Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

For Sale auth codes

Status
Not open for further replies.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You tried to log-in using the CIRA user ID & password?
(This is different from your Sibername userid and pwd)

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You tried to log-in using the CIRA user ID & password?
(This is different from your Sibername userid and pwd)

Yes..cira. I tried all 3 of our company u/p and none worked. Did you try to login?

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not working for me either. I can't even manage .ca domains at Sibername due to Maintenance.

liberator

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is the link for the registrars who manually want to administer their clients domains, I have no idea why Sibername would give you that link. At least this is my understanding from communications with CIRA

6sons

Level 4
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It must be growing pains. Apparently their site will be ready to serve up auth codes by 11am today.

whitebark

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
It must be growing pains. Apparently their site will be ready to serve up auth codes by 11am today.

Let's hope so because I have a big deal being held up at the moment waiting for registrars to get their act together.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I contacted an end user and Godaddy to get them to process the RANT transfer and to remove my info from a name I sold in August (and pushed from my account at Namespro to the buyer's account at GoDaddy)

And all GoDaddy did was send me the auth code :rolleyes:

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I contacted an end user and Godaddy to get them to process the RANT transfer and to remove my info from a name I sold in August (and pushed from my account at Namespro to the buyer's account at GoDaddy)

And all GoDaddy did was send me the auth code :rolleyes:

Congratulations, you own the domain. As Webnames.ca told us yesterday, if we allowed a registrar transfer over to them, whoever has the code can then take then domain registration, regardless of the actual registrant according to the WHOIS at CIRA.

Spex

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
So since it's in his Godaddy account, under his control (he's already got a site up and running on a new DNS), and I have the auth codes I can technically transfer it back to my Namespro account?

Wow, that's sick. Hope these blackholes get fixed ASAP

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Congratulations, you own the domain. As Webnames.ca told us yesterday, if we allowed a registrar transfer over to them, whoever has the code can then take then domain registration, regardless of the actual registrant according to the WHOIS at CIRA.

WOW !

(How did the buyer get access to the account?)

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The auth code does indeed allow you full control over the domain. It's assumed only the registrant will have access to it.

CIRA recommends that after a registrar transfer, the new registrar changes the auth code immediately (to avoid the situation Spex described above, where the previous registrant can just transfer it back).

CanSpace

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I don't necessarily think so. It's like saying someone who has your email account password has access to your email account - it pretty much goes without saying.

As a process, registrars should automatically update auth codes after a transfer.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
WOW !

(How did the buyer get access to the account?)

This is the key part of what Webnames.ca did: since the 'buyer'-to-be paid for the registrar transfer, Webnames.ca decided to give them the account login and password and to withhold it from us. In legal terms, Webnames.ca itself actively participated in conversion.

fwdtech

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This just gets better and better.

We've be waiting to do a regisRANT transfer since Wednesday, and have given up on Sibername. (although they did manually send us the auth. code today).

So we decide to transfer to namespro.

Namespro says to:

1. Obtain auth. code from present registrar.
2. Ask registrar to unlock domain.

Then, email auth. code to namespro.

So, it's all done manually, hoping that the registrar unlocks the domain when we ask - AND THEN, we just give the auth. code out.

Does anyone think is a great system?

Perhaps the CIRA shills can come back online and defend this absolute joke.

msn

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is insane! We just saw Webnames.ca aid and abet a hijacking of our domain by using an Auth Code we never even got, and a registrar wants you to hand it over for a look-around?

Someone at CIRA needs to hit rewind here and quickly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom