Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Backing up data - local or online?

Status
Not open for further replies.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Are online data backup providers better to secure your info than a local external hard drive?
I've been looking online, and don't really know how safe companies like Carbonite are.
I would rather have my drives backed up off site, but I'm really concerned about the security.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That's one of my concerns. What's the best alternative though?
At home, you have to worry about fire, theft, etc

hawkeye

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's one of my concerns. What's the best alternative though?
At home, you have to worry about fire, theft, etc
Only thing left is to store them all in your head, and pray Alzheimer doesn't come too soon!

Obviously nothing is perfect, as something can always happen to someone or someplace, somewhere! Just 'life'.

dmyre

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
True, but I'm not only talking about sensitive information.
I'm also talking about photos, documents, music, favorites, etc.

Stian

www.bitweb.no
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I store my backups in a fireproof safe in the house. Also, a few of my most important documents (that are updated on a daily basis) syncs with Dropbox. That way I have them up to date on all my devices (PC, laptop, iPad, iPhone).

Also, online backup depends on your internet connectivity. If you have several gigabytes of data and a 10mbit/5mbit connection then your computer will most likely be uploading data 24/7, maxing out your bandwidth.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am a photographer and also have pounds of files also that I need to protect.

I use a small server on our home network, with 4 - 1.5tb drives in a raid configuration behind a firewall. The server is located in a secure place in our home and on an independant ups.

I think it cost a total of a bit under a grand, but all our pc's and laptops are protected now by automatic backups, and all users have private password protected directories they can use where all files are duplicated on the server on seperate drives.

It is probably a bit overkill for home use, but I also use it for business purposes.

Had it about two years now and it paid for itself the first week it was setup when one of our laptop drives failed. It took less than a half an hour to replace the drive in the laptop, and restore the files.

I feel really assured now that I am protected. I dont think I would feel good using a service.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom