Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anyone heard of Jeffrey Cohen?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I just received a threating letter (via registered US Mail) which is essentially a reverse hijacking attempt. I own CustodyCalendar.com, and he apparently owns CustodyCalendar.net. His letter, on list law firm stationary, states that I'm infringing on "his client"'s "famous" trademark and website. His website is not operational, and according to several sources, never has been. It has ZERO listings in any search engine, and is just a logo with a several non-functioning links, except for one, which is a link to an email address. He claims to be representing a company, a dba, but the name is registered to himself personally, and the domain in his email address (internetlitigators.com) is also registered to him personally. His site makes no mention at all of the custodycalendar.net web site. His rambling letter also claims that selling domain names is illegal, etc etc etc.

There is NO trademark filing on the name, and I haven't been able to find state registration of the company name he mentions. In short, he's attempting to hijack the domain name with a serious of false and libelous claims, fails to disclose that he personally is the real owner of custodaycalendar.net, and doing so using his law firm's letterhead. In addition, the name itself is GENERIC.

I'm now considering contacting the US Post Office to file a mail fraud complaint, as well as the California Bar Association.

Any other thoughts on this before I get to work on this joker? I'm wondering if he has contacted anyone else here.

Thanks!

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hmmm... I see that they are using "doorway" pages on their legal site, so there are more pages you can see only from the search engine. This is on one if the hidden pages at internetlitigators.com:

-------

InternetLitigators handles all aspects of trademark and copyright prosecution for Internet domains and content. We also litigate, arbitrate and/or mediate all forms of disputes arising out of domain name registration trademark and copyright use. Our familiarity and experience with the Uniform Domain Name Dispute Policy under ICANN make us uniquely qualified to handle all levels and types of domain name disputes before the World Intellectual Property Organization, all Federal Jurisdictions and other worldwide tribunals.

In general, the ICANN Uniform Domain Name Dispute Policy allows an administrative proceeding to be submitted in accordance with the RULES to arbitration where

(1) your domain name is identical or confusingly similar to a trademark or service mark in which the complainant has rights; and

(2) you have no rights or legitimate interests in respect of the domain name; and

(3) your domain name has been registered and is being used in bad faith.
InternetLitigators has also been involved in the procurement of "squatted" domains. Our litigation and negotiation experience allows us to properly and effectively commence confidential negotiations with an eye toward efficient and cost effective domain procurement while at the same time remaining fully able and ready to vigorously handle full litigation over the rights to the domain if necessary.

Our experience includes the representation of clients both as the Trademark owner (complainant) and as the Domain Owner (registrant).

--------

So... anyone ever HIRED this guy, or is it more of his B.S.?

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Someone other than JuniperPark should try to sign up at www.custodycalendar.net using the "join" link (which appears to be the only operative one).

It is just a "mailto" link, so be sure to ask how much membership costs, how soon you can join, and what do you get. I have a fiver in my pocket that says there is no commerce going on in connection with his alleged "service mark".

The various addresses for "internetlitigators.com" look a little fishy. You'll notice that there are no attorneys named on the site, but "litigatorS" gives the impression that there is more than one attorney involved. It is not unusual for solo practitioners with egos larger than their practice to use the royal "we".

Running the LA address:
Chapman & Glucksman (310) 207-7722 11900 W Olympic Blvd # 800

Here's a picture of your moron:
http://www.cgdlawyers.com/description.asp?PARTNER_ID=12

The Riverside CA address is also a Chapman & Glucksman address.

The Costa Mesa address corresponds to:
Stephan, Oringher, Richman & Theodora
http://www.sortlaw.com/

The Walnut Creek address smells like a maildrop:
http://www.easyoffices.com/results.cfm?id=1603

The CA bar disciplinary authority is:
Mike Nisperos
Chief Trial Counsel
State Bar of California
1149 South Hill Street, 10th Floor
Los Angeles, CA 90015-2299
Phone: (213) 765-1000
Fax: (213) 765-1029

And the rules of conduct are here:

http://www.calbar.ca.gov/state/calb...nal-Conduct_Current-Rules_pub250_1995rpc.html

Unlike many state rules, the CA rules are relatively weak in the "you shouldn't lie to people" department.

Set phasers to "well done", Scotty...

For extra chuckles, write to www.dadsdivorce.com and tell them you looked all over their website at custodycalendar.net and you couldn't find any manuals for their "DadsDivorce Custody Calendar" software.

Sharpy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:

"Mr. Cohen was born in Los Angeles, California. In 1987"

com'on ya gotta give the guy some credit! He's only 17. He "earned" his juris doctorate degree from Pepperdine University School of Law. In 1988 when he was 1 etc. etc.

I'm thinkin' we should rename the Legal Issues forum to the "Jeffrey A. Cohen" forum.

Nameable

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sharpy said:
com'on ya gotta give the guy some credit! He's only 17. He "earned" his juris doctorate degree from Pepperdine University School of Law. In 1988 when he was 1 etc. etc.

You missed the period there. Maybe it's the font - the comma looks more like a period. Here's the whole paragraph:

Mr. Cohen was born in Los Angeles, California. In 1987, he earned a bachelor's degree in advertising from the business school at Arizona State University. In 1990, he earned his juris doctorate degree from Pepperdine University School of Law. In 1988, he was a member of the Oxford Moot Court Competition, in Oxford, England.

:)

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lol

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"Mr. Cohen was born in Los Angeles, California."

Yesterday, apparently.

Has anyone found out what you need to do to become a "member" of this jerk's "famous" website?

"In 1988, he was a member of the Oxford Moot Court Competition, in Oxford"

Oh, for a minute there I thought he was in the Oxford Moot Court Competition in Akron, Ohio. It's a good thing he cleared that up.

"In 2004, he was elected 'Most Likely To Become An Object Of Public Scorn And Ridicule' by the Hoboken Malpractice Society, of Hoboken, New Jersey."

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I noticed that Mr. Cohen has registered
InternetLitigators.com (.net & .org). But, not .info

If someone wants to get into a spitting contest.

Register .info. And, put up a site with a logo. And,
place a (sm) on it.

And, send him a C&D letter.

But, before you do it. Realize you are playing on his home field.

I also noticed that a different law firm registered InternetLitigator.com

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
JuniperPark said:
I just received a threating letter (via registered US Mail) which is essentially a reverse hijacking attempt. I own CustodyCalendar.com, and he apparently owns CustodyCalendar.net. His letter, on list law firm stationary, states that I'm infringing on "his client"'s "famous" trademark and website. His website is not operational, and according to several sources, never has been. It has ZERO listings in any search engine, and is just a logo with a several non-functioning links, except for one, which is a link to an email address. He claims to be representing a company, a dba, but the name is registered to himself personally, and the domain in his email address (internetlitigators.com) is also registered to him personally. His site makes no mention at all of the custodycalendar.net web site. His rambling letter also claims that selling domain names is illegal, etc etc etc.

There is NO trademark filing on the name, and I haven't been able to find state registration of the company name he mentions. In short, he's attempting to hijack the domain name with a serious of false and libelous claims, fails to disclose that he personally is the real owner of custodaycalendar.net, and doing so using his law firm's letterhead. In addition, the name itself is GENERIC.

I'm now considering contacting the US Post Office to file a mail fraud complaint, as well as the California Bar Association.

Any other thoughts on this before I get to work on this joker? I'm wondering if he has contacted anyone else here.

Thanks!

Unfortunately, when you receive a C&D from a legit legal source, you should seriously consider a response. Lack of response can be construed as admission of guilt.

Your personal response could read simply;

Hello,

In reference to 'domain name' - I deny your accusations... period.

signed.

OR, if the domain name is valuable to you, find a good IT lawyer to handle your response.

quack :approve:

JuniperPark

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Wow... you guys are full if ideas, information and links... thanks!!

I actually received the C&D on Friday, and did send the email as suggested. There has been no response, as expected.

There were 2 reasons I posted about this C&D, althought I have a nice collection of them:
1) I suspect this isn't the first time he's done this
2) This is a CLEAR case of someone trying to use the fact that he has a .NET name to get a free .COM name with NO filed trademark and no legitimate business. This could be important to the rest of you.

And, as John alluded, there is an existing software product by this name at DadsDivorce.com.

There are certainly some interesting twists as you all have pointed out. His "company" he "represents" and is making fraudulant claims is his own sole proprietorship, which means his own personal assets are at risk. I should see if he owns any property :)

It appears he works for a larger law firm, and is using their office letterhead to make these threats. I wonder what the partner would say if I take this to them, and include them in a bar assn. complaint?

But I think the most interesting aspect is that the US Postal service may look at this as mail fraud, a federal crime.

Stay tuned :)

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"This is a CLEAR case of someone trying to use the fact that he has a .NET name to get a free .COM name with NO filed trademark and no legitimate business. This could be important to the rest of you."

I see several of those in the average month. I reserve my "extra crispy" c&d responses for those sorts of claims.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
jberryhill said:
"Has anyone found out what you need to do to become a "member" of this jerk's "famous" website?

I went to www.CustodyCalendar.net
I sent an email about joining. And, here is their response.
Note that they incorrectly use the .com address, as the return address.

-----Original Message-----
Sent: Tuesday, April 27, 2004 3:02 PM
Subject: New Member Application

Thank you for your interest in CustodyCalendar - your shared calendar resource. At the present time we are in the process of updating our on-line membership application and web site. During this period we are not accepting new applications. If you wish to be notified when the membership application again becomes available please REPLY to this email with UPDATE in the subject line. You will be added to our announcement list and notified when the on-line application again becomes available.

We are excited about our re-design which incorporates features which we believe will make CustodyCalendar even more user friendly than it has been in the past. We have increased our customer capacity, calendar options and functionality. We are confident you will agree and we look forward to serving you in the near future.

Best Regards

CustodyCalendar

domainduck

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The question will remain - How much is it worth to you?

How much are you prepared to spend in arbitration?

Ridiculous claims are still claims.

And remember that these threads are indexed by Google, so you may want to think twice about what you make public.

quack

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"At the present time we are in the process of updating our on-line membership application and web site."

Oh definitely ask to be updated. Someone else should confirm whether it is an auto-responder. Send him the text of the Gettysburg Address, and see if you get the same thing back.

Funny how all of their existing members don't have any way to log in while they are updating this "famous" service.

"even more user friendly than it has been in the past"

Tell him you'll settle for the old version for now.

What a crock of hooey.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom