Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Appraising appraisals

Status
Not open for further replies.

NameMost

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Being fairly new to domaining I'm constantly surprised and confused about why some domains sell for exorbitant sums of money on sites like Sedo. For example, zahnzusatzversicherung.in recently sold for 4,975 EUR. I can appreciate why "dental supplementary insurance" might be of interest to people in Germany, or how generic terms, like dentalinsurance.com, or auto.de, etc. sell for high prices, but does the .in TLD warrant paying 5K EUR?

I wouldn't delude myself into expecting much more than $100 for zahnversicherung.in (dental insurance).https://www.name.com/management/manage_domain.php?domain_name=zahnversicherung.in But I can't help but wonder what the free price service at Sedo came up with for zahnzusatzversicherung.in. I have some doubts it was in the vicinity of 4,975 EUR. It seems strange to me, or am I missing something?

How much of domain speculating rests on smarts, and how much on luck? I don't expect a definitive answer to that, but would really welcome any insights or observations from personal experience.

Thanks very much.

rmnarmenta

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
There is no formula for determining domain pricing. Only comparable sales, years of watching domain price fluctuations, and ultimately - what an end user will be willing to pay, can determine an overall price.

Keep your eye on after market sales, watch the auctions, watch the appraisals. Just to get a ballpark figure.

Good Luck

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

Being fairly new to domaining I'm constantly surprised and confused about why some domains sell for exorbitant sums of money on sites like Sedo. For example, zahnzusatzversicherung.in recently sold for 4,975 EUR. I can appreciate why "dental supplementary insurance" might be of interest to people in Germany, or how generic terms, like dentalinsurance.com, or auto.de, etc. sell for high prices, but does the .in TLD warrant paying 5K EUR?

I wouldn't delude myself into expecting much more than $100 for zahnversicherung.in (dental insurance).https://www.name.com/management/manage_domain.php?domain_name=zahnversicherung.in But I can't help but wonder what the free price service at Sedo came up with for zahnzusatzversicherung.in. I have some doubts it was in the vicinity of 4,975 EUR. It seems strange to me, or am I missing something?

How much of domain speculating rests on smarts, and how much on luck? I don't expect a definitive answer to that, but would really welcome any insights or observations from personal experience.

Thanks very much.

That sale was zahnzusatzversicherung.info. Would have been very strange to see German language domain sell in ccTLD for India at that amount. Same domain in .org sold for 561 EUR.

Cheers,

NameMost

Level 1
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That sale was zahnzusatzversicherung.info. Would have been very strange to see German language domain sell in ccTLD for India at that amount. Same domain in .org sold for 561 EUR.

Cheers,

Thanks for all the feedback--it's greatly appreciated. There must be a limit to the number of characters displayed on Sedo's page because it's showing up as zahnzusatzversicherung.in. I checked some other insurance-related names using .in both in French and German. It's interesting, other than being used as India's country extension I'm wondering if some people are speculating the extension might one day be of interest to people in the insurance industry. (?)

Thanks again

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback--it's greatly appreciated. There must be a limit to the number of characters displayed on Sedo's page because it's showing up as zahnzusatzversicherung.in. I checked some other insurance-related names using .in both in French and German. It's interesting, other than being used as India's country extension I'm wondering if some people are speculating the extension might one day be of interest to people in the insurance industry. (?)

Thanks again

speculation is what this biz is all about

along with a lot of hopes, wishes and dreams.

that's why you see some domainers regging keyword terms in various cctlds

they are hoping, wishing and dreaming of a big payday....or at least to make some roi.

imo...

BidNo

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for all the feedback--it's greatly appreciated. There must be a limit to the number of characters displayed on Sedo's page because it's showing up as zahnzusatzversicherung.in.

I've seen that too; appears they have a fixed image size and long domains are truncated.

Cheers,

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom