Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Anyone Worked with someone else to develop site?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ClaireB

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello, everyone, I am new here.
I have several domain names I consider most valuable though I learned that value in the eyes of people specializing in domain names has to do mostly with ovt.
Once I develop sites with these domain names they will have great results.
If I get help to develop the domains (it is a matter of time available) what would be a good arrangement?

I know I can pay a student to do what I think should be done with most of the domain names but am not in a position to pay per hour.

If I ask someone related to me to help with this, what would be a good percentage of the sales price to give her?

If, on the other hand, I ask someone else with more experience to help develop the site, what would be a fair arrangement?

Did any of you make such arrangements?

Thanks

Claire

dotNetKing

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Probably a little tricky.

One or two people here have offered to do simple but reasonable design for very modest prices.

I have someone to do my Spanish design work I want for around $1.40 an hour, a pretty good rate by local standards.

If you plan to sell the domains as soon as the work is done, and have a good idea of how much you will get, you should be able to work out a payment taking into account real cost of the domain to you, your effort in developing it and selling it, your profit and a fair amount to pay the person who helps you.

My 2 centavos.

p.s. I am also part way into negotiations to develop a domain for the current owner (too expensive for me to buy).

With this, I and my designer would probably be getting 75% of income earned from the site and the owner 25%. The owner would not sell the domain to someone else unless he had a really high offer, and then there would be an agreed split of the sales price to take into account the work we had done.

ClaireB

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
dotNetKing said:
Probably a little tricky.

One or two people here have offered to do simple but reasonable design for very modest prices.

I have someone to do my Spanish design work I want for around $1.40 an hour, a pretty good rate by local standards.

If you plan to sell the domains as soon as the work is done, and have a good idea of how much you will get, you should be able to work out a payment taking into account real cost of the domain to you, your effort in developing it and selling it, your profit and a fair amount to pay the person who helps you.

My 2 centavos.

p.s. I am also part way into negotiations to develop a domain for the current owner (too expensive for me to buy).

With this, I and my designer would probably be getting 75% of income earned from the site and the owner 25%. The owner would not sell the domain to someone else unless he had a really high offer, and then there would be an agreed split of the sales price to take into account the work we had done.

Thank you. I thought that I saw someone on another forum ask for names he wanted to develop sites with, saying he proposes to split the income from sponsored ads 50/50. But I have no idea what such a person would expect if the domain were sold.

Claire

Dale Hubbard

Formerly 'aZooZa'
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
What's probably as important is that you come to an understanding as to who owns the intellectual property rights in the work done. That is usually best kept as a separate arrangment over and above any sharing of revenue etc.

ClaireB

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
aZooZa said:
What's probably as important is that you come to an understanding as to who owns the intellectual property rights in the work done. That is usually best kept as a separate arrangment over and above any sharing of revenue etc.

You are absolutely right. I always write myself agreements which the other party has to sign and whichever arrangement I will make, if I use anyone for one or two names, then I will say x% in exchange for work done, detail the work to be done and the maintenance, and specify active marketing and efforts to obtain buyers,and specify that I am the copyright owner.

Harvey Mackay (Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive) is absolutely right when he says to never take a partner. It never really works. He says the only partner he has is his wife (and this is for personal life).

Mr. Deleted

DNForum Mod
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Harvey Mackay (Swim With The Sharks Without Being Eaten Alive) is absolutely right when he says to never take a partner. It never really works. He says the only partner he has is his wife (and this is for personal life).
LOL, I know that by experience, but I do currently have a good pardner and hopefully this one will work out.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom