Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Anyone getting scared of New gtld's yet?

Status
Not open for further replies.

zorag

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There isn't anything to worry about people.... not from these new TLD's anyway.

.COM, .NET and .ORG have already stood the test of time "on several occasions". Rolling out these new extensions will only make our existing extensions more valuable and turn more peoples attention to the importance of owning real quality domains / NET PROPERTY. These lesser extensions will point more spotlight on the established contenders - which are "age old" legacy properties - there is NO getting away from that !

IMO: What you should all be doing is promoting.. not sitting around twiddling your thumbs hoping for the worst, or even worse, hoping others will do it for you!

(Are you mice.. or investors) !!

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There isn't anything to worry about people.... not from these new TLD's anyway.

.COM, .NET and .ORG have already stood the test of time "on several occasions". Rolling out these new extensions will only make our existing extensions more valuable and turn more peoples attention to the importance of owning real quality domains / NET PROPERTY. These lesser extensions will point more spotlight on the established contenders - which are "age old" legacy properties - there is NO getting away from that !

IMO: What you should all be doing is promoting.. not sitting around twiddling your thumbs hoping for the worst, or even worse, hoping others will do it for you!

(Are you mice.. or investors) !!

Exactly the way I see it. :)

I say bring on more of these useless TLD's that flood the internet with PPC pages that only spark more confidence in .com, .net and .org which are more than often developed.

urlurl

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
agreed, the only use i can see are the social networks using them as a shortner for their users, ie - facebook, linkin, twitter, etc.

- i think the majority of them wont even be available or sold to the general public.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Closed TLD's not offered to the general public or rather Government run TLD's are actually the most trusted and have a legitimate purpose, for example; .edu, .gov and .mil.

Other closed TLD's that are private but are subject to verification such as .pro. .museum .travel, .jobs ect, I think they have as much usefulness as .auto or .pet. :rolleyes: Which I'm sure is on the horizon.

As anti government as I am, I actually like the fact Government has TLD's of it own, it separates the public sector from the private, eliminating any confusion whether your dealing with the real McCoy or not.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I know I repeat myself, but the established gTLDs won't really be affected. Neither will the ccTLDs.
Even if .paris or .berlin get some traction they will never be worth more than .fr/.de.

BTW one of my favorite domain quotes is this: :D
In one particularly amusing anecdote, Dr. Mockapetris recalled that the original idea was to use ccTLDS only. When some members of the small group charged with setting up the system kept pressing for gTLDs as well, those who had opposed it finally relented, saying ".com will never amount to anything anyhow."
http://www.dnjournal.com/archive/lowdown/2009/april.htm

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Even if .paris or .berlin get some traction they will never be worth more than .fr/.de.
I fully agree. Comparing Localized tld's to national, national will win out in terms of usage and broad appeal. It also makes me wonder if there is a governing body that will restrict registrations. Originally, the governing body of the city of Berlin filed suit to stop the .berlin tld claiming infringement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

URL Shortener
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom