Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Be careful what you put down in Whois.

Status
Not open for further replies.

mems

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
WIPO Panel Finds Statement in Whois Can Be Used Against Registrant.

In a decision released today, WIPO Panelist Gordon Arnold determined that a registrant's statement "You should have bought it when you had the chance"
in Whois for Intellution.net demonstrated that the domain name had been registered in bad faith.
Arnold's decision makes it clear that registrants should avoid making such statements when registering domain names, or risk
being found to have engaged in bad faith.
http://arbiter.wipo.int/domains/decisions/html/2002/d2002-0914.html

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
>MarkMitford: WE are seeing a lot more people using the WHOIS reporting tool at Internic http://reports.internic.net/cgi/rpt_whois/rpt.cgi to report any inaccuracies in WHOIS.

Do you mean reports that have been directed to Dotster as a registrar? I reported a couple of whois inaccuracies myself (they actually made up bogus e-mail address using one of MY domains for their Administrative Contact), but have heard from the registrars (Alldomains.com and Tucows.com). May I ask how Dotster would respond to such complaints?

MarkMitford

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I believe that ICANN forwards those to the administrative contact they have at the registrar who is then required to investigate.

I think at Dotster we contact the customer and ask them to update the WHOIS data, if it isn't updated within a certain time the domain could be deleted.

Not sure exactly how we handle it as I am not on that side of things.

Mark......

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Originally posted by MarkMitford
I believe that ICANN forwards those to the administrative contact they have at the registrar who is then required to investigate.

I think this is the case too. Somebody reported the **ONE** domain for which I have false contact information. Tucows contacted me and requested that the information be updated within 2 weeks, otherwise the name us subject to deletion.

-Bob

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom