Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

At what point do you say what the heck...

Status
Not open for further replies.

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Do you have a # / or threshold that you use in deciding what to reg?

For example, would you normally reg a two word phrase with 500 / 1000 / 2000 searches in Overture (w/out extension?)

I'm curious, because I try to stick at a certain point but often can't resist...

(and I'm trying to decide if I try to snap a few 3 word generics tomorrow with Overture #'s of 3,000 + w/out extension....)

Domain Days 2024

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Overture is a very small part of my decision making.
I have names with 30 ovt w/extension which get almost no uniques per day and I have names which get 100-500 uniques/day w/0 ovt w/extension.

I think google is a better gauge. Split the word and type it in with quotes and see how many results you get.

Dont make your decision based solely on ovt.
GL

DNjet

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
gmac17 said:
Do you have a # / or threshold that you use in deciding what to reg?

For example, would you normally reg a two word phrase with 500 / 1000 / 2000 searches in Overture (w/out extension?)

I'm curious, because I try to stick at a certain point but often can't resist...

(and I'm trying to decide if I try to snap a few 3 word generics tomorrow with Overture #'s of 3,000 + w/out extension....)

I would definately grab the .com's if they are there, but would not register these in any other extension. If they are typing in these phrases then they are generic brandables at the least, and you can't go wrong.

Expirepro

Expired DN Master
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
ovt w/ext play no factor in my purchases,,Ovt w/ext served it purpose well in years past before DN parkers had nice DN monetization.Same with DN indexing for a website,Very easy to seo and monetize a name today as it wasn't a couple of years ago.I rely on google search results for the main niche keyword more than anything and then monetize my names,Not a complicated task today.But very nice ovt w/ext DNs get my attention IF they can hold traffic and thier ovt w/ext.That usually takes me 2 to3 months to evaluate the name before i will purchase it.

Togoodhlth

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have many ovt w/extension whcih get little to no traffic.
The ovt tool used to be a lot more effective but now with it being the main tool of domainers many names have false positive results.
Also the extension doesnt matter w/the ovt tool. If a .org comes up with 100 w/extension I am grabbing it as fast as I can. If it has 25 I would be more skeptical.
And a domain with 0 results w/extension has no bearing on whether or not I am going to register it. If it did I would have missed out on $xx,xxx worth of sales and more in revenue.

As far as google goes it depends on the name. For instance if it is a good name in a niche industry then the number of results it would need would be lower than say an industry which is high profile.

For instance if I was looking at the domain "castironchiminea /dot/ com" I would do a search at google expecting to have low results:
(Results 1 - 10 of about 6,460 for "cast iron chimineas")
The 6460 in this case shows me that it is an awesome name as that many results is high for this niche industry.

So it's hard to say what I would or wouldnt register. It depends on the domain.

A lot of domaining is experience. You get better as time goes on. I still register some total crap as that is the nature of the industry but I also register a lot more great names than I did when I first started.

GL
John

gmac17

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
great posts, thanks guys.

M

mole

Togoodhlth said:
I have many ovt w/extension whcih get little to no traffic.

:cheeky: 99% of my names get no traffic, period. The name I paid $8k for at snaps got 1 unique in the past 2 months LOL

Shaggy

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mole said:
:cheeky: 99% of my names get no traffic, period. The name I paid $8k for at snaps got 1 unique in the past 2 months LOL

Mole, you actually chased a name?? :cheeky:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom