Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Are you noticing a trend on DNF?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, or is anyone noticing DNF to be alot less active these days? Not so much with discussions on the forum, but for business. I am getting a lot less inquiries for everything I try and advertise. Is it just the time of the year or what? Are things being actively done to promote and generate new customers for this forum?

Domain Days 2024

VirtualT

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
seems good since Ive been here :)

warnerms

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I would imagine many have gotten into the domain business in the last year, and finally concluded that there is not a lot of money left to be made, if you were not a first mover. That said, one would expect a decline in activity. The Business 2.0
article seemed to be so much self promotion, and certainly plenty got the idea
that the domain name business was some sort of get rich scheme. They all jumped
on board and soon found out it's not that easy. Now they are all drifting away as would be expected. My 2 cents.

McDot

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
@warnerms

Right, many people have left the domainbiz in the last couple of months. Lots of small "big profit hunters" joined last year and made quite a mess of it, leaving the biz with many unpaid invoices and private finacial riun.

All markets seem to just clean up alone.

Olney

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You know guys I've been thinking this too.
I think there are a lot of general stereotypes about domain investments.
Right now it's really hard to get a good generic dot com for cheap.
Perhaps right now international sales aren't topping the DNJournal charts but there are other good markets to invest in for future investments.
I'm into Japanese IDNs but it's not just about IDNs either.
Spanish domains are hot, you even have choices of extensions. You can get them in ASCII or IDN.
There are many who are satisfied with their investments in dot coms, but truth is many people keep spending & spending on really bad domains.
My point is many here are from different backgrounds & should start to look at different markets. It could be IDNs, it could be global extensions, co.uk, .fr, .cn, jp, .es, even .ca

One of the things to look at if you go look at the international market is:
How many new sites in the location are using the countries extensions versus dot coms, nets, etc.

Everything changes, Media: NewsPapers -->Radio --->TV ----->Internet
Think about it.

droplister

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It's time to be more discerning; to pick a niche, and stick to it.

I agree, Im still relatively new, and I regged many a random domain, and now this year I let almost all of them drop. Ive picked what I like and what works and im trying to build those up. And its working better than ever.

ColdGin

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree...I´m here since May, and now I fill there is less people around. Maybe it´s related to all the scam alerts that we have been watching trough the last months....

Ian

DNF Exclusive
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I can partially agree the slow down is due to people realizing this is not a get rich quick scheme afterall--you need research. You also need to count those domainers who are students (like me) and have gone back to school with exams and all else that come with school work! Mid terms are coming up soon;)!

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Major slow down here on domains with documented traffic being offered, this time last year you could tune in at anytime and grab a domain or 2 , typos with ovt, etc...I think because of 2 things, everyone and their brother is sifting thru overture now and everything is getting regged quickly, and secondly everyone who has some traffic names are holding onto them now because its to hard to replace them , (except kwelx , who continues to sell)

Tia Wood

Web Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think this is a good thing! Whatever cleans up the market, I'm all for. Now we'll have less crap names [being sold by others] and more time to reflect on the ones we already have [to find out which ones will sale]. :)

smurf

Level 7
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i just joined because i love making websites and i have been makin em for 6 or 7 years and in the last year i realized that people actually sold domains and stuff so i figured id join. get money for doing something i love to do. whats better than that?

mambo

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mm maybee yeah, i must admit ive fallen back from the trading of my names, just because i ran out budget wize :D now im relaxing and developing in my spare time :)

i look at this as a hobby, fun stuff

Poker

Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Can't imagine what it would be like starting in this biz today, it was hard back in 01.

David G

Internet Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I do not buy many names here anymore mostly because it's so rare to find a good one and the ones you do find are often trademark issues, or way overpriced, or names that are not in a good category.

A few years ago you could find some nice ones priced well most any day you visited but those days are gone. At this point in time I am thinking about leaving the forums since my time could be better spent making my websites better and developing products and services to sell on the sites.

insomnia

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
As a mostly developed website seller, I'm finding better prospective buyers at other sites, even if it means paying $20 for a listing.

labrocca

Omniscient
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Only sales I get nowadays are end-users on Sedo. All my domainer forum sales attempts seem to fizzle. Either everyone is a seller or the market is falling out some for developed websites. I still do business but it has fallen dramatically since Dec 2005. I had maybe 2 good months all year and that was basically from only 3 sales at Sedo.

I just spend my days developing the names I have accrued the past 2 years (about 500). I do about 3-10 sites per week. Mostly mini-sites and forums.

Beachie

Mr Flippy Returns..
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, people want to buy quality domains with traffic or strong potential. The folks with good domains are hanging on to them because they know how difficult it is to replace them with domains of equal quality, irrespective of their budget. The result is fewer listings of good domains (however you personally define "good") and hence fewer sales. Listing crap domains won't fill that void.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Generally speaking, people want to buy quality domains with traffic or strong potential. The folks with good domains are hanging on to them because they know how difficult it is to replace them with domains of equal quality, irrespective of their budget. The result is fewer listings of good domains (however you personally define "good") and hence fewer sales. Listing crap domains won't fill that void.

Yeah true. It's almost gotten to the point where I don't even bother checking the domains for sale cause I know what I will find. Claims of reseller prices for domains with enduser price tags.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom