Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Are we just big dreamers and that is it

Status
Not open for further replies.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hello Everyone....

It seems to me that is what most of us are, just big dreamers trying to make that big score. There nothing wrong with that I've had a few big ones my self, that turn into wishing I had not got the domains. So far I got mostly not so good ones, and the few I got that I think could be big.

No one says much about them even, pipe dreams are $7 each in the domain world. First you have to have a good pipe dream, and before the millions of other dreamers do at that. Then you have to sell that pipe dream to some one buying them, but many others have cheaper pipe dreams to sell that dreamer.

It seems that smart thinkers in the domain biz, are not talking much to others at all. I've learned to not say anything my self, untill I get the domains safe in one of my own accounts. I spent 3 days finding a arcade name( arcadegamester.net ), and had to settle on the .net one even then. Every good name has been regged jsut about, take the blook domains going on right now.

Same thing already most are gone, well I got one of the blook .com safe in one of my account. I'm now thinking, well even if blooks hit the big time. There will be tons of other ones for people to buy, I seen some of the nutty ones people got already to sell. And even though I got what I feel is a good one, others will get the .net .us .biz and others as well. Mean while some inc is thinking of a good domain to use, and they are most likely not thinking the same one I got.

Anyone want to buy a pipe dream, I have a few to sell at reg fee of my own. I also got a few good ones, I don't think like most people do so that should help me. I did learn a few things, that there is a few things to do before buying that domain name and not saying anything till you got it. A well thought out and researched domain, is much better then 1000's of pipe dreams at reg fee. And people are much more likely to buy into one, if you get it started on it's way before trying to sell it to some one.

Comments are welcome, or you can add your own thoughts to my rambleings here. :) Tim

Domain Days 2024

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
luv da $hit! after around 1,5 yr of browsing the forum/industry and spending lots $$$$ on registering crap domains and acquiring crap from snapnames, this month i finally got 50$ in monthly revenue from 3 of my top names(of 200+) ( hand registered or bought at reg fee!)

cool !

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
i don't set my goals that high...

so i won't get disappointed when they are not acheived.

it really depends on how you want to make it, in the biz.

many are looking for the big score

some sale to the mighty end-user

these happen frequently, but mostly to others

if you can buy a name at $7 > $10 and resell above $15 > $20

then you are on a roll!

there is no shame in my game to make double on a hand regg and move on.

it's a matter on what you're willing to hold out for, and for how long!

a lot of little profits can sustain your investments in the game, while waiting on the big one.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
tas38 said:
... A well thought out and researched domain, is much better then 1000's of pipe dreams at reg fee.
Excellent point which seems obvious ... but that many newbies will not grasp for some time.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
carlton said:
Excellent point which seems obvious ... but that many newbies will not grasp for some time.

yeah, if you got no spare money and no time for playing, better not to start..

snicksnack

DomainersChoice.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
everyone dreams about the big big big deal. But there are many of us out there making a couple of small deals everyday and earn far more than the one doing the one big deal.

Anyway good luck to all of us ;-)

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Man if I would have bought that stock back in the 90's !!

How often have you heard that , or said that?

Being able to correctly valuate a domain is essential , if you run a retail store and you look on the shelves and see that your inventory is worth less than your investment you are going to go belly up , you have to do your very best with your dollars available whether it be $30 or $30,000 , and make smart decisions and not pipe dream decisions. Then there is sustainability , can you sustain and build your portfolio ? if you make the correct decisions right from the beginning then sustainability comes naturally if you do your homework, I beleive you have to have a mix in your portfolio of brandables for sale , traffic parked , and develop the most you can handle to develop , whether it be content ppc sites developed or fully developing, you can't sit around waiting unless you got in early in the game back in the 90's and was able to grab some nice ones, to start now in this business you have to learn every angle of the business and be agressive, use your dollars wisely and have a detailed plan , you will succeed, just my 2 cents.

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
biggedon said:
i don't set my goals that high...

so i won't get disappointed when they are not acheived.
biggie :doh:

the only way to achieve big things is to set your goals high.

dreams are the seedlings of realities. you can achieve whatever the :censored: you want in life.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A quick look at the Appraisal section here would indicate that there are few good names left to be registered but plenty of dreamers :)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If your only business model is buying domains to sell to others, then maybe it's time to re-assess what you're doing. Nothing wrong with that, but why not develop some of your domains into sites and try that too? It can bring in some extra revenue at least to help cover renewal fees, and at best it could be another good revenue stream(s). Best to mix it up and have a few different things on the go with your domains. Anyone starting out now and just regging fresh names hoping to sell later for big $$$, well, it's possible but why not try developing sites and learning how to get traffic to them in the meantime, skills that will pay off in the longer run whether someone buys your names or not...

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I started developing domains now, as you said it's better to mix it up for sure.

chumba

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
use your dollars wisely and have a detailed plan

Ex. Actly.

The wonderful thing about domaining is there are no "this is the right plan and that's the wrong one" when it comes to success. For example, there are those who look at it from a strict reseller perspective and are very successful. There are those who work from a buy and develop point of view and are also very successful. Mixing it up - as some have suggested - minimizes your risk.

Me? While I envy those who have one site that makes $1,000 a day, I'd rather have 1,000 sites making a buck a day. I believe that can be accomplished even if you're starting out right now. Start with some lower-end type-in, add content and proper SEO, regularly 'spin the plates' with new (original!) content, work in some links with a proper site map and a buck a day isn't unrealistic - especially if you're operating in a niche market and you have more than one site in that market.

However, this too takes work and dedication. Anybody who's getting in now - thinking they're going to get rich quick buying and selling domains - is in for a rude awakening. The 'big dogs' have been working this industry for years. Watch what they do and fit it into your overall plan.

This is capitalism at its purest. Only the individual him- or herself can stop a person from becoming successful in this industry.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
While I envy those who have one site that makes $1,000 a day, I'd rather have 1,000 sites making a buck a day.

The one site makine $1,000 per day will cost a lot less to renew :)

I'm trying to understand how the development "movement" and expanded use of search engines will affect domain name values in the future. Anyone feel free to correct me, but I tend to think these things will cause a great equalization in value amongst domain names. I'm talking about the names specifically, not the sites themselves. We've already seen from the past that strange names like google, yahoo, nike, reebok, crate and barrel, barnes and noble, etc. are as brandable a name as any other you can think of. So, in a future of development and search engines, why will customerservice.com be worth $500,000 more than Topnotchcustomerservice.com?
It's something I think about alot. I assume others do as well?

dvestors

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
chumba said:
While I envy those who have one site that makes $1,000 a day, I'd rather have 1,000 sites making a buck a day.
why? thats a lot more work for the same amount of rev.

domain newbie

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
So, in a future of development and search engines, why will customerservice.com be worth $500,000 more than Topnotchcustomerservice.com?
It's something I think about alot. I assume others do as well?

i'm agree, but nothing to worry about..yet(next 10 yrs),

..just a few days ago middle-educated/middle-aged friend of mine asked why I'm making sucha hassle by browsing Google to find a " car navigation system" instead of just typin carnavigation.com !

so there, must be millions like him...
:greensighw:

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
... why will customerservice.com be worth $500,000 more than Topnotchcustomerservice.com?
A good question with a clear and proven answer. It's simplicity, exclusivity, and buyer perception. Concise and clear keywords go for premiums because they are rare and have implicit functionality. TopNotchCustomerService.com is fine, but a mere derivative of a premium root phrase. It exist in a realm with many alternatives (BestCustomerService, GreatCustomerService, A1CustomerService, etc.)

All of these are workable, but obvious knock-offs. These are the AMC Pacers in a Mercedes world. Bamboo huts compared to a Manhattan penthouse. Anyone can buy a hut, few can attain the penthouse. Cubic zirconia vs. true 5 karats.

Duckinla

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Concise and clear keywords go for premiums because they are rare and have implicit functionality.

Business is typically about making money, nothing more and nothing less. As far as I can tell, there is only one reason why a domain name should sell for a premium...because it can make more money for the end user. I'm still not understanding why one has an intrinsic ability to make more money for the end user than the other...in the age of development and search engines.

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
Business is typically about making money, nothing more and nothing less. As far as I can tell, there is only one reason why a domain name should sell for a premium...because it can make more money for the end user. I'm still not understanding why one has an intrinsic ability to make more money for the end user than the other...in the age of development and search engines.

ForSaleByOwner.com rocked the domain world years back when sold for $835k, 4 words? wow! but look at it now , it was a steal , its the management behind a domain in most cases.

carlton

Internet Real Estate
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duckinla said:
... As far as I can tell, there is only one reason why a domain name should sell for a premium...because it can make more money for the end user.
No argument there. "ForSaleByOwner" is a good example. The phrase is understood to be preferable over any similar derivative. The logic behind its desireability (and command of a premium) is obvious. It's not to say you cannot make money with other domains. Which would you prefer to build a business on? A pure, descriptive keyword/phrase with inherent public recognition ... or something relatively unknown that many will perceive as inauthentic and that will require additional promotion to overcome its limitations.

NameAlot.com

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The thing is, not owning a premium type-in for instance just means more work has to be then in terms of marketing and branding. "Topnotchcustomerservice.com" will take lots more work to brand then just customerservice.com.
CARLTON: inauthentic and that will require additional promotion to overcome its limitations.
nicely put. But the future looks good for anyone owning a decent 2-3 word domain. The same way cities go through the gerentification process happens to the domain industry also. if you can't get A then you go to be and down the line.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom