Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Approaching corporation for a sale?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diabro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had a .com domain for over a decade. Recently a major corporation has started a project with that name (final name not code name). I have no information on if this corporation has purchased domains in the past, though I know they have purchased companies with domain names. Do I approach them? If yes, who would I approach? I have the project managers email, as it is open, and information on the project. Also, this name may have interest to developers outside of the company, but I would certainly rather sell to the company. Any advice would be appreciated.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi

short answer, no

why?

if they approach you, it would put you in better position for negotiating

but if you decide to solicit them. before you do:

get more on info on how much they paid for those other acquisitions and what they've done with the domains, who manages them, etc, etc.

imo...

Good Luck!

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with biggie on this one. Holding steadfast (and quiet) about the name essentially puts you in the advantage should they come knocking on the door. If it is a big corporation or this is a viable product/service with good branding and high visibility, there is a good chance they get unsolicited offers to sell them names. Contacting them may indicated a "quick to make a buck" in there eyes and less likely to negotiate. They, coming to you, indicates a desire and willingness to purchase and negotiate.

I know it is damn tempting to run to them. However, if they perceive you as being a "cybersquatter" and you have a domain the matches their product/service, you may find yourself on the opposite side of a URDP or a cease and desist letter.

If you truly and honestly feel that this is a perfect match for them, the fact that you did not approach them will weigh in your favor should the URDP or C&S happen. I am basing my opinion on you having that perfect match. With that said, concern over a URDP should be at the forefront. Appearing non-greedy and not the initiator of negotiations will be to your benefit. And I honestly feel that this increases the value of the name to the client and places you in a genuine "good faith" position.

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Agreed Biggie and Gerry as I've solicited corporations before, a lot will hang up and some will entertain what you have to say if you get to the right person.

I did have one that hung up on me come back at a later time as I believe I planted the seed that it's a necessity for them to have. Though, when they came back for my original mid XXX offer, I doubled the price and they agreed—I probably could have gotten more, but it was a quick sale and I was content with it.

It all depends on the corporation that you’re targeting. It can get real messy as mentioned above for C&D, but small companies won’t go through the trouble of a C&D/UDRP, rather register a different TLD or ignore you completely.

Diabro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you guys. Good advice. I am in no fear of losing a URDP since it is a dictionary word and I have owned it for a VERY long time. But I agree there is no reason to wave the red flag before the bull. As for what they have done with their past purchases they purchased a company for $7.4 billion. Of course that company was competitive, and producing things and of course had a large intellectual property catalog so I know they would not pay close to that kind of money for just a domain name. Thank you Biggie and Gerry.

grcorp

Enthusiast
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Look at it from a supply and demand perspective.

The two factors here are the domain (supply), and the company's desire for the name (demand).

The "supply" is unchanging. You own the domain. And you will continue to own the name until such time that it is transferred out of your possession; notwithstanding any hacking of your domain registrar's account, or nonpayment of renewal fees.

The "demand" on the other hand, is what stands to change in this circumstance. Right now, the domain would help, since they are still in the middle of the project's development. It is a want, not a need.

As they become further invested in the project, and inherently, further invested into the word that your domain name contains, they are simply creating a greater demand for your domain... not just for them to use it, but also for domain investors with a similar vision to purchase it speculatively.

Just imagine... back in 1995, the word "Skype" meant nothing. If you owned "Skype.com", and heard that a couple of guys in the early 2000's were working on a project and thinking of calling it "Skype"... would you really want to sell it to them in the project's infancy at zero users? Or perhaps wait it out until they've built a bit of a userbase, and in turn, a dependency on the name?

To put it into clearer terms... if you were to approach them in development, they have the power to say "no". Or "here's $100". However, if THEY were to approach YOU, after they've created their own demand, they don't exactly have the power to say "no".

Selling it too early would be like selling your gold when it was $200 an ounce. After the value of currency dropped further, it went up to $500, then $1,000, then even as high as the $1,700's.

The "demand" for your name as it stands right now is pretty flat. But let it build up a little, and watch the profit create itself. You need not do anything but renew the name.

Diabro

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you Maxwell. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom