Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Artist let name drop

Status
Not open for further replies.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A very popular artist has let their domain drop. It was caught by a drop catcher and I'm planning to bid. The price is up there. I looked it up on Alext and it says owned by Virgin Records (obviously before it dropped). The site is a firstname.com, but a rare first name at that. If I acquired it would they have recourse to get it from me through WiPo

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whats the name?

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Got your PM,

Basically, it's a plural of xxxx.com (like " xxxx's ") and as long as you do not directly reference the artist (you may be able to legally do so with a fan site, but you need to research this more since I am not a lawyer) I really think you have nothing to worry about. The fact that they dropped the name does little for their "case" if they ever presented one, and in fact would only show neglect or lack of need on their end as they surrendered the rights to the domain name when they let it expire and then go through full deletion and back to the public registry. Since they owned it to begin with, imo they had their chance and lost it. This is all relevant information in your defense IF you win the domain name. So, I say go for it dude...this is of course without knowing anything like traffic/stats/pricing...I have'nt even researched it but I can imagine it must be worthwhile if you are bidding and the price is up there...and the eventual result here imo would be them trying to buy it from you if they really wanted it back...thats a big IF. Good luck dude! lemme know if you get it..

Regards,

Chris

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didn't even see the plural aspect!!

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Didn't even see the plural aspect!!

DNQuest.com

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Usage does play an important part in determining bad faith. Stay away from the artist and any links to him or his competitor's or in his catagory. Proactively protect yourself.

Focus - If the OP doesn't give the domain and you really need to know what it is, ask them to PM you.There are usually reasons why posters don't mention it in the first place, TM issues. So please keep that in mind.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well all, the name was kelis.com other sites are kelisonline.com and kelis.co.uk that are still up. It's at around 10k which is more than I can go. A few minutes left. Pisser cos it's a really nice one!

BELLC1

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
So who is Kelis???

Focus

Making Everything Click
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Usage does play an important part in determining bad faith. Stay away from the artist and any links to him or his competitor's or in his catagory. Proactively protect yourself.

Focus - If the OP doesn't give the domain and you really need to know what it is, ask them to PM you.There are usually reasons why posters don't mention it in the first place, TM issues. So please keep that in mind.

That's why I got a PM and posted the domain as xxxx.com, in case you missed it ;) People usually tell me these things since I can be trusted with such info...because I am the dude with the "let everyone make money & succeed" outlook on things! :eek:k:

So, how high did it go dude? You get way outbid?

domaingeneration

Exclusive Lifetime Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's likely that someone responsible for renewing the domain name didn't get to renew it on time and the registrar auctioned it. Even when you're just a couple of weeks late in renewal, the registrar may do so. Got a domain name moved away from my Dotster.com account into another customer's, after 2 weeks of expiry. Expired domains are really more valuable in many cases nowadays!

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Went for 10K, I chased till $4000 or so.

tas38

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If they are well known by that name, it would not matter at all that they left it drop. The only things that matters, is did you buy it in bad faith. And do you have any right to the name, in other wards can you use it in good faith.

For all you know, they could of got it from some one else. And if you think about it, that record label would think nothing about taking it from the new owner. The only reason I see it could be used for, is for a none profit fan site as the fact, it went for 10k pretty much shows it's about the singers name.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom