Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Anyone regret their prior sales?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For a while now I've been sometimes strolling through the sale threads here on the site. Mainly those from 2004 & older.
A lot of you guys has your hands on real premium dot coms then.
I opened up the IDN market & fully know history should repeat itself.
So for thinking about what to do with my generic Japanese portfolio I just looked at where the domain market was two to three years ago.

I saw lots of domainers with one word generics & common phrase domains. These are still on the site but not in abundant like what I saw years ago. Certainly these domains are not going for the prices they did back then.

Do any of you that were domaining in that period have any regrets (small or big), like
I should have held on to my top 5 at least
If I sold, I should have bought better domains from others with the money
I sold all my good stuff & after that quality domains were just hard to get at prices lower than I sold mine for
I shouldn't have taken the quick buck & spent it.
I bought too many registrations & should have just concentrated on quality domains. (might be hard to answer)

Some on the otherhand had great portfolios & wanted to just cashout (family, house, kids, etc). It may not be regrets but I'd like to hear your point of view on the market 2 years or 3 years ago compared to now & the kinds of domains you guys used to have.

I know many are not into the IDN market & that's a respectible choice but I'm asking because I got fully into the market before many & helped develop it. For me it was like domaining 5 to 10 years ago. I have "some" of the top 1 & 2 word Japanese keyword domains in these areas: entertainment, loans, alcohol, travel, & a few others. Even in my market domains I've sold are already being flipped for multiple times I've sold them for.

This is not about IDNs (Please don't make this a discussion into whether you are for or against) but I do see that domains sold just 2 or 3 years ago could easily get about 10 times the amount they were sold for now.

Any replies are appreciated.

Domain Days 2024

typeins

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes plenty of .com sales i regret from pre-2001..

Why we hardly sell anything these days unless its double what we want for it lol

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reply
I'm also not trying to imply at all that members are in bad situations currently that were around back then. I also checked old versions of portfolio sites to see the domains being sold & prices. Many have upgraded their stock, but that wasn't my focus. It's not asking in disrepect of the industry.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
If the name is a great name then I have to get my price so I have no regrets. I have just under 2,000 domains, though I had close to 4,000 at one time....and I didn't buy my first name until around 13 months ago.

I buy and sell a bunch of names but I will have to get paid-off on the life-changers. I did buy a name for $300 on this board last year and then sold it a month later for a little over $800.....I wouldn't mind having it back.....I didn't realize the traffic was so hard to come by.

I sold a package of names for 15K on this board...fair deal.....but I wish I had about three of those names right now.

It's kind of hard for an experienced domainer to make a big mistake at this point. The cat is kinda out of the bag, but I would think that most everyone in the business before 2000 has plenty of horror stories (I would like to hear them as well).

All I know is that King.com sold for 150K last year and it seemed like a good deal for the buyer. Less than a year later it seems like a crazy-good deal for the buyer. Most every single big sale listed in the last two years looks like a bargain to me.

Congrats on your IDN investment and knowledge. I am anti-IDN because 90 percent of the people don't know what they are doing and should be buying names like Dumb in Swahili. I said all along that if you don't have an advantage then you shouldn't be buying anything...a good eye is all you need. I've seen some of the dotcom portfolios of some of the IDN and alternate extention crowd, and those names are really...quack quack.

You are the type of investor who I hope makes millions in IDNs.

The bottom line is that names have a certain value at a given time, and if you sell for a little more than the current going rate then you are doing what you are supposed to be doing. If you have a name that has a current value of $5,000 and you sell it for $10,000, and it then triples in price in the next 24 months then you cannot have any regrets. I think there are lots of people who aren't into domains who will be regretting letting names go for what they thought was a great price, but the buyer was way ahead of them. This probably happened a lot in the last 2-3 years. Those days are pretty much over as most everybody who has a great domain is aware of it. The outright robberies of the naive will be fewer, but great deals are everywhere.

GT Web

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't really have any regrets in this business - at least none that are so obvious I can remember then offhand. If I went back through all my sales I could probably find a couple I wish I had held on to...but that would be time not spent finding or developing new names or sites.

A wise man once said "one achieves success never by focusing on what is behind him, but always by focusing on what is ahead of him "

britishbulldog

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If we all could read the future we would me all millionaires i regret selling my houses last year, the year before ,5 years ago 10 years ! and many other people the same whether domains or real estate !

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
It still would be nice to hear about the obvious homeruns that people used to own.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
GT Web said:
A wise man once said "one achieves success never by focusing on what is behind him, but always by focusing on what is ahead of him "

And my momma told me
"Boy you don't know your past, you won't know your future"

But I think every Black American mother says that to their kids...

Anyway I appreciate the replies so far all of them. I think info & stories keep people focused on their business goals.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Back in '99-2000 I had over 300 "www" "no dot" typos , and many good 2 word .com's ,had no idea there was parking for revenue , got pinched for money somewhat and let them all drop and went on to something else, entered back in domains a couple years ago, if I had these today with the monetization available......arhggg.....

DomainFatigue

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Lots of regrets on my end but just as many rewards... I started buying domains in '99 through register.com at $35 reg and renewal a year. I just couldn't keep renewing them all and I didn't know about monetizing traffic... I let many drop that I now regret, gave up others that I should have fought for, and sold some that might have made me even more in the long run via parking or development...

Anybody else? I know a lot of you players have one you remember...

Actually I stand corrected. I started with network solutions and then went to register.com before moving on. It's been a while.

URLtrader

Domain Champ
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I regret refusing a high $$$$$ offer for one domain during those heady days.

URLtrader

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom