Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Auction offers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I Have been in the domain biz since 1998...took a break between 2003 and 2005 and now am back full force. I have a couple questions about auction offers...

I get about 2-3 offers aweek on my domain names...most of them are stupid lowball offers on sedo. My question is two fold...one how do you all handle a stupid offer (ie: a $70 offer for a one or two word generic domain with decent traffic 1200-1500 type ins a month)...and two ... why do people put in a low ball offer and then when confronted with a counter offer...they leave the offer up with out cancelling or deleting ie:saying they are not interested in the counter offer?

If you all can, please shed some light on why someone would want to waste their and my time with this...if they are truly not interested, first: why put in an offer in the first place? and second, when they understand the seller is not a moron, why not respond by deleting the offer...does it make people feel good about themself to leave the offer up for 7 days...does it in some way make them feel in charge?

Please chime in and shed some light on this if you can...or just let me know that I am not the only one who constantly has to deal with this non-sense.

Thanks.

Domain Days 2024

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Simply put, if you make 1,000 low-ball offers for good names you will likely get lucky at least once. The name of the game is to get the best names for the least amount of money. I sometimes get a little worked up when someone makes a ridiculously low offer, but it really doesn't pay to do so.

It doesn't take a lot of effort to weed out low-ballers, and those who get offended easily are only hurting themselves when they get defensive about their names.

It is pretty much a fact that 99 percent of names are useless garbage anyways (see appraisal section).

How do you think a good looking lady feels when she gets asked out by a slob who is 7 levels beneath her? Some get offended and others politely say "no thank you".

I saw a name change hands on this board the other night that was worth at least 10K....it went for under $100.

The very best names cannot be had for low-baller amounts, but there are quite a few good ones that can be had on the cheap.

The biggest cancers in the business are the Zune-name crowd (or Wii, or whatever), and the unpronounceable names in 3rd string extentions. Anyone low-balling on a great name at least has their eyes on something worthwhile.

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes. I agree with you on that point...

I guess the question I still have is why do the lowballers leave a counter offer up for the full 7 days or 3 days with out even deleting the offer and letting the other side know they are not interested. Is it better not to respond to the low ball offer? Please give me some insight if you can thanks.

WhoDatDog

Level 8
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Onward said:

I guess the question I still have is why do the lowballers leave a counter offer up for the full 7 days or 3 days with out even deleting the offer and letting the other side know they are not interested. Is it better not to respond to the low ball offer? Please give me some insight if you can thanks.

Because time is money. They probably spend all day sending out low-ball offers and they really don't care about the seller...they only cared about themselves (like they should). It would be different if the transaction was more personal, but you don't even know who it is so why should they care.

Some people don't even respond to offers....it's the same theory. Also, occasionally a low-ball offer will be accepted at a later date, or countered with a low amount.

jasdon11

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Onward said:

Unfortunately you've got to put it down to human nature. Some people are conscientious and courteous in their affairs - others aren't, same in any business.

People will argue that there is no loyalty or repeat business with domains - totally untrue. I have many customers who have bought repeatedly from me.
I'm sure they wouldn't if I hadn't treated them with respect.

Jas

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom