawl the site.

biggedon: Most of the photos are very large (3MB) and have a lot of detail. I want the max resolution because we want to be able to see all of the people in the background of the photos. This is important because some people declined to be photograph but can be seen in the background of others peoples' shots.

Just tried 'web extractor' and crawled the site, but didn't save the photos. Perhaps I need to read the manual on it more.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
can you see same images you need on "web.archive.org"

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Once again, the Linux command line comes to the rescue:
Code:
wget \
     --recursive \
     --no-clobber \
     --page-requisites \
     --html-extension \
     --convert-links \
     --restrict-file-names=windows \
     --domains website.org \
     --no-parent \
         [url]www.website.org/tutorials/html/[/url]
http://www.linuxjournal.com/content/downloading-entire-web-site-wget
If you don't have a Linux machine it's a good opportunity to start using virtualization software like vmware :)

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the linux command! Not sure I'm ready to tackle vmware tho!

No, archive.org does not store large photos.

The Yahoo answers thing is 4 years old so most of it doesn't work anymore, but it does make reference to the httrack product.

Thanks all!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Ok, tried several of these and HTTrack was BY FAR the best way to go.

Thanks all!

kinesis

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
They have wget for Windows on Sourceforge (search Google for 'wget win32') use it w/ the same flags as stated above.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom