Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anyone gone "offline"

Status
Not open for further replies.

CorrectName.Com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Curious if others have offered local business websites.

Love to kick around thoughts with someone that has or is considering it.

I have some decent basic knowledge so I might be able to help as well.

Considering design, hosting...and well we all know it aint easy.

Love to exchange a few thoughts.

Best to all.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own a marketing company which works directly with developers who's entire businesses are offline. As I scale my business over the next year I'm looking to hire developers, writers and marketers to essentially become a one-stop shop.

I've noticed many of the "offline developers" create low quality websites which they overcharge for. I assume the people who look for local design companies aren't very familiar with the web and how it works; which allows them to be taken advantage of.

I personally will turn down a project if I think the business or website will fail and it works out well for me. If you only work with great people who have a solid plan you eliminate the risk of receiving poor feedback and it helps you create a solid reputation.

If you've got any questions of have a plan I'd be happy to go over it with you.

-Shane

CorrectName.Com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Shane,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for the delay.

After I got into domaining some ten years ago I saw what people were offering small business. I really thought I could offer better lower costs solutions, and make it simple.

After working with several friends, even the business owners understanding of the internet and what they can expect out of a website or myself is hard to believe.

I will hopefully write you more in the coming days as I still feel their is a need for this at least in my city. The person that is doing the best is charging $495 for artisteer sites and they make them worse by adding graphics and flash look to be built by someone that knows less than me.

Trying hard not to be a salesperson, but more to help these people, and tell them some truth, not the jump I am hearing from so many people in the business.

Best to you
Keith

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know a guy in Canada who is charging about $1500 per site (basic/5ish pages) and he is the WORST designer I've ever met.

I try to tell people what they should be spending and what to expect but they still see the Internet as this mystic medium to get rich quick. I try to be the "no" guy and manage their expectations from day one but it doesn't always work.

I'm in the process of scaling my business and am interested in opening a physical location in Colorado. I wouldn't mind talking business if you'd like. Would be nice to bounce ideas off someone who understands. lol.

-Shane

CorrectName.Com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny, you really almost hit the exact terms in my talks twice above. The first being
"realistic expectations"

I've had people say their business was failing and looking for a website to save them. Others expect to give me no input and the site to look like the pictured it.

The other is someone who understands. Comments like cant you just build a facebook fan page, or cant you just do affiliate marketing. Often time my reply is making money via the internet, especially for not doing a ton of work isnt exactly an orginal idea. My poor girlfriend was forced to read a clickbank and niche course, and had to pick a niche, product, domain, and even look at terms and who we were up against.

I mean there isnt a way to keep it exactly simple, and there is a bit of effort and thought that goes into the process. SO yeah I sure understand a ton of the problems we face, the simple solutions for many of these I'm bogging on. (simple things like domain ownership and or transfer, I've had IMPOSSIBLE times trying to get the owner to take delivery of their domains). People dont want to do things they dont understand, but they cant do truly nothing and still have a website. Which brings me to another nagging issues, add-ons and redesigns. All is done and ready, and think I want this over here and a slightly different color....Or cant just add this too

I mean I REALLY want the site to be as simple and straight forward as possible, as it should be. But I just cant do it all for you, because every business owner out there, at least in hindsight, does have ideas on color or their domain.

LOL just taking about it ticks me off. Just this morning was laughing at a friend because of "pictures" guy wanted pictures. You know I really do most time need pictures, and include them, but you "gotta" give me the dang things. And sure be glad to take them, but it takes planning. You cant tell me after the fact that what you wanted was a group picture of everybody in front of the building. I have grown to hate "time is money" but I cant drive 40 miles at $4 gas to talk about websites, cause you have been meaning to get one. I would have thought every business owner is painfully aware of the term "billable hours".

Talk soon Shane

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ugh don't even get me started on the ignorance of social media. "I've got a Facebook, Twitter, LinkedIn, YouTube and Pinterest account but I can't figure out why people aren't liking my page". Well, idiot, no one wants to like a website selling tampons. They think social media is about pumping their story and products to users. No one wants to be genuinely helpful anymore.

I'm all about minimal design. I generally find asking the client to draw the websites outline with a sharpie on a white piece of paper really helps. It allows them to see the bigger picture and understand the entire website needs a coherent design. I've run into many people who just hack together great parts of other websites without realizing that each page ISN'T its own website..

I tend to think the Internet is a magnet for lazy people and want-to-be entrepreneurs; which leaves opportunity for many mediocre businessmen to make a healthy profit. I just can't wrap my brain around accepting money for something that isn't going to help them. Shit, I've done free work for a guy I met because he overpaid for his website and was struggling with his online presence.

What types of websites do you usually build? Do you have a specialty?

CorrectName.Com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Recently I thought about trying to put together a small package for small business to....get linkin . CHeck their yelp, make twitter, linkin ...but quickly it turns into how far do you go. And next week there is pincrest or the flavor or the day, and then someone rolls out something different like timeline.

I just dont want business owners to fall into a chasing cycle that doesnt really get them far. I also dont want to write them weekly with the next thing I am selling. Not there is really anything wrong with that, its what some need, and tons want, but why not gear your business towards what makes sense to you.

We might have to work in whatever job we can get hired in, but it sure doesnt make good sense to develop a business ONLY on making money not something you like, or believe in.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Its called "word of mouth".

I have picked up a ton of consulting work this way, as well as site designs and name sales.

Getting connected with people you actually know and having them introduce you to other people is priceless.

I'm not talking about FaceBook bullshit of never knowing a single person or Linked In connections that you'll never likely connect with. I am talking person-to-person, an art form of meeting and negotiation that is vastly under-rated and unappreciated.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm not talking about FaceBook bullshit of never knowing a single person or Linked In connections that you'll never likely connect with.

Funny considering your signature :lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom