Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Aquire Trademark

Status
Not open for further replies.

seriouswrong

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I know it will be a small fortune, but where do you go to get a trademark, I mean a end user service that will do it for you.. ANy ideas.

Thanks

jberryhill

Philadelphia Lawyer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
"where do you go to get a trademark"

That depends on where you are. If you are in the United States, for example, you don't have to go anywhere. You accrue trademark rights by using a term as an indicator of source or origin of goods and services, so long as that term is capable of acquiring secondary meaning in the minds of consumers to indicate such source or origin.

If you are interested in obtaining registration of a trademark, there are certainly online services that will file papers for you on the basis of a form that you fill out, or you can do it yourself at the USPTO. In general, I have found that the online services charge excessive fees, and provide very little legal guidance (because they can't).

Before asking where you might go to get an appendectomy, it might be a good idea to consult with a doctor to determine whether that operation is appropriate to your circumstances, or whether you might be better off with an antacid.

doughhead

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
In Canada:

Registered one myself on Canadian Government's web site. Took almost two years from start to finish, but was a lot cheaper than going third party.

seriouswrong

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks guys I'm in the US... I was wondering if there was a 3rd party filer, I guess the answer is yes, but maybe I want to obtain the forms directly from the patent office as suggested above ;)

Thanks!

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If the name (trademark) is potentially valuable, I would suggest you contact a TM lawyer. I am sure there are some in your area.
Years ago, the lawyers usually had an office in Wash, DC. Or, associated firm here. But, today. They can be anywhere. No different than our domain business. And, if the name is not potentially valuable. THen, don't bother going thru the effort. But, you are the only one that can make that decision.

A couple of lawyers on this forum would probably also do it for you.

However, I can not stress it stronger. Unless, you follow the TM business/law everyday. Then, you will leave a loophole in your filing. Or, you will cast a too large a net (category description) that will be immediately fought by other TM holders.

I know you don't want to hear this. But, it will pay in the long run to do it correctly.

I have over 30 yrs of business experience and I have learned it the hard way.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom