Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

anyone tried the new google maps?

Status
Not open for further replies.

csitenet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
http://maps.google.co.uk/

click on the SATELITE images , and try and find your house :) i can fully zoom in london but edinburgh still doesn't fully zoom in, funny enough i could find the north korean nuke centre :)

Very high quality satelite images, Great work GOOGLE :)

slavahosting

Level 6
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Google has an application. Google Earch, same stuff but more features, and its on your desktop so I like it better. But this is a cool tool for people with older PC's or dialup connections.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google maps have been around for a while. Google Earth is their new thing. Also, answers.google.com I noticed a couple weeks ago.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just noticed that they switched keyhole.com > google earth

guess they want everything under one brand'

it's a really cool tool.. i know a lot of people who use it. trial is free

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Google maps are nice and all, but have a serious flaw ... there's no distance scale shown - so one has no idea how far apart two points are...

I, and many others, have sent numerous comments to Google about the lack of distance scale, but to no avail - not sure why, because Yahoo's maps have a distance scale ... is it really that hard for Google to add it too, but on the bright side, Google's over-head aerial view is cool though.

Ron

SouthernTn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Does it ever take a live picture, or update the pictures it has.. Ive tryed it different times during different weeks and I always get the same picture during the same day.

Domagon

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The images have been compiled from various sources with most being at least a year or more old with some much older than that ... came across images over 5 years old already; some areas have few to no images at all.

Ron

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Domagon said:
The images have been compiled from various sources with most being at least a year or more old with some much older than that ... came across images over 5 years old already; some areas have few to no images at all.

Ron

For me whenever I check I get the same image of my area which is at least a year old.

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Togoodhlth said:
For me whenever I check I get the same image of my area which is at least a year old.

That is because these are not live images. Think the government would allow us to access a live satellite? Look, its Togooddhlth sitting in his front yard :)

I tried Google Earth last night. It is pretty neat how it rotates as the Earth rotates.

SirSpider

Trying to Retire!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Not meaning to bump up a month old thread... :-D

...but the Google Maps API provides some really neat possibilities and is worth mentioning. I have been fooling with locating "closest" hotels to most of the golf courses in the United States. Check out the course detail page on www.GolfCourse.ws. It is still a work in progress, but getting closer to being where I want it to be. For many of the courses there is enough satellite detail to show the layout of the course - sandtraps, greens and all.

Google is really entrenching itself as the 800 pound gorilla... :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom