Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Best domains to own!

Status
Not open for further replies.

sachac1

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a number of country specific domains, eg. www.widgets.com.xx, where xx is my country's extension. I got the idea when I recently visited Taiwan and saw the huge proliferation of .com.tw websites advertised. Purely as an investment, what would be the best domains to own (assuming they are still available).

thevirtual

Level 10
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Regarding the .co.tw tld, that is a third level extension. I would assume most Taiwan websites would be under the first level .tw extension?

To answer your question, generic domains are usually preferred over cctld domains. But I would say the most used cctld ext. are .de, .co.uk, .eu, .in, .cn. Also if you count .tv as a cctld.

sachac1

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
The .xx domains for my country are $1,000 for 2 years or $500 for local registrants. The .com.xx's are $30, which I assume may also be the case in Taiwan.

Now that this has been cleared up, what are the best domains to register?

DomainBuyerBroker

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
generic names like cameras, hotels, travel and the like.

Also, geo domains like cities and travel destinations in your country.

Good luck. Buy quality, not quantity.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The .xx domains for my country are $1,000 for 2 years or $500 for local registrants. The .com.xx's are $30, which I assume may also be the case in Taiwan.

unless you plan on developing them into viable websites, then you're wasting money on .com.xx domains

duskdawn

DN.CC
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No that is not the case. Taiwan's situation is similar to China and India's. All of them started promoting .com.xx (co.in in India's case) first. Only until recent years they started open registry for top level .xx to public.
Due to the longer exposure, second level urls are popular and more recognized than top level urls in those countries BUT things change as time moves on. .CN is now equally if not more common for Chinese websites than .com.cn. The same goes for the other 2 ccTLD.
Anyhow, unless you are quite familiar with local markets, don't jump yourself into every ccTLDs. As a newbie, you better start with something generic eg gTLDs especially the new comers like .mobi etc.
If you go every country they all use their ccTLDs, does that mean you will earn money by investing in them? Not really. Seriously I don't see where the huge value of .com.tw lies.

robert

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I am interested in purchasing a number of country specific domains, eg. www.widgets.com.xx, where xx is my country's extension. I got the idea when I recently visited Taiwan and saw the huge proliferation of .com.tw websites advertised. Purely as an investment, what would be the best domains to own (assuming they are still available).

The key bit of the question is the last part - 'assuming they are still available' .

That rules out .de .co.uk etc as they have been snapped up many years ago.

Emerging ccTLD's are always a gamble , but that is the gamble the people in .de and .co.uk took 8 years ago.

If you think history repeats, or that certain TLD's are too entrenched to grow is why it is speculation :)

One thing I always think of is that .de and .co.uk are massive now, give them time and they will become huge.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score

I do not see it so where is "my country". Are you limited to a sole registrar?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom