Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Appraisal Value vs. Sold Price

Status
Not open for further replies.

levanle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi experts,
Please tell us newbies here about your experience with the appraisal services, ie. how did the appraised values of your domains compare to the real final amounts that you got when you sold them.
Please give us your experience and advice about:
- Automatic appraisal tools like SwiftAppraisal
- Paid appraisals at different companies like GoDaddy, Sedo, etc. (those that they charge like $15 to $29 each)
- Premium appraisal service ($50 each, if I'm not mistaken)

Thanks!
Levanle

interactx

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My experience with appraisals is probably like most domainers. You wonder if a real person ever looked at it.

We had one domain appraised by one automatic appraisal company and it seemed like they were trying to flatter us. We jumped up and down because it was the price of a new car.

Then the other appraiser, for the same name, gave a price that made us wonder why we bothered to register it. Very discouraging.

Personally, I would never do an automatic appraisal. They get a good chunk of money, they should put a little time into it, not just run it through a program. There are a lot of variables that should be considered. The domain's field has its own nuances that deserve consideration.

Pricing is tricky of course. Too low of a price might imply a lack of confidence. Too high is a matter of opinion. Certain industries justify expensive domains. And it depends on how exposed your domain is to the interested buyer.

I don't know if this answered the question, just my opinion and experience. :smile:

levanle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for sharing, Interactx.
Did you sell the domain? If so, how was the price sold compared to the appraised value?

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
appraisals are just a money making scheme , worthless.

david4

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
My experience with appraisals is probably like most domainers. You wonder if a real person ever looked at it.

We had one domain appraised by one automatic appraisal company and it seemed like they were trying to flatter us. We jumped up and down because it was the price of a new car.

Then the other appraiser, for the same name, gave a price that made us wonder why we bothered to register it. Very discouraging.

Personally, I would never do an automatic appraisal. They get a good chunk of money, they should put a little time into it, not just run it through a program. There are a lot of variables that should be considered. The domain's field has its own nuances that deserve consideration.

Pricing is tricky of course. Too low of a price might imply a lack of confidence. Too high is a matter of opinion. Certain industries justify expensive domains. And it depends on how exposed your domain is to the interested buyer.

I don't know if this answered the question, just my opinion and experience. :smile:

Helpful, Thank you! interactx

levanle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I guess a domain name, like a painting, can be sold at whatever price that the seller and buyer feel satistied with. They are not like houses, where you have a relatively stable market, they statisfy a specific need, they can be easily compared with each other, and they are bought and sold all the time, everywhere.
Just for that reason, it is important that we need to be more informed about the appraisal services out there. If we share our experiences it will benefit all of us.
I tried an automatic appraisal on GoDaddy, then the next day I ordered a certified appraisal. Both results are exactly the same :-(

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
They are mostly worthless. The only time I would do one was at the demand of the buyer, and he would be fitting the bill for it.

Save your money.

Jay

levanle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just took a couple of the domains sold today at Afternic and compare the real price vs appraised price:
DomainName: SoldPrice vs. AppraisedValue (small value)
businessstore.com: 2200 vs. 2600
listthis.com: 250 vs. 1600
bmwshowroom.com: 520 vs. 620
maxpenis.com :D 1000 vs. 860
bikedesign.com: 550 vs 4000

3 out of 5 above have quite accurate appraisal value.
However the other 2 have big differences. I also saw one DN that is being sold in this forum for $15 that appraised for $1400 :D

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
the real appraisers in the domain world are the buyers, what they are willing to pay is the true appraisal, all others mean absolutely ziltch.

interactx

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh yeh, about that domain. Never sold it.
As a buyer you want to sell your domains. Two different times a buyer said they were interested but wanted an appraisal. And they named the specific appraisor they trusted. After the appraisal, no word from them again. I think they were just a shill for the appraisal company. So watch out for the tricksters and scamsters.

levanle

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Oh yeh, about that domain. Never sold it.
As a buyer you want to sell your domains. Two different times a buyer said they were interested but wanted an appraisal. And they named the specific appraisor they trusted. After the appraisal, no word from them again. I think they were just a shill for the appraisal company. So watch out for the tricksters and scamsters.

That IS a very good advice!
I'd better have the buyer to pay for the fee.

ClickEarn

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
appraisals ??? HaHaHaHa:greenuhoh:

Flush your money down the crapper instead. At lease you can get
a thrill out of watching the swirling action

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom