Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anybody successfully parking subdomains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

waiter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Is anybody successfully parking subdomains with any of the monetized parking services? If so, how do you park subdomains? :?: When I refer to subdomains, I mean an example like this: music.mydomain.com -- in this example, music is a subdomain of mydomain.com.

If I park mydomain.com, I get a landing page. Why not also park a subdomain (music.mydomain.com) and get a separate langing page that relates to music? Is it done? If so, how and with whom?

The following parking services inform me that they support parking of subdomains:

DomainSponsor and Parked. SEDO might support subdomains, but the SEDO rep was unsure as it has not been "officially tested" -- he suggested I try it to see if it works :sigh2: .

TrafficZ and NameDrive do not support subdomains .

I have to think parking subdomains must be a golden opportunity as long as PPC is a viable market. Sidebar: beware the move toward PPA/PPS (Pay-Per-Action or Pay-Per-Sale) : the marketing tactic where you only make money if someone actually buys something. BTW -- have you noticed that the Yahoo/Overture Keyword Bid tool has disappeared? :eek: Yahoo is obviously moving toward ranking pages based more on relevant content than on highest keyword bid).

...but i digress

If you do nothing but park domains, then why buy and park 100 domain names at $7 each ($700 total) when you can theoretically park hundreds of subdomains -- and the subdomains cost nothing! Why not just buy 10 domains and park them, and then create 50 subdomains per each domain -- that would give you over 500 parked pages. The title of each subdomain could be composed of highly sought-after generic keywords. Here's an example of a title of a subdomain using a high-priced keyword:
mesothelioma.example.com

If you try to think up a good domain name with premium generic keywords, you learn quickly that they are almost all taken -- especially those in the canonical format that the search engines read. Don't give up! You can still use the premium generic keywords as subdomains and then you can park the subdomains -- at least that is what I hope can be done. So now I'd be grateful if some of you pro domainers out there would weigh in and let us know your experiences with parking subdomains, how to do it, and with which parking services.

Thanks! :eek:k:

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
in order to get the subdomains indexed you must create your own sites and use proper SEO to make any money.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I was also curious from the perspective that usually a sub domain has to be forwarded or a DNS server change to the root domain and this may actually not work as normally you have to point the domain name DNS to the parking site.

Plus, the parking host usually verifies ownership of the domain name and I would not think that subdomains would come up to begin with.

Perhaps I answered my own curiosity on this matter.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I was also curious from the perspective that usually a sub domain has to be forwarded or a DNS server change to the root domain and this may actually not work as normally you have to point the domain name DNS to the parking site.

Plus, the parking host usually verifies ownership of the domain name and I would not think that subdomains would come up to begin with.

Perhaps I answered my own curiosity on this matter.

correct , most parking companies direct subdomain traffic to the domain , but if its not expired traffic with links or indexed pages to the subdomains then what traffic are you really going to get, you have to develop the domain to really think about subdomains.

waiter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The obvious way to get your subdomains indexed is to create your own web pages and SEO the pages.

But I still wonder if there is a way to park a subdomain (example: music.mydomain.com) and have it point to a unique landing page rather than just redirecting to the landing page for the main domain (example: mydomain.com). Perhaps it might be possible by obtaining a Hostname (example: music) from the parking company and then add it as a CNAME record to the DNS for mydomain.com -- which would allow the domain to resolve to a parked subdomain page (example: music.mydomain.com). Possible or not?

I inquired about parking subdomains with Parked and the reply was a little confusing, but here is the gist of it:

"..we (Parked) would provide you with a Hostname [example: music] that you could add as a CNAME record to the DNS for [your domain] which would allow the domain to resolve to our parked page." Does the Parked rep mean the parked page for the main domain (example: mydomain.com) or the parked page for the subdomain (example: music.mydomain.com)?

Anyway, I'd still like to know if anyone out there has successfully parked subdomains and those subdomains have their own unique landing/parked pages. If you have done it, could you share with us how you did it?

Cheers!

If you want to park subdomains, I think you also have to park the main domain with the parking company. In this way the parking company can verify the ownership of a subdomain because the main domain is also parked with the parking company.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
DS does not let you park subdomains "per-se", they will however serve a differnet lander page,from that of the root domain for your subdomain,if the dns is set to their servers. don't know if the same applies for url redirect.

whereas, sedo will just serve the root domain's page if you type-in a subdomain

waiter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
DS does not let you park subdomains "per-se", they will however serve a differnet lander page,from that of the root domain for your subdomain,if the dns is set to their servers...

If I understand you correctly, DS will serve a landing page for the subdomain (example of subdomain: music.mydomain.com) that is different from the landing page for the root domain (example of root domain: mydomain.com). Is that right?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
yes. but i've only tested using dns settings

waiter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
yes. but i've only tested using dns settings

Then that's it! The answer to my fundamental question! :cheesy: So now I just have to DNS my subdomains to point to a parking service, and each subdomain will have its own unique landing page -- of course I assume the root domain must also be parked with the parking service. I'll give it a try.

Thanks! I'll let you know how it turns out. :eek:k:

kwok

Verified Exclusive Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then that's it! The answer to my fundamental question! :cheesy: So now I just have to DNS my subdomains to point to a parking service, and each subdomain will have its own unique landing page -- of course I assume the root domain must also be parked with the parking service. I'll give it a try.

I learned something new too. :) Let us know how it turns out.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

That not exactly what i meant.

at DS their dns is "proredirect.com"

so if i set the dns of "mydomain.com" to ns1.proredirect.com/ns2.proredirect.com

then if someone types in "music.mydomain.com" it should go to a page relating to music.
if someone type in "lawyers.mydomain.com" then it should go to a page relating to lawyers.
and so on etc.

if you set the root domain to any other dns, then the subdomains won't get pages served by DS.

again, I have not tried url redirection for subdomains while leaving the root domain's dns set at the registrars default.

waiter

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So, if I want to park a subdomain that will show a unique landing page, it is pretty obvious the parking service must provide a DNS server that allows you to do this. I will try it with a few parking services and let you know how it goes.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom