Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Beginners: If you don't know how to price your domains, then....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
this thought came to mind, so here goes.

if you don't know how to price your own domains -

then how would you know, how much to offer for a domain you wanted to buy?

just asking....

:)

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then it doesn't come down to knowing what it's worth .....then it is what it is worth to you...

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Then it doesn't come down to knowing what it's worth .....then it is what it is worth to you...

and how is that calculated?

is worth, equal to how much money you have on hand

or equal to an amount regardless of your budget?

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Ahh the 1%'rs are pissin on the noobs again. Sigh.

:ranger:

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

jaydub

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think "what you have on hand" ever decides value.....it may decide the most you could pay at the time...but not the value.

and how is that calculated?

is worth, equal to how much money you have on hand

or equal to an amount regardless of your budget?

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I don't think "what you have on hand" ever decides value.....it may decide the most you could pay at the time...but not the value.

that, my brother, is quite a definitive statement

it's one that i agree with, and i think it directly contradicts the belief that -

"a domain is only worth what a buyer is willing to pay"

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Most know the value of their domains, they're just waiting for that one sucker that has more money than brains (which will probably never come).

that, my brother, is quite a definitive statement

it's one that i agree with, and i think it directly contradicts the belief that -

It doesn't contradict that statement at all. Other buyer's may perceive the value of the domain very differently. What one buyer can pay doesn't dictate market value.

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score

How many times have we heard this line? Let me say I couldn't disagree with it more.. It comes from sellers negotiating for as much as they can from a potential buyer, but not all buyers are created equal, each have their own limits of what their willing to spend, one potential buyer could have a $5K budget whereas another buyer could have $50K, So it comes down to how long are we as domainers willing to hold out for that better offer? Not every Domainer is desperate to make a sale, some of us have full time jobs or have deeper pockets than others and can hold out for 5, 10, 20 years if need be.

So for the unmotivated seller, it is they who have the upper hand in the negotiation process and dictate what the price will be, NOT the buyer.

Members who sell on the forums are highly motivated and this is why we see so many low ball offers, buyers know this and they take full advantage of it.

Last edited:

PKumar

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I agree!

One problem I face for pricing my domains on Sedo for selling them.

Sedo encourages to set "buy now" price

But I think, I should use "make offer" as I leave room for negotiation and also, if it received any offers, then I may have to go into Auction process.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It doesn't contradict that statement at all. Other buyer's may perceive the value of the domain very differently. What one buyer can pay doesn't dictate market value.

sounds like it does, from what you say above:

if what one or any buyer can or could pay, doesn't dictate market value, then no buyer sets the price, the seller does.

I agree!

One problem I face for pricing my domains on Sedo for selling them.

Sedo encourages to set "buy now" price

But I think, I should use "make offer" as I leave room for negotiation and also, if it received any offers, then I may have to go into Auction process.

don't know exactly what you're agreeing to, but sedo does encourage buy now pricing, because it makes the "process" more efficient.

however, if or when you receive an offer, your domain will only go in an auction, if "you" make that choice....after receiving the offer.

i have some names with buy now prices and some with make offer, and some may be bliz-zank.

domaintriix

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
this thought came to mind, so here goes.

if you don't know how to price your own domains -

then how would you know, how much to offer for a domain you wanted to buy?

just asking....

Which takes us back to the first question. I have almost all of my domain names
parked at Sedo with "buy it now" prices for years and haven't made a sale. Does
this mean that I priced them wrong or just haven't found the right person yet. Now
Sedo has an estimator when you add a domain name but it always seems to come out
on the cheaper side.

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sounds like it does, from what you say above:

if what one or any buyer can or could pay, doesn't dictate market value, then no buyer sets the price, the seller does.

c'mon you aren't being serious? no one buyer sets the price the 'market' sets the price. what one buyer can pay suggests nothing about the market value.

Sedo has an estimator when you add a domain name but it always seems to come out
on the cheaper side.

Makes sense that would be the case, they want the domain to sell.

Last edited:

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
Which takes us back to the first question. I have almost all of my domain names
this mean that I priced them wrong or just haven't found the right person yet. Now
on the cheaper side.

Don't get mad at me, but it could be the quality of domains you have OR your starting price at Sedo is set to high.. I sell my own domains and don't use a broker and yet I manage to sell anywhere from 1 to 4 domains a month.. If you want me to take a look at them, feel free to send me a PM.

katherine

Country hopper
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have almost all of my domain names
this mean that I priced them wrong or just haven't found the right person yet.
That is perfectly normal.
There are millions of domains listed at Sedo alone, in .com more than 100 million domains are registered but the vast majority have no resale value. Perhaps 1% are worth something (being generous).
The market cannot absorb all the supply. In order to make sales, we have to get our hands on the few domains that will appeal to end users.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
c'mon you aren't being serious? no one buyer sets the price the 'market' sets the price. what one buyer can pay suggests nothing about the market value.

i say the seller sets the price, others say the buyer sets the price and above, you say the "market" sets the price.

so what market are you speaking of...

reseller market

end-user market

auction venue market?

dcristo

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
typically the end user market. the domains that only attract reseller interest are pretty crap for the most part. i'd like to think auction sites like tdnam attract end users.

domaintriix

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That is perfectly normal.
There are millions of domains listed at Sedo alone, in .com more than 100 million domains are registered but the vast majority have no resale value. Perhaps 1% are worth something (being generous).
The market cannot absorb all the supply. In order to make sales, we have to get our hands on the few domains that will appeal to end users.

Which are .... ? What kind do you think? curious? just an example please.

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Which are .... ? What kind do you think? curious? just an example please.

For a generic, something that has a clear commercial use. Cars.com, Antiques.com, flights.com, etc etc etc. This can also apply to 2-3 word names.

For a "brandable" name, it is subjective, and can require a lot of patience for a sale, but it should be easy to pronounce, short, and pass the "radio test".

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom