Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Are you satisfied with Afternic?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It has been a few years since I have even considered Afternic as a selling venue - three sales never completed.

I understand that there has been some changes with Afternic - and I understand there really is nothing to force someone to pay for domain names.

I would like to hear (read) comments from members regarding more recent Afternic praise, problems, or comments.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This year Afternic has sent me two notices on price requests from interested parties, but no sales resulted yet.

I get a lot of requests from them to confirm domain ownership, but all my domains are open to whois so I don't know why they have trouble verifying this. I'll get like 10 or 15 notices, one for each domain, and it is too cumbersome to follow the instructions to verify each one.

Sedo never does this, plus I find Sedo more user friendly than Afternic.

I stay on Afternic because I've had sales in the past, and they are listing domains in a lot of places for you.

nattydomain

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Funny you wrote this. I gave up on afternic begining of this year as I NEVER got a hint of an offer.....2 hours ago I get a confirmed sale via ther own escrow service and buyer has already paid up front and secured funds. Now just waiting to transfer the name.

This has me pumped to look over my domains there but before today, true, I would not have bothered

BTW sale was for $875

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have has good sales through Afternic, usually the bigger sales happen on Afternic.

There fee of 20% is too high though.

-=DCG=-

BGray

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Afternic is a huge missed opportunity. It is almost impossible to manage a large portfolio in their account and ongoing management is a nightmare. I've had a few sales but the effort required manage my account has basically left me abandoning it.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
There fee of 20% is too high though.-=DCG=-

I would agree with that... But the likely response to that would be; The user benefits from added exposure for that 20%, Not just resellers but end users as well when a whois search is performed, But even when you consider that, 20% can be an outrageous amount on high priced domain sales, $20,000 commission on a $100,000 Domain sale? it's nuts... I can buy a new car for that.

Personally I wouldn't use Afternic, simply because I have no interest in targeting resellers, I don't mind waiting 1, 5 or 10 years to sell to a end user, because I know when I do, the sale will be substantial. Besides, when a end user wants to acquire one of my domain names, they usually do it using the contact form on the parked page, and Escrow.com does the rest. I love Escrow.com, and the people that work there are great too, we even have a friend who works there.

I had 2 private domain sales last month, (both .coms), one for $8000 and another for $5500... If I went through Afternic, I would of had to pay 20% on $13,500, that's $2700, You can say I could of increased my price to cover the 20%, but when you do that, it just makes it that more harder to negotiate and land the sale.... Just my 2 cents.

Last edited:

mediawizard

MediaWizard
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Afternic = waste of time, 100s of 'price requests', no sales.

The only sale I did have through them their 'account executive' gave me terrible advice and cost me high $xx,xxx in sales revenue.

I wouldn't sell through them w/o a $xx,xxx offer now, if ever.

gaetanomarano

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom