Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anyone know of a good host? SRLNet.com flaked on me.

Status
Not open for further replies.

ssanders

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hey guys.

Basically, NerdHelp.com gets almost 3,000 uniques a day. Almost 100% of our traffic is from search engines and people looking for solutions and coming to our site. I have a special mod for my Invision Board that makes the pages super easy for spiders to crawl and caché.

The new version of Invision Board does not have this feature, so if I were to upgrade to it, I would loose practically all of my traffic, and any traffic coming in would receive a 404 page. So you can see how I can not do this.

Anyways, I contacted SRLNet to ask them about some hacking threats i've been getting on my site and what I could do to counterattack the hacking of my site. They gave me some advice and asked me if I was using all updated versions of scripts. I said that I was on most...however not my forum and I explained why. They then suspended my website and told me:

"Then I will be forced to suspend that domain. It is the customers responsibility to
maintain security of any scripts that they have installed."

I don't understand....I pay on time, I never miss a payment...and I keep all of my content legal and up to standards.

However...because I am not willing to update my scripts, my hosting is planned to be terminated.

================

Now that you understand why I need a new hosting account, let me tell you what I need:

I'm looking for the same sort of package that I had at SRLNet, I was paying 33.60 a month for:

- 4 GB Storage Space
- 45 GB Transfer
- Multiple Domains
- CPanel/WHM

I know I may not get the same price...but I want something close to that because I can afford that.

I think any host would be lucky to have me as a client...I'm very easy going, I don't complain alot or ask alot of questions (unless it's an emergency that I have no power over) because I'm a nerd and can fix most things myself or with help of my friends at NerdHelp.com.

I also always pay on time and never miss a payment.

So if you can help me, please post or PM me your offers or links to your hosting service.

If possible, please send me a link to a client that uses your service so I can test speeds.

The only rules I have on hosts are:

1. they must be an established host (can't be brand new)
2. they must have good uptime
3. they must have good server speed

Basically, I'm looking for a host that is as good as SRLNet was...only less dictator-like.

Thanks for the help guys. I look forward to your replies.

Steen

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello,

Unfortuanatly, bad hosts are very common and I (and many) have gone through a fair share :(

I really like the services of Omegasphere.net. great uptime, better support!

Not the cheapest though, but after a few falls (with crap hosts), priceing is not at the top of the priorities for a good host.

All the best!

ssanders

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you for your reply, I'll look into them. =)

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Raises an interesting problem and one would have hoped that your host would have been less dictatorial, however if any hosting company allows insecure scripts on his/her server then it could put other users hosted on the server at risk in terms of loss of content, loss of server speed etc, etc.
So in principle your host is acting, (albeit seems harsh), to protect other users on the server and themselves - remember also that you told them that you had received hacking threats!
Although your mod seems like a good idea maybe it would be better to sacrifice that so as to ensure that you are taking the greatest care to prevent unauthorised interference to others on the server.
Alternatively you might want to investigate the option of a VPS, where you would be unlikely to affect others on the server, alas you might not get what you want for the money you stipulate.

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes, I have to agree that hosting on shared servers is not only your business, so your host does have the responsibility to look out for their other customers (you actually being one of them). If your traffic or revenue deserves one, go for a dedicated server and you might have a better bargaining position with similar situation.

Anyway, you won't be going back to SRLNet.com, so check out DreamHost.com; they are still running a limited time offer of 50% off their most popular plan which is usually $39.95/mo. They also have dedicated server hosting if you decide to go that route.

I have been using DreamHost for more than 4 years now, and recommending them to my friends and clients. By the way, I don't have any financial interest with them (except host/client relationship) ... unless you insist, of course. ;)

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
((Mod Edit - Steve, please remember that self-promotion is not permitted outside of the Advertising Forum - Please PM your information if you wish to assist personally, thank you.)) Sorry Mod - My Mistake - Was just attempting to help - Not my part of the company anyhow. Will not happen again.

gph

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've used Powersurge.net for the past 4-5 years and have had excellent experiences with both their Linux and Windows-based packages. I have no financial connection to them either :) DO stay AWAY from Interland or Dialtone-Interland - had MANY bad experiences with them.

gph

pavsta

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
i have been using infrenion.com for ages and never have had a problem! they may not be the cheapest around but there customer support, security and extras are amazing! I still use the old invision power board version and they dont mind because everything is secure!

NameWolf

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with nameslave and Mr Webname. Hosting forums on especially shared hosting environments is always risky and the hosts needs to look out for the interests of all other clients hosted on the same server especially with mysql limitations.

Regards,

Giant

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom