Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Be Careful, Very Careful!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

lawpsych

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dear Fellow DNF Members,

I'm writing just to say "heads up" to a potential scam that several people have tried to pull on me here in DNForum. It involves an individual offering either to sell a name that I might like to own or to trade a domain name for one of my domain names. The only glitch??? In neither case did the individual actually own the domain name that he was trying to sell or trade.

In fact, in both cases, the domain names "offered" were not owned by ANYONE!!! In the first case, I calmly left DNForum and registered the domain name myself for $5.99 (that "owner" was asking over $100 for the name). In the second case, I just replied that I was not interested in the "trade." I later checked the ownership of the domain to be "traded" and discovered that it, too, was not owned by anyone. I didn't think that name was worth a reg fee, so I let it pass.

I won't mention any names here, but if you have a question about a particular DNForum "member," feel free to send me a PM or an email. The "explanations" I received in both cases got more and more convoluted as time wore on.

Just be careful out there!!!

Best regards,
Sheila

PS In both instances, I did my best to "educate" the particular members about the importance of honesty and trust and how that is the KEY to how we conduct business in this forum. I don't know if my lecturing did any good, but I hope that the confrontation itself was enough to get certain folks' attention.

:-(

.com.net.org

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Moral of the story:
Always do a whois check on any domain you want to purchase / trade. :)

Thanks for the "heads up"

lawpsych

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
.com.net.org said:
Moral of the story:
Always do a whois check on any domain you want to purchase / trade. :)

Thanks for the "heads up"

You are welcome, cno!!!

I agree wholeheartedly!! I know that most of us "old timers" do this automatically, but for some of the newer folks, it is advice that should always be heeded. It's just too easy to get a feeling of safety in a forum where most of us know each other, at least by reputation, but one little "slip" can be too costly to imagine. I find it disheartening to think that scammers are everywhere, including here, but they are, so better to be safe than sorry.

Best regards,
Sheila

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Sheila,

I would be most grateful if you would PM me the name of the member who did this - as Mods it is helpful to know what is going on and if a pattern emerges action can be taken.

Thanks,
MrW.

lawpsych

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Mr Webname said:
Hi Sheila,

I would be most grateful if you would PM me the name of the member who did this - as Mods it is helpful to know what is going on and if a pattern emerges action can be taken.

Thanks,
MrW.

Hi, MrW.

Sending PM to you now.

Thanks,
Sheila

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sheila
In situations like this it's best to publicize the members name and then ask the mods to just boot them out to protect the community. I don't understand the hesitation.
Doc

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Stoc, sometimes individuals have their reasons why they do not wish to do that, even when encouraged. Where they have informed the Mods we should respect their need for "privacy". Sheila has provided sufficient information for all members to be on their guard and we (Mods) are pursuing it.

QuantumBeam

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I agree with StocDoc,
Let the buyer beware of this member ?
Post us the madman.
:bandit:

cyphix

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree, I think it would be best to "out" the member... I mean, even if the mods ban them from dnforum, they could still rip you @ other forums where they may not be banned.

M

mole

Stocdoctor said:
Sheila
In situations like this it's best to publicize the members name and then ask the mods to just boot them out to protect the community. I don't understand the hesitation.
Doc

Hear! Hear!

There are of thousands of crooks, scammers, thieves, hackers on the Internet already. As a principle, you shouldn't trust anyone you meet here on this forum. The punishment for those who violate trust here, MUST be instant banishment and a shameful exit.

Mr Webname

Oldbie
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Problem is, when you make such a fuss after someone posts and brings it to the attention of the Mods, you run the risk of another member not posting at all for fear that you will all do what you are doing here!

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom