Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com
Status
Not open for further replies.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my domains unlocked so I can move them to Enom.. but haven't had any luck. Anyone have a great contact who could help me out?

Thanks!
Shane

GoDaddyGuy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Depending on the situation, you may or may not be able to get the names unlocked. For example, if they're new registrations or recently transferred (less than 60 days), the hold in place is mandated by ICANN and will not be removed. If the hold is due to a recent registrant contact change, we have a team who can review a request to unlock and may grant the request on a case-by-case basis.

To submit an unlock request, just email [email protected] with the domain names in question. They'll email back soon with a response.

-Alon

Last edited:

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Depending on the situation, you may or may not be able to get the names unlocked. For example, if they're new registrations or recently transferred (less than 60 days), the hold in place is mandated by ICANN and will not be removed. If the hold is due to a recent registrant contact change, we have a team who can review a request to unlock and may grant the request on a case-by-case basis.

To submit an unlock request, just email [email protected] with the domain names in question. They'll email back soon with a response.

-Alon

What change in the registrant contact would trigger a 60-day hold? Name, address, phone number or email?

Thanks,

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

-Alon

Thanks for the quick reply.

What change in the registrant contact would trigger a 60-day hold? Name, address, phone number or email?

Thanks,

Any change triggers the lock. I updated my contact details to reflect my recent move which triggered a lock. I called GoDaddy customer service and claimed it was ICANN policy. They were quick to offer me huge discounts on new registrations as I was "unable" to move my domains.

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'm trying to get my domains unlocked so I can move them to Enom.. but haven't had any luck. Anyone have a great contact who could help me out?

Thanks!
Shane

If Godaddy won't budge I would ask Enom to put pressure on them (if you are moving volume). Large registrars have clout with each other.

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Thanks,

All of the above and sneezing.

GoDaddyGuy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I want Godady to answer this question.

I'd be happy to answer. Unfortunately, there's a lot of confusion about this lock. In reality, it's really quite simple. The ONLY change that results in Go Daddy applying a 60-day lock is a change to the Registrant first name, last name or company name. That's it.

To clarify further, I'll point out that the registrant can be either an organization or an individual. The organization name takes precedence. So, if the 'organization' field is changed, removed, or added, a lock is applied. If there is nothing in the organization field, then a change to either the first name or last name results in a lock. In contrast, a change to the first or last name does NOT cause a lock if the organization field is filled and does not change. There's no other condition in which we apply what we refer to as a "transfer hold".

Since we're talking about it, I also want to explain WHY we do this. The idea is that we want to protect domain names from theft. If a domain name is moved to another registrar without authorization, there are certain procedures we can follow to try to get it back, and our ability to get it back is greatly influenced by the legal registrant *at the time of transfer*. In other words, if you lost a domain name to an unauthorized transfer, but it was YOUR name in the registrant field when it entered the new registrar, we have a much better chance of getting it back for you by relying on ICANN's transfer policy. If the new registrar never saw the original registrant's name (because it was changed prior to the unauthorized transfer), they have no obligation to work with us to reverse the transfer.

So, we don't care if you change your address, telephone number, or any other part of your registration that isn't the legal registrant. We're not trying to "hold your domain hostage". We just want to protect our customers from theft because the potential impact of a lost domain is so dramatic. By the way, we've taken other measures to help prevent theft as well. For example, we recently began offering two-step authentication for your login. This article explains how to enable it: http://x.co/pZGn

I hope this explanation helps ease some of the concerns you might have about our transfer hold process. As I mentioned in my previous reply, we will consider requests to remove this transfer hold on a case-by-case basis. You can email [email protected] to make the request.

Last edited:

DomainsInc

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So i can change the email address as well and not end up with the domain locked?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi GodaddyGuy

it would be a good policy for GD to register and pursue thru WIPO/UDRP policy, ALL godaddy typo domains, in an effort to prevent email phishing attempts which have caused many gd customers to loose their domain names.

these attempts often use "ICANN Notifications" as subject in emails.

as such, this "exclusive" policy which GD has enacted as a "prevention measure" to secure domains, can also seen a prohibitive measure for legitimate domain owners at GD, when they wouldn't have to endure same restrictions at other registrars.

i truly believe that if GD took the advice offered, they could effectly eliminate or substantially reduce, the threat of stolen domains thru phishing attempts.

imo...

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't feel that adding my business name justifies a 60 day lock. I think it's a weak attempt from a large company to retain customers without providing any real value.

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So i can change the email address as well and not end up with the domain locked?

I thought the email is your driver license on the Internet as you would need the account id and email to do the transfer.
Big Loop Hole here. Who care about the name or company name!!!! Something is really wrong.

GoDaddyGuy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Yes, the email address can be changed without any lock. Of course, if the registrant name is changed at the same time, there would be a lock.

GoDaddyGuy

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't feel that adding my business name justifies a 60 day lock. I think it's a weak attempt from a large company to retain customers without providing any real value.

As I explained in my previous response, the lock is to protect the customer from theft. As soon as a company name is added, the registrant has changed - that's how ICANN sees it, and it affects the recourse we have as a registrar when it comes to recovering the name after an unauthorized transfer.

If you're unhappy with the lock, contact [email protected] to request it be unlocked. I can't guarantee they will grant it, but contacting them is the appropriate next step.

oldtimer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Change of email is as important if not more important than the change of name. IMO

Also why do we need to have a 60 day lock, why not just a 15 day lock.

-

Johnn

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Change of email is as important if not more important than the change of name. IMO

Also why do we need to have a 60 day lock, why not just a 15 day lock.

-
For the convenience as they already have the [email protected]. Otherwise they have to create another email [email protected]

I still don't understand the reasoning for the lock other than a reason to hold hostage.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom