Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

appraise appraisal

This thread is an appraisal of the domain name requested.
Domain summit 2024

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Windows" is a Microsoft trademark, this name can only lead to trouble

Drop it ASAP

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Up to 100K in legal fees under ACPA.

domainoid

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
why would you want to pick a fight with microsoft? i'd delete it from my account if i were you.

Kaspars

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I want to Resell & Distribut windows 10 and other Microsoft products on this domain. If Microsoft allows.

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If you got permission from them, then that would be fine

Dont do it without asking because that is benefiting financially from their TM

kollam003

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Why should they allow you to run something of what is rightfully theirs?

Pandemic

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that's true. If you have a legitimate related business to use for it, you can most likely use the name no problem. Your very worst case scenario is that microsoft files a complaint with ICANN, and you simply lose the domain, and that's about it. And that's if they were to prevail. I know this because I was sued 4 or 5 times back in the .mobi days for cyber squatting when large banks wanted their .mobi domains, and each time I just simply lost the domain. They never sought any other damages. There is a process they go through with ICANN to file a complaint. If I had a business with the same name of any of the .mobi's I had, I would have been able to keep the names. I really don't think you will have a problem with it whatsoever. If you're worried about it, you could always maybe add a disclaimer on your site that states your're not affiliated with Microsoft or not an official partner. The domain also doesn't exactly match a their trademark. Microsoft would never sue for damages, they would sue for an injunction to stop you from using it, which is about a mill - 1.

Last edited:

gilescoley

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't believe that's true. If you have a legitimate related business to use for it, you can most likely use the name no problem. Your very worst case scenario is that microsoft files a complaint with ICANN, and you simply lose the domain, and that's about it. And that's if they were to prevail. I know this because I was sued 4 or 5 times back in the .mobi days for cyber squatting when large banks wanted their .mobi domains, and each time I just simply lost the domain. They never sought any other damages. There is a process they go through with ICANN to file a complaint. If I had a business with the same name of any of the .mobi's I had, I would have been able to keep the names. I really don't think you will have a problem with it whatsoever. If you're worried about it, you could always maybe add a disclaimer on your site that states your're not affiliated with Microsoft or not an official partner. The domain also doesn't exactly match a their trademark. Microsoft would never sue for damages, they would sue for an injunction to stop you from using it, which is about a mill - 1.

That is incorrect, don't give people bad legal advice, check the legal sections and you will see how trademarks work

For someone who has been sued 4/5 times for trademark infringement, I don't think you should be giving legal advice on the subject

ulterios

Don't look back, it's confusing!
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Like the others have stated above, drop it.

You have stated that you want to be selling Microsoft products on this domain and if you are benefiting from their Trademark, that can cost you dearly as far as financially and with the legal problems and stress.

If you have an official License from Microsoft and their permission, then that would be ok BUT you won't get that, or at least not easily.

This name can get you slapped with a lawsuit, even if you aren't selling Microsoft products and you are either selling something else or making money from parking.

Drop it like 3rd period French!!!

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Drop it like a hot potato, dude. This isn't even a close call. In fact, it is a name MS may just have used for the OS that was to follow Windows 10 (they say it's the last named OS, one wonders) Or the name for one of its infamous patches or updates (those get their own names sometimes) Delete it right from your control panel or like she said the fine to you can be $100,000, not to mention you're up against Mr Softie. Companies like that have people employed full time just to look for possible TM infringements

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

Free QR Code Generator by MerchArts
UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom