Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Domain summit 2024

Article review - Domain Liquidity

Status
Not open for further replies.

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I wrote the article below. I know the article will be contentious but it is how I see our industry. I placed it in the exclusive area so it will not count as duplicate content should it be published on the internet. I am looking for feedback and recommendations on where to post/publish. Cheers, Bob

Why the Domain Industry Desperately Needs Liquidity

You can learn a lot about an industry from the liquidity of its underlying product. In many instances, if the product is highly sought after, an organized trading body is required to facilitate the smooth transfer of assets. This is common in industries such as oil, orange juice, stocks, and even pork bellies.

While the price of these highly sought after commodities fluctuates with demand, that daily variance is often less than 2%, outside significant industry news. More importantly though, there is always a standing order to buy or sell, and the difference between the bid price and the ask price is very small - perhaps only 1-2%.

How does this apply to domainers? On Wall Street, liquidity leads to price stabilization. The domain name industry could learn from this principle.

Quantifying Liquidity
Let's face it - the domain industry suffers from a lack of liquidity. If you purchase a quality domain name today, it often takes a long time to turn around. It's difficult to garner offers, especially ones that meet the high expectations of the seller.

How does this compare to other commodities? Not well. In the stock market, for instance, a liquid stock trades at about .5% to 2% of its total float (the amount of available stock) in a day. Comparatively, a poll that is used to sample the direction of an election needs less than 1% of a population to be within 5% of actual results.

There are roughly 75 million dot coms registered. If we label just 20% of these 75 million registrations the float, or those names available for purchase on the secondary market, we can derive a reasonable turnover, which would indicate that the domain market is operating efficiently. Using this figure, if just .5% sold per day, 750,000 premium domain names would change hands every 24 hours. Comparatively, GE or other liquid stock turnover is just over .5% of the float.

So how is the domain industry performing?
Based on posted sales in popular forums, we can see that the actual percentage of domain name turnovers is much less. One of the best sources of documented sales, DNJournal, rarely logs over 100 dot com sales per week. This is not unusual, given that many domain name sales are less than $2,000, and are not listed.

When we look more closely at lower priced transactions, it becomes apparent that they actually represent the majority of premium domain name sales. Never the less, the secondary market is still falling well short of the required 750,000 domains per day necessary to mark an active, healthy, and efficient market.

Perhaps the majority of domain names available really are of lower value, and should indeed be listed for much less than $2,000 - but then why do we see prices significantly higher in the online domain shops, where anything under $2,000 looks like a bargain? And of course, there's the ubiquitous request to "make an offer" that still haunts our industry. If domain professionals don't have a methodology for determining the value of their domain name, how do we expect the general public to do it?

If we dig a bit deeper into the secondary market, we will see that liquidity does occur with regularity in the "short" domain name markets of CCC.com, LLL.com, and LLLL.com.

Transactions here can and do happen quickly, based on a more easily understood and quantifiable commodity among quasi-professional traders. Price any LLLL.com at $30-$40 and you could easily complete a deal within minutes on an active domain name forum. This kind of healthy liquidity is based on many factors, the most important of which are:

• an existing customer base (domain traders),
  • a price range known among the community as a fair price,
  • and limited and understandable product variation.
These attributes combine to create a fair pricing range that is made public by sales transactions being recorded in blogs and forums.

This fundamental understanding between traders, and the recording of the value of short dot com domain names, provide comfort to the buyer and seller by allowing them to keep tabs on the trading status. This knowledge also allows buyers and sellers to be able to identify those who price domains outside the norm, and quickly dismiss such fringe offers as outliers and not real sell prices. In this setting, domains listed more for ego than a legitimate desire to sell can't affect the perception of the market.

Today's environment poses a challenge to serious and professional domain traders, who find themselves constantly struggling to educate the general public on what a "premium" domain name is, let alone why its price is far and above something they could register a variation of for $7. On the opposite end of the spectrum are those egocentric domainers who seemingly base their relative importance to the world on how outlandishly they can price their domain names. The latter, and their unfortunate ability to easily post their naïve perspectives and unreasonable price expectations online, detract from the ability of dedicated domain professionals to establish fair and reasonable pricing.

One problem the domain industry faces is the lack of a standardized means of documenting the large bulk of premium domain sale prices, or an authoritative guide on fair domain pricing. The lack of these resources is, in my opinion, keeping many potential buyers on the sideline. While I may enjoy the dollar slots in Vegas, it's a bit too rich for my blood to buy a domain name for $500 or more, and hope that it is worth more than the following year's renewal fee (not to mention the fact that trying to sell it in the future will cost a hefty 10-20% commission to have fair shot at finding a buyer).
I suspect that the general public shares this perspective on domain names as an investment.
It should be clear that changes are needed in the domain industry for us to be seen as legitimate brokers of a valuable commodity. First and foremost, our goal should be to promote liquidity, which is the byproduct of an efficient market. An efficient market perpetuates the buying and selling of a product, has traders who actively buy and sell, and has access to plentiful and accurate information on past transactions.

A domain value book or similar domain, name your color (Blue, Red, Green, etc.) book is a key step toward becoming a solid and respected industry. Just as Kelly Blue Book can tell you the value of a used car for free, the domain industry should be able to present a similar and trusted function. A paid appraisal may be in order for high value names, but having to spend $30 to find names valued at $100 is a black eye on our industry. Additionally, a general public that understands the difference between a premium domain and an available domain name requires an education campaign to upgrade our image from cyber squatters to domain brokers.

Unless the domain industry organizes around fair pricing for premium domains, establishes a transparent sales recording mechanism, gains traders in the hundreds - if not thousands - who actively buy and sell domains, and educates the general public about our industry, domainers will continue to suffer in the doldrums of a stagnant market.

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I like the article style and I think the goals are worthy, however, unless I misunderstand, I disagree with at least one of your premises.

Domain names going back and forth in a market as you compare to securities I do not see as a valid comparison.

Unless you are talking about establishing securities for domain names themselves and trading them, but I think you would end up being caught up by several of the securities laws already on the books.

The other side of the coin is because of the international nature of the Internet, how can you regulate non-US based domains? Quite a few hurdles to overcome here I think.

The last part of your argument, comparing domains to cars would have its challenges in a world where no two are the same, but at least the names under that sort of system are not being sold as securities.

-Commerce

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the comments... It is indeed hard to find something that makes a great analogy for the domain business. Art and the diamond industry is probably close but in the end my hope is to raise issues that need to be resolved. It appears from your comments that we agree on the need for getting key issues resolved but how we can best accomplish such a difficult task is still up for debate.

I'm creating a pricing model based on how diamonds are graded to help people in better understand the value of a domain name.

Theo

Account Terminated
Reaction score
You seem to assume that: a) all sales are reported to DNJournal or other cumulative publications b) $30-$40 sales are "healthy" whereas they are a pittance c) all individuals or companies engaging in the domain investment business frequent forums, blogs etc.

There is no such thing as "fair pricing"; it's all about supply and demand, trends and short/long term investments. The domain industry is not a used car dealership, it's a stock market.

Commerce

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have to agree with Acroplex re his statement on stock market, however, unlike a stock market, a given name does not pass back and forth as actual securities for a company do on a daily basis (for obvious reasons). I also agree with his comments on regarding some of the assumptions made.

I do agree with your point regarding establishing some grading scale as a starting point, however, no scale will ever be entirely accepted or correct. Thus at base, it can only become a starting point.

A great deal of the value in a given name is in the eye of the beholder and comes from the buyer's own ability to bring a name to life and profitability. When I say profitability, I don't mean a few dollars in click revenue from parking, but from creating value through a full blown enterprise.

Some of you know I am working very hard to rescue such a venture. As a domain name in a normal market for domainers, there is no argument the name is a six figure name, but as part of a going company, the name is possibly worth up to or in the billion range. I say that because a like name with a far more limited business model sold for slightly under half a billion around 4 years ago as a going company.

The trouble with domaining is that it never really reaches its potential value because all that is being sold is the land for a parking lot. There is no vision in that premise and as a result the returns are very small, even at 6 figures as you can understand.

As I write this, I know there may be at least one or two domainers who are reading this and have the capacity to buy a six figure name. Ironically, their mindset is so into the model of selling up to "the greater fool", they lose perspective on the big picture.

I've been close to a process where a huge company was being acquired by a venture firm. The spanking the VC firm took for just failing to acquire by not consummating the original transaction was 100 million dollars. Boys and girls, the value is in creating successful companies, not just the domain itself.

In a down market for domains, I'm hoping that someone here might pause from the day to day madness of domaining and see that reality.

I would be interested in learning if there are 10 people here ready to put down $100K on a domain name. If I can find those people, I think I can make a serious and compelling argument for why they should look beyond just a name to see where a real company based on a domain could go.

-Commerce

DNPlan

DNF Newbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that you will find that trying to use a stock market analogy may not be the most appropriate comparison.

There is a legitimate reason why domains are often referred to in the context of virtual real estate. Because they have far more similarity to the buying and selling of a "lot" than any other comparison.

Stocks are fractional units of ownership. We typically do not sell fractional units of ownership when a domain name is bought or sold. Thus the comparison is weak.

If you want to write an article advocating efficiency in markets, I would encourage you to take the time to study the history of the real estate market, land rushes, real estate brokers, real estate agents, real estate development, and modern cyclical trends.

Real estate is considered an illiquid investment. In other words, it can not easily be liquidated. Virtual real estate, aka domains are substantively similar.

The financial market has created investment vehicles to allow a more liquid investment in real estate through fractional ownership. REIT's are just one such example. And you will find that there are domain name equivalents where pooled investments are made.

This may sound "old school" ... but if you study the history of the real estate market, you will find that we have centuries of property rights law and experience in buying and selling physical real estate. I believe that over time, you will see the virtual real estate of domains develop in substantively the same manner. The new school of domains is looking to the old school of property rights.

Greg

rjlever

Boa Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the great responses and insight... I'll adjust the article accordingly.

Last edited:

stevo

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think that you will find that trying to use a stock market analogy may not be the most appropriate comparison.

There is a legitimate reason why domains are often referred to in the context of virtual real estate. Because they have far more similarity to the buying and selling of a "lot" than any other comparison.

Stocks are fractional units of ownership. We typically do not sell fractional units of ownership when a domain name is bought or sold. Thus the comparison is weak.

If you want to write an article advocating efficiency in markets, I would encourage you to take the time to study the history of the real estate market, land rushes, real estate brokers, real estate agents, real estate development, and modern cyclical trends.

Real estate is considered an illiquid investment. In other words, it can not easily be liquidated. Virtual real estate, aka domains are substantively similar.

The financial market has created investment vehicles to allow a more liquid investment in real estate through fractional ownership. REIT's are just one such example. And you will find that there are domain name equivalents where pooled investments are made.

This may sound "old school" ... but if you study the history of the real estate market, you will find that we have centuries of property rights law and experience in buying and selling physical real estate. I believe that over time, you will see the virtual real estate of domains develop in substantively the same manner. The new school of domains is looking to the old school of property rights.

Greg

What He said ^

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

AucDom
UKBackorder
Be a Squirrel
MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com
URL Shortener

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators