Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

As of 12:30 AM ET the internet has been falling down!

Status
Not open for further replies.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
For those wondering why they're having trouble connecting to many sites here's why... There is a massive worm that has infected all Microsoft SQL servers that are doing a giant DoS attack on udp port 1314.

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thats funny (well not that), I just posted this in the Misc Forum.

RMF

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just saw your post in Misc. and posted that I posted the same thing...funny.

DomainGoon

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I can't get to the other site, can you post what was said?

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Well... the thread on WHT is 10 pages long now. Many people all over the world reporting sites down and many hosts reporting their servers unreachable. Nobody knows for sure yet what the problem is, but there was some talk about it being a worm which may have infected a huge amount of Microsoft SQL servers and were triggered to begin a DoS attack against a certain port.

greggish

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Heres a snapshot of the internet backbone latency. UUNET and Internap are pretty much screwed and the middle looks to be getting worse too.

http://www.internetpulse.net

avs162

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sorry saw you posted the same info

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Perhaps one of our Asian friends got really pissed off about
the RGP issue and decided to spread a massive worm.

Seems like they've picked the right day...

Luc L.

Tippy

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Things seem to be better now, my sites are awakening :)

Mike

M

mole

BBC Saturday, 25 January, 2003, 12:14 GMT
Virus-like attack hits web traffic

The attack targeted Mircrosoft database software

Traffic has slowed dramatically on many parts of the internet - apparently the result of a fast-spreading, virus-like infection, computer experts say.
The electronic attack is reported to have interfered with web browsing and e-mail delivery.

Experts said the attack on Saturday was similar to the impact of the "Code Red" virus, which brought internet traffic to a standstill in the summer of 2001.

"It's not debilitating," said Howard Schmidt, one of President George W Bush's top cyber-security advisers, quoted by the Associated Press news agency.

"Everybody seems to be getting it under control."

South Korea hit

He said the FBI's National Infrastructure Protection Center and private experts at the CERT Co-ordination Center were monitoring the attacks.

It is highly likely hackers have launched an all-out attack on the country's internet system

In South Korea internet services were shut down nationwide for hours on Saturday, the country's Yonhap news agency reported.

It said the shutdown was triggered by "apparent cyber terror committed by hackers".

It was not immediately clear if the South Korean attack was the same as that reported in the United States.

It is the first time South Korea's wired and mobile internet services have been hit collectively in such a way, according to Yonhap.

But the impact on most financial institutions, corporations and government offices was minimal as they were closed for the weekend, it said.

According to software experts quoted by AP, the attack targeted vulnerable computers, infecting database software from Microsoft Corp., called "SQL Server".

The attacking software code overwhelmed many internet data pipelines as it searched for victim computers randomly and aggressively.

devolution

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Tried to register some names this morning, but my usual registrars are not having any of it... :(

Interesting vote on CNN:
http://www.cnn.com/POLL/results/335591.content.html
75% of people believe that the Net is too vulnerable - well we've only got M$ to blame...

DomainPairs

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
I missed sqlworm.com but managed to get the net. I also posted this on the apraisal board, but, as seems to happen with most interesting names, it is being ignored. All other extensions were available, but I only wanted one to set up an info site, and everyone knows that .info is not yet ready for info sites :D

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom