Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Backcountry.com sold for $75,000

Status
Not open for further replies.

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
You may be interested in this aspect.

Even though several businesses use Back Country in registered trademark (and there are unknown numbers without trademark) - they said:

"But the truth is, we always considered ourselves to be Backcountry.com ... we just didn't own it."

What about this:

"As their company grew and became more solvent, the seller continuously raised his price, keeping the powerful domain name frustratingly out of reach."

Do they write like this - to make it look like seller was doing something wrong by updating price according to the law of supply and demand with only one .com?

http://www.prnewswire.com/cgi-bin/stories.pl?ACCT=104&STORY=/www/story/05-14-2004/0002174506&EDATE=

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Garry - we have worked with the seller of BackCountry.com many times in the past. They are "stand-up" folks with a great collection of domains that they have had since 1994-1997. Seems like a good deal for both parties. Steve

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nice ................................................... d:)

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Garry,

You have to remember that the article is really no more than a press release sent out by BackCountry Store and is really just PR and not "news".

If it was an actual news article than you would think there would be as much information about the seller as there was provided about the buyer.

It sounds to me like they are sending out a press release to justify the high price paid for the domain name, plus generate some buzz about the fact that they now own BackCountry.com.

You have to give credit to the seller for making the most of their investment and knowing the purchase power of the buyer.

I wonder if BCS tried to sue for the domain name back before they decided to fork over the dough?

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
"Garry - we have worked with the seller of BackCountry.com many times in the past. They are "stand-up" folks with a great collection of domains that they have had since 1994-1997. Seems like a good deal for both parties."

Hi Steve - I did not mean to imply that either party had acted with anything but good faith and manners.

I would have certainly said so, if I believed such had happened - as you may know.

The seller of BackCountry.com had legal right to the domain - being the first to register an oft used phrase.

http://www.google.co.uk/search?q="Back+Country"&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&btnG=Google+Search&meta=

Back Country Store did not go to UDRP, as many businesses do, to steal the domain from legal owner (aided and abetted by UN WIPO).

But they clearly are a 'bit miffed' as the "seller continuously raised his price" - else why mention it?

It was a good deal for both parties - as they both achieved the "right" price - as stated by basic proposition for law of supply and demand.

My point - everybody thinks the TRUTH is they are always <insert words>.com - despite the FACT that others can or do use these words also.

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi Momentum - I did realise article was PR - however the sale itself was "news".

I was just making comment on a specific aspect - as stated above.

They (like all) BELIEVE they are <insert words>.com - despite the FACT that others can or do use these words also.

I never heard if BCS tried to sue for the domain name first - has anybody else?

Incidentally - you make a common mistake - you fall for the false propaganda of corrupt crooks.

You said "sue for the domain name back" - how can BCS sue for domain name "back" - it was never theirs in the first place.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the response Garry - No Problem on our end - just wanted to clarify that these folks who marketed this domain name are OK to do business with. I think the deal was a win/win for both parties. The release was written by the buyers PR people, I am sure. Companies attempt to ignore the "first to use rights" on domains and trademarks. We had two issues this month, that we recieved trademark calls on for domains that we haved owned 3-5 years prior to any trademark filings. Almost reverse domain high-jacking? Thanks again for the post and reply. Best Regards - Steve

Garry Anderson

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi again Steve.

I have no doubt the folks who marketed the domain are OK to do business with :)

Regarding the owning of domain prior to trademark filings - my friends son had a similar experience with an overreaching business.

He had contact from a legal firm that supposedly have particular strengths with intellectual property.

They made very good argument as to why they should take his domain from him.

However, there was no need for a lawyer - I simply sent an email to them on his behalf, highlighting all their obvious ignorance on every single point they raised.

My argument covered these main areas:
1. Reverse hijacking.
2. Legitimacy of secondary market.
3. Domains are not trademarks.
4. Their "Rightful Ownership" of domain.
5. Definition of 'Cybersquatting'.

Needless to say - they did not come back ;-)

Certainly not that I would recommend anybody else to do the same without legal advice.

URLCollection

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks Garry - That is the general idea of how we handle these - I am sure the folks here appreciate you comments and insight, as I know I do - Take Care - Steve

MediaHound

Former DNF Admin
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hello,

I imagine that quite a few of you have already noticed that BackcountryStore.com has a new look and the header now says Backcountry.com. We are excited about the new name and even more so about the new look of the site. It is the same giant selection of gear and the same free shipping offer. We will still be offering weekly sales and unsurpassed customer service. You will find all the features and navigation you are familiar with in a cleaner, more functional package.

We have finished a week of live testing and Backcountry.com is open for business. It is now time to start the process of switching URLs from BackcountryStore.com to Backcountry.com. Most of these changes will be done by us through the CJ interface but any links you have hard coded will need to be switched on your end. All of the categories, sub-categories, product groups and product skus from BackcountryStore.com have stayed the same so you will only need to do a find and replace for BackcountryStore.com to Backcountry.com. I know that many of you have thousands of pages with links to BackcountryStore.com that will need to be changed and this process is not as simple as it sounds. BackcountryStore.com will stay up for a while but I urge you to get all of your links switched over as quickly as possible. We have set June 1st as the deadline for changing all of our links and would like to have all affiliate links changed by the same day.

Here is our schedule for changing links to Backcountry.com:

- All text links, banners and sniplets changed over today. These will update themselves on your site. The only update necessary here is the header on the old sniplets because it is hard-coded. The other parts of the sniplets will update themselves.
- Product catalogs and datafeeds will be updated Monday May 24. You will not have to change anything here, these links will be automatically updated.
- Categories, sub-categories, product groups, and keyword links will be changed Monday May 24. Again, these links will be updated automatically on CJ in the section marked advanced links. Any hard-coded category, sub-category, or product links that you have on your sites will have to be updated manually.

We do not want a single affiliate to lose a sale when BackcountryStore.com gets turned off. The June 1st deadline will leave plenty of time for catching any missed links but we should not to get started. Please start the process of switching your links to Backcountry.com today.

Thanks,

Thomas Bracken
Affiliate Marketing Coordinator
Backcountry.com

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
This message was sent by an advertiser in the Commission Junction network based on the mail settings selected in your account. Commission Junction does not send messages to individuals outside of its network and guards the privacy of all information received. To unsubscribe from receiving this type of message, login or visit www.cj.com to sign in. Once in the Account Manager, navigate to the mail settings page located within the MAIL tab. You may opt-out of receiving messages from this specific advertiser through their advertiser detail page.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom