Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

closed BahamasIslands.com - Correct spelling

This thread has been closed by the original author or DNF staff member.
Status
Not open for further replies.

petercol

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sorry - it IS BahamasIslands.com - I misspelled in the title bar.

Can I get some honest opinions on this name's value? It is a commonly accepted name for a country - The Islands of the Bahamas, The Bahamas, Bahamas, or Bahamas Islands are all used in place of the real name of the country - The Commonwealth of the Bahamas (which I also own) - great travel destination, over 340,000 population. Bahamas Islands 84,900,000 Google search results - $1.70 CPC on 22,000+ monthly keyword searches exact phrase "Bahamas Islands" and $3.09 CPC on 210,000 searches per month for "Bahamas Island" singular.

Any ideas? I have owned this for a LONG time and know it is a phenomenal developmental name, but I don't see why my vastly reduced asking price has not had any offers.

Thanks
Peter

Last edited by a moderator:
Domain Days 2024

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The two words are spelled correctly but the term itself is incorrect in that both words are pluralized. Bahama Islands would be the correct term. When I search google I get 783,000 results for 'bahama islands' but only 73,000 results for 'bahamas islands'. This is similiar to say comparing the terms 'caribbeans islands' with 'caribbean islands' which may be more obvious. As with your term, the first word in presented in its possessive form, ie. caribbean's islands. It's still a pretty good domain but I think only for monetizing the traffic it does get, not developing a major site upon because as far as typein traffic, most are going to go to bahamaislands.com which as you can see is a fairly large developed site.

petercol

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the note, I agree with part of your argument, but I could not disagree more with your analogy - noone ever, to my knowledge, has uttered the word "caribbeans", and, in fact, the term "Caribbean" as a "land reference" refers to the "Caribs" or Lesser Antilles.

Everybody says "Bahamas" Islands or "Bahamas" alone, even though the correct name of the country is the "Commonwealth of the Bahamas". Your search result figures are accurate, however, pluralizing and using both inherent terms gives a much different result. Because "Bahamas" alone is the predominant term used, it is inherently better to have "Bahamas Islands" than "Bahama Islands", unless you have had a few "Bahama Mamas."

Lastly, I am in the travel business and one of the agents that worked for me was born in, and still lives in, as she puts it, "Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas Islands." "Bahamas Islands" is the accepted terminology of native Bahamians.

Regardless, I do understand your "pluralized" point, but, sometimes, the accepted is not always the "correct term."

Again, I appreciate the feedback.

Thanks.
http://www.google.com/url?q=http://...D&cd=2&usg=AFQjCNG_-xte_3Qajg-PaI7fnHNl60zleA

The two words are spelled correctly but the term itself is incorrect in that both words are pluralized. Bahama Islands would be the correct term. When I search google I get 783,000 results for 'bahama islands' but only 73,000 results for 'bahamas islands'. This is similiar to say comparing the terms 'caribbeans islands' with 'caribbean islands' which may be more obvious. As with your term, the first word in presented in its possessive form, ie. caribbean's islands. It's still a pretty good domain but I think only for monetizing the traffic it does get, not developing a major site upon because as far as typein traffic, most are going to go to bahamaislands.com which as you can see is a fairly large developed site.

domainappraisal

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Stats: BahamasIslands.com
Keyword search volume (exact) - 2,900
CPC advertising price - $1.75
Traffic (Compete.com) - 0

Strengths: two word generic .com, some search volume

Weakness: Low CPC, no traffic

Comparable Sales w/ Stats:
Domain - Sales Price - Date - Monthly Search - CPC
GrandBahamas.com - $20,000 - Mar 2005 - 3,600 - $3.71
HawaiiIslands.com - $8,000 - May 2009 - 22,200 - $1.00
JamesIsland.com - $8,000 - May 2009 - 2,400 - $1.07
VirginIslands.net - $4,900 - Jan 2008 - 60,500 - $1.70
BahamasResort.com - $4,777 - Dec 2005 - 2,400 - $5.50

Final Thoughts: It appears that the term "Bahama Islands" is searched a tad bit more than "Bahamas Islands".

Fair Market Value: $4,000 - $8,000 USD
The above value represents the domains fair market value. Keep in mind that certain end users might purchase a domain name for far more or less than its fair market value.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
pluralizing and using both inherent terms gives a much different result.

Yes, because the results are combined for both words independently rather than as a term. It's strictly about english grammar. When combined with the plural word islands, the correct grammar is bahama - not bahamas. As for the analogy, that might not have been the best example but consider 'cars prices' vs 'car prices', same rules of grammar apply.

Try these two links and see which one works:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahamas_Islands

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bahama_Islands

Good luck with the domain though!

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom