Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Anyone know true TLD Domain Lifecycle?

Status
Not open for further replies.

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Trying to get a difinitive answer on the domain lifecycle for a TLD is like getting blood out of a stone.

Take ICANN for example: http://www.icann.org/en/registrars/gtld-lifecycle.htm

This diagram clearly shows that a TLD can be registered for between 1 and 10 years and then if it isn't re-registered at the end of this period then it expires.

Then for 45 days its in Auto Renew Period where you can still renew it or transfer it

Then for next 30 days it's in Redemption Grace period for 30 days where you can still renew it but cannot transfer it.

Then pending delete for 5 days where you have lost it and then available again

Can anyone tell me if I am interpreting this correct. If not please correct me because this link gives a different explanation http://www.dynadot.com/resource/article/qa.html?aid=5

And then this one is different again: http://www.lowpricedomains.com/domain-life.php

Please only participate in this thread if you know what you are talking about

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Auto Renew Period is between 0 and 45 days at the registrars discretion

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

So am I right in saying there are 3 possible timelines to buy domains:

1. New & available

2. Aged domains - From 60 days after registration (because you cannot transfer at this point) up until end of 45 auto renew grace period (should registrar give grace).

3. At the end of pending delete by back ordering

This means that if domain is in Redemption grace period (30 day period after the auto renew grace period) or pending delete then there is now way to get your hands on the domain during this period, unless owner renews?

Also does anyone know what Namejet's pre-release is all about. I have bought domains in there and they have kept their creation date. Normally when I back order (and win) a deleting domain they lose their creation date. I'm not complaining I would just like to fully understand more

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So am I right in saying there are 3 possible timelines to buy domains:

1. New & available

2. Aged domains - From 60 days after registration (because you cannot transfer at this point) up until end of 45 auto renew grace period (should registrar give grace).

3. At the end of pending delete by back ordering
....//

No, in point 2, transfer means transfer to another registrar. You can still buy or sell the name and transfer ownership to the buyer at the current registrar

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score

Like it

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

No, in point 2, transfer means transfer to another registrar. You can still buy or sell the name and transfer ownership to the buyer at the current registrar

Ah so if it's in redemption grace then you can still transfer to another user but they must have (or set up) an account with that registrar?

Honan

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Like it

---------- Post added at 04:25 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:24 PM ----------

Ah so if it's in redemption grace then you can still transfer to another user but they must have (or set up) an account with that registrar?

I meant in the first 60 days after reg. you can sell it and transfer to another user at the same registrar
If it is in redemption grace, you would need to redeem it by renewing before you could change the ownership

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I meant in the first 60 days after reg. you can sell it and transfer to another user at the same registrar
If it is in redemption grace, you would need to redeem it by renewing before you could change the ownership

Ok that makes sense - so redeeming is just renewing

---------- Post added at 04:43 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:41 PM ----------

I thought that they had to stick to it? What would happen if they decided not to allow the 45 day auto renew? What would happen to the 30 day redemption grace period?

---------- Post added at 04:59 PM ---------- Previous post was at 04:43 PM ----------

Why would you trust some unauthoritative sources instead of ICANN?

By the way, this is DNForum, that last line in your post is not really necessary.

I love this forum but I've had bad advice before now and I just didn't want it again

domaingeezer

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Also does anyone know how late you can back order a domain. Can you backorder it when it's in 5 day pending delete stage?

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You can backorder a domain whenever you want, even when it's still active.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom