Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Approaching a big company to pitch a domain

Status
Not open for further replies.

Knocks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I own a generic one-word dot com that is the name of at least a a dozen fairly big companies around the world. These companies' names are my domain name + labs, research, ventures, tech, etc, so I think there is definitely a market for this domain. I want to make it into a 6-digit sale, but have never approached buyers before this way, and I don't want to blow it with a big-ticket item like this.

Adam has recommended approaching by phone, but I'm not sure it's the best approach for someone who hasn't done this before. Does anyone have an email template I should use?

I also wonder how to price the domain to make it look genuine to potential buyers. For example, Adam prices lower-priced at $1,187 or something similar. How would you price something if you would be happy to get 300K for it? A round number ending with 5K? An uneven number? Any other considerations?

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Do you think there's any reason why these companies haven't approached you for the name just yet?

If I were you, I'd wait for someone to come your way, and then leverage that interest with the other companies.

If you insist on making the approach, I'd do it via email first, to the CEO, the IT department, and even the marketing department.

If you PM me the name, I'd be pleased to give you some ideas for selling it to the end users.

Knocks

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I've only had it for 3 weeks. Before that it was owned by an obscure web design company for 16 years and was probably not for sale. I picked it up for a sizable chunk of cash last month because I knew there was money in it, so I pulled the trigger. But I'll admit I feel a little jittery now that I actually own it. :)

Jilo

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Keep hold of it for a while. You probably have at least a years registration left on it, right? So why contact someone after only three weeks? You may be jeopardising a big pay day later on.

Lack of patience can cost money.

Shane

Account Terminated
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Keep hold of it for a while. You probably have at least a years registration left on it, right? So why contact someone after only three weeks? You may be jeopardising a big pay day later on.

Lack of patience can cost money.

I agree. I just purchased a .net that I know is worth an easy 5-6 figures. The .com owner has repeatedly turned down offers in the 250k range. Rather than approach the current .com owner I'm waiting for a deal to be made between the owner and end user. Patience is a virtue...because it sucks. Good luck!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom