Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

are we all cybersquatters?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
or only the ones that goes after big companies?

Domain Days 2024

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
tomato tomahto. It's all the same. So yes, we're cybersquatters.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If you don't develop the names you have and just park them..what would you call yourself?

Labels are nothing important...if you are OK with what you do and it's not illegal..then there is no problem.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I squat for no one... I just sit and wait... :ranger: ... It's net realestate... if an owner of a domain name decides to sit on a name and not monteize or develop it, that is his/her own choice, no different from an absenty land owner.... I'm not a cybersquatter... I just sit and wait.:pop2:

jdk

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I prefer the term investor. Exactly Trentino :)

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

Last edited:

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would consider myself a pioneer/entrepreneur especially of the IDN Market.
There are Japanese registries registering domains themselves too.
When the big Ad/Online marketing agencies in Japan realize that the premium IDN Domains are being bought up they'll most likely want to purchase them anyway.
So I look at it this way. They could get it from someone else or get them from me/or associates I know. I prefer the way the results in me rolling on dubs around Tokyo in 2 years.

March2005

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Below are definitions of the word squatter from a dictionary:

“one that settles on property without right or title or payment of rent”

“one that settles on public land under government regulation with the purpose of acquiring title”

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
With the amount of time many of us put into this, I'd call it anything but squatting. Maybe cyber-hustler is a better term?

OnSpec

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
To begin, I'd preface these comments by saying that we are all (well most of us), over the age of 18 and vaccinated. We are all free to conduct our business as we see fit and to be held accountable for our actions.

On one hand we need to call a spade a spade. Those who reg trademarks and/or well-known brand domains with the express purpose of extorting $$$ from the rightful owners deserve whatever the legal authorities dispense. Unfortunately, when their actions go awry, all domainers tend to be painted negatively with the same brush. Doesn't exactly enamour you to the broader domain community.

On the other hand, many Domainers represent the epitome of entrepreneurship. They deserve to be richly rewarded for their efforts, insights and the risks they take when investing in the future potential of a bunch of letters, numbers and symbols.

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks Everyone!!!

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I'd define myself as an investor.

You are a cybersquatter just if you want to profit from TMs and well known brands, but I see domaining as a legit business, if you do it the right way.

You can do it the wrong way, but then you must be ready to face consequences

Julio

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
aldwin said:
You can do it the wrong way, but then you must be ready to face consequences

I don't even like typo TM's names

ExpireGuy

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
NightLinks said:
or only the ones that goes after big companies?

Strange, but there are a few big companies eg P&G that hold numerous prime virtual real estate holdings that are rarely ever labeled cybersquaters...personally I think it's a term mostly used by the ignorant.
While I myself look down upon anyone that regs to extort money from a bonafide business, I have to say i've seen the tables turned though especially on generic domains that certain corporations feel belong to them simply because they have a high end lawyer in their back pocket...

To some it's the wild west, but I've done business with numerous domainers on this board whose character is unmatched to the positive...compared to those two face stalwarts I deal with face to face on a daily basis....we're a small community, and while competitive at times it's also the most giving in terms of knowledge...it all depends on how you use it to your advantage... that's the key...

Cheers

Greg-J

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I think the term is rather silly by nature. I'm no land developer, but I own a decent number of properties (physical real-estate), and not even the notion of 'squatting' exists in that field of investment.

If you were intelligent enough to think of the name, or buy it at the right price - you should be able to do whatever you want with it. It's yours. You own it.

I think too many people just want to cry about not getting there first.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greg-J said:
I think the term is rather silly by nature. I'm no land developer, but I own a decent number of properties (physical real-estate), and not even the notion of 'squatting' exists in that field of investment.

If you were intelligent enough to think of the name, or buy it at the right price - you should be able to do whatever you want with it. It's yours. You own it.

great statement!

aldwin

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Greg-J said:

That's probably true.
There are too many which just says "you are a squatter" instead of putting some effort in it.

I've tried to convince a couple of friends to do the same back when I started and they laughed.
Now they've come begging me to teach them how do I earn all those money.:fish:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom