Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
NDD Camp 2024

Any way to List the Post Subject and first 25 or so words?

Status
Not open for further replies.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Dan, This is the best alternative to the superbly programmed and extremely well designed and formatted Afternic Forums (which inconsiderate idiots there shut-down with no notice) I have found and the most active but not as active as Afternic was.

My main negative toward this domain forum is the lack of each post appearing on the main page along with its subject and the first 25 or so words of the post not appearing, similar to an email program Preview Pane, and the way Afternic did it.

Each Post should appear on the main page and if clicked on it should take you direct to that Post - with the earlier thread posts above it to read if desired, or following the thread with connecting lines to follow if desired, as done by AN.

It should not be necessary to follow a long thread (or even a short one) simply to find out if any recent posts are of interest or not. For example, I looked at a thread which indicated had new posts, the thread was very long (mostly little value posts), after getting near the end the few new posts were of absolutely no interest to me.

In fact, for lack of a better word I shall call those new thread posts 'garbage' or 'worthless' posts (sorry, no insults intended), consisting of only a few words adding little or nothing of value to the thread. Perhaps they were of some (little) value to the thread posters but likely no one else.

If those 'garbage' posts were listed along with the subject (which by the way should be mandatory, not optional) and some words from the post it would not be required to scroll thru a thread, perhaps even reading the same posts a second time without first realizing it), and then reaching the new posts which turn-out to be of no value at all and a waste of time and effort. :sad:

Upvote 0

DNForum

Forum Announcements
Official Account
Reaction score
Good suggestion for the future, I will definately look into it. :)

Thanks.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In other words, the main forum page should have the most recent posts in time order and the post subject and the beginning words, approx' 25 or so.

The name of the thread obtained from the initial post, need not even be there. In fact, no thread initial posts need be there, just the last posts.

By going to the most recent post (if deemed of interest) the system displays that post with other recent posts above it in reverse date order, the previous one above, scrolling up would eventually lead to the first post in the thread.

It sounds somewhat complex explaining this but actualy is really simple. You almost need to be a former AN user and recall the Afternic Forum Format to realize the great value of doing it this way.

If there is a way to implemet this it would be great. Too bad the superbly done but abandoned Afternic Forum Code is not for sale.

Thanks Dan.

RealNames..
I see exactly what your point is here..

When members log into the main forum page.. we view only the orig. post at that point.. and then must click and go through/scroll to find the latest post..

hmmm
maybe this forum does not offer that feature..

however, they do have the 'icon' to click to see the most
recent posts.. upper right.. (from the home pg)
have you used that?

the real timely issue will be when the original thread.. becomes very lengthy with multiple posts made... currently, it's not too big of an issue.

i'm certain they'll lookin to a solution

I just reviewed the FAQ section.. helpful

I noticed your using 'yellow' for the mouse over color for the
'links' after the questions etc..

from my browser.. the yellow on white background.. is really
hard to even make out that that yellow link was there..

might just be on my end..

but just fyi

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom