Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Beginners Questions - Please Answer

Status
Not open for further replies.

ecomindia

e-commerce.in
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
. Is their a downside, or anything I need to worry about when using coupon codes? - No

2. Is it possible to "push" domains from a different registrar before 60 days? - Depends on Registrar. Some Allows, some does not

3. What are the pros and cons of using Google Adsense compared to that of parking a domain? - Debatable. but my personal thought is - Adsense on a minisite gives more in a longer run. Parking gives good for domains that are time bound like and sports event, cultural event domains etc

4. Are the new.co any good to purchase? - ok, if you have extra money

5. Do you pay taxes on domaining if that's your sole income? If so, how do you keep track of all purchases, investments, revenue, etc. - NA

6. If a domain is being auctioned on lets say, GoDaddy, would it show up on a different registrar's auction? Would it strictly be limited to that registrar? - yes, it does show up and its always better to remove the domain from all other platofrms once the auction starts in one of the platform

7. how do you avoid WHOIS monitoring? - Whois Privacy

8. Do you use one registrar for all of your services (i.e. parking, escrow, backorder, etc)? If not, how many registrars are you registered with? - Depends, more the 10 as of now..

9. Do you limit yourself to the amount of domains you purchase per month? - Yes, that is the basic

10. When do you consider parking or developing a domain - when i can convince myself to invest the money in develop, design, content rather then buying domains out of it

hope it helps

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hell Everyone,

Let me start by saying that I'm excited to start this new venture in my life. I've been doing a lot of reading, and have a few questions that need answering. Any and all help is definitely appreciated.

1. Is their a downside, or anything I need to worry about when using coupon codes?

2. Is it possible to "push" domains from a different registrar before 60 days?

3. What are the pros and cons of using Google Adsense compared to that of parking a domain?

4. Are the new.co any good to purchase?

5. Do you pay taxes on domaining if that's your sole income? If so, how do you keep track of all purchases, investments, revenue, etc.

6. If a domain is being auctioned on lets say, GoDaddy, would it show up on a different registrar's auction? Would it strictly be limited to that registrar?

7. how do you avoid WHOIS monitoring?

8. Do you use one registrar for all of your services (i.e. parking, escrow, backorder, etc)? If not, how many registrars are you registered with?

9. Do you limit yourself to the amount of domains you purchase per month?

10. When do you consider parking or developing a domain?

Sorry for all of the questions. I'm just really hungry for information and I can't wait to actually register my first domain!

All the best,

Brian

1. yes, you can start to depend on them then the registrar stops the program and you are stuck with hundreds of domains to renew at regular or increased pricing.

also, the dependance can blind you to considering other registrars that may provide better services.

2. you cannot "push" domains from one registrar to another. you can only "transfer" from one to another.
a. you can push domains from one account to another at registrars that allow this practice.
b. note: godaddy considers a "push" as an account transfer, and as such will deny the transfer of a domain that has been "pushed" to another account with godaddy for 60 days. this procedure does not exixt at some other registrars.

3. more or less money, other issues which take more than one sentence to go into. (read more)

4. are the old .mobi good to purchase?

5. invoices are available for past purchases if needed

6. most likely it would only show on gobdaddly, though most registrars don't have their own auctions. many registrars have partnered with various 'drop catchers' like snapnames, namejet, pool etc. and those names typically go to auction after they've expired, though some do have "seller" auctions where the names are still registered.

7. don't care who looks at my whois info, plus it can help to get sales.

8. no, maybe 5 or 6

9. i try to, as one should have a budget

10. when one has time and or money

imo...

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Is their a downside, or anything I need to worry about when using coupon codes?

No, no downside, you just need to search for them.

2. Is it possible to "push" domains from a different registrar before 60 days?

No, you cannot push domains from one registrar to another, you can only push domains from one account to another at the same registrar.

3. What are the pros and cons of using Google Adsense compared to that of parking a domain?

Google adsense is used for developed sites, parking is for sites you are not developing.

4. Are the new.co any good to purchase?

no, .co is a waste of money in my opinion.

5. Do you pay taxes on domaining if that's your sole income? If so, how do you keep track of all purchases, investments, revenue, etc.

Yes, you should keep track the same way you would any business.
Especially your first year where you will probably lose money.
Get a good accountant.

6. If a domain is being auctioned on lets say, GoDaddy, would it show up on a different registrar's auction? Would it strictly be limited to that registrar?

Go Daddy Auctions only show up at Go Daddy.
Random auctions of lousy names can be found on ebay.

7. how do you avoid WHOIS monitoring?

Why would you need to? Don't register trademarks or domain typos.

8. Do you use one registrar for all of your services (i.e. parking, escrow, backorder, etc)? If not, how many registrars are you registered with?

No, use one registrar but use whoever you want for services.

9. Do you limit yourself to the amount of domains you purchase per month?

Yes, everyone has a budget.
There is no point continuing to spend money if there is no return.

10. When do you consider parking or developing a domain?

The minute a domain is registered it should be parked until developed.

-=DCG=-

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
9 out of 10 questions seem to have straight forward answers, I won't touch the first 9 but the 10th - parking vs. development.

Right now parking pay is in the gutter at best. Unless you have a nam that is doing very well parked, I would say develop it with good and unique content. Parking is great for domains in queue to be developed, you can measure traffic (natureal traffic - backlinks, typeins, etc,) and maybe earn a few pennies.

Develop the domain and put some well place adsense ads. Remember - the lower click % the lower pay% you'll have get so get rid of placements that aren't performing (you can keep track of this by using channels).

stewie

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Actually smart to ask question like this... goodluck!! :yo:

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
2. Being that I'm new to the game, is there anything you would like to share with me that you wish you knew when you first started?

Quality over quantity. It's better to spend extra $$$ on 2-3 good names as opposed to a hundred reg fee names - mainly because 2-3 registration fees a year is better than a hundred. ;)

When I started I sat at my PC at a registrar and said "this is a cool name! I bet I could get a lot for it!" many times. All those names I've dropped with the exception of 2-3, which I still use (mainly for nostalgia, not keywords).

Look though your hobbies and interests. If it's not overly done with mini content sites, set up some simple blog sites on the hobby with some good keyword domains.

CamMK27

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thank you all for the responses, I absolutely appreciate all of the help thus far. I have two more questions:

1. What registrar do you use and why? I was thinking of signing up with namecheap but I'm not exactly sure.

2. Being that I'm new to the game, is there anything you would like to share with me that you wish you knew when you first started?

I'd definitely appreciate is anyone could answer these two questions for me. Hope all is well with everyone.

You can use any one out of these. Moniker.com, Godaddy.com, Name.com, Namecheap.com

Most of us prefer Godaddy and keep most of our domains at Godaddy but it really doesn't matter. All of the above mentioned registrars are good. Godaddy has a lot of deals all the time.

2. If I could go back when I started, this is what I would do.. I would never go crazy registering 100's or even 1000 plus domains left a right which was a huge mistake. I have dropped most of them, although a lot of them have been picked up at the drop and are on sale for $xxx or even $x,xxx.

2 Examples are

BridalCheap.com (which people told me to drop when I asked in the appraisal section) and now it is on sale for $1495 at HugeDomains.com. Not sure how long it will take to sell it but if they do then it was not a bad domain at all.

DrillBeads.com again on sale at HugeDomains.com for $1995

And of course there are many others that I won't go into...

So anyway what I would do (with the money I had back then to invest in domains) is buy high traffic and rev generating domains in many high paying niches and develop sites on them putting up fresh and unique content with my affiliate links and adsense and generate revenue.

So if you have good amount of money to invest then buy domains with good keywords that have at least 100 uvs a day and making $20-$50 a month in rev and then develop sites. Even if you pay $500-$1000 or more for a domain that has natural type in traffic, it will be worth it in the long run because you can make that money back in a year or less specially if you make affiliate sales from your affiliate links. Then after one year or so all you have to do is pay only $10 for the renewal and if the domain is making you $500 or more a year then it is a very profitable domain. If you have 100 domains that are making you $500 -$1000 a year in profits then that can make pretty close to 6 figures a year in residual income.. And some domains with decent traffic wouldn't even need development, all you will have to do is forward them to your affiliate links and you will end up making sales and earning yourself affiliate commissions.

Don't waste money registering domains if they have less than 1000 exact local searches a month in google. Try to stick to .coms only when buying domains unless real good keyword domains with decent type in traffic.

Don't spread yourself too much that you lose focus. For example, if you have $5000 to invest then invest that in 1 or 2 or 3 domains at the most and focus on building income from those domains and then re invest the profits to buy more until you have built yourself a good portfolio that is generating great revenue. If you have a large budget to start with then You can buy as many domains as you want as quickly as possible if the prices are good then park most of them and start developing a few at first in the mean while parked domains are generating revenue.

Development is the key. There is not much money left in parking maybe with some exception since some domains do better parked than developed.

Niches that will make you money:

Webhosting

Finance: Credit cards, loans, paydayloans etc

Real Estate: mortgage, foreclosures, housing, apartments etc

Dating: You can develop white label dating sites and make recurring revenue from memberships.

And many others.

Read a lot before you begin. The only domain I would recommend that you register right away is your name (first name if not taken and first and last name if not taken) so you can brand yourself later if you want. The rest just look for deals. Search forums, read blogs from the top guns in the industry. And I wish you all the best.. There is still plenty of money to be made if you don't make the mistakes that most newbies do and I am guilty of that. Work hard but work smart and you shall do fine.. Maybe in a year or 2 you can work full time from home if that is your goal.

All the best :)

Reaction score
Parking is ideally for domains that *already* have traffic. As they (mostly) do not get indexed by search engines you will need an already existing traffic stream to make any money. Developing refers to creating traffic for domains that (perhaps) don't have any. The goal is to get search engines to index them and increase traffic by having a useful site that people will want to refer to repeatedly.

To give an example using the domain you mentioned:
brian.com will already have traffic regardless of search engines/website as it will be generating 'type-ins'. Type-in traffic refers to people actually typing the domain into the browser bar (most likely people called Brian or speculators checking to see what's available).
However if you purchased my-name-is-brian.com it would most likely have no traffic at all without development. In that case you could create content/website which would hopefully be picked up by search engines and other sources of traffic (word of mouth etc).
The first would take a much larger initial investment but less time to start monetising. The second would take a small investment (registration fee) but would take time and promotion money to achieve the same level.

Last edited:

adonivideo

Level 5
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
i still think this is a schill thread or a joke

LOL

Reaction score
Wow who'd have thought it? Someone actually asking a BEGINNER question in a Domain BEGINNERS and Newbies section! I think someone is just craving attention or off their meds :rolleyes:

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom