Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Best forum software with hosting

Status
Not open for further replies.

ebrdomains

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I m looking to start a forum and was wondering anyone have any suggustions. I have no experience in installing software or anything like that. I just want a forum with hosting that I can customize easily. Thanks!

Eric

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vBulliten is great but it costs $$$. For free ones, I prefer SMF - use the "beta' version - it's very stable and has a lot of nice features that the non-beta doesn't have. A lot of people also use phpBB but I don't find it as easy to manage as SMF.

As for hosting, I've been using HostMonster and I've been content, they're inexpensive but I'm sure they're lacking in a lot of features that other, more expensive hosts may include (like good (and included) spam blocking..)

ebrdomains

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi how about going with something like godaddy website builder where you can add forums. Is this something that is basically easy to do.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I've never played with GD's forums but when I was with a different host you had very little leeway with the forum. You couldn't change the code (to add advertisements etc..) and to say that the forum was very basic would be an understatement.

Give it a try but make sure you're set with a script / package before you go all out - it's not easy to convert the databases from one forum to another.

If you're worried that it might be too hard, don't worry about that. Get a database set up (your host will do that), upload your forum where you need it to and run the install script. It'll ask you a few questions (database name, login, password, email etc..) and you're up and running.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
sparklit is even better than simple designforum, which i find the easier of godaddy's panopoly of forum ware.

vbulletin for a newby? stop taunting him.

ebrdomains, goto sparklit and signup. The forum have great working features, one touch install, 9write in the domainnname) easy user admin features, a sparklit directory listing, instabutton themes changes, css editing quick quick heya, and tone color editing you can see instantly without permanent commitments or code snafus.

very simple ease of use, absolutely always login integrity.

simple design simple machiene forum next best.

but godaddy puts sponsor button in free hosted or credit hosted forum apps.

be well

Anthony Ng

@Nameslave
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I m looking to start a forum and was wondering anyone have any suggustions. I have no experience in installing software or anything like that. I just want a forum with hosting that I can customize easily.
Look for a CPanel host which includes Fantastico (at no extra cost). You'll be able to install phpBB with just a few clicks. phpBB is NOT the best forum app on earth (unlike vBulletin), but they do have a big enough user base, so support is not too bad.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
good job eric u won't be sorry.(i am out of message space)

are you doing cooltext?

anyway, navigate interface STYLe -> header-look for box to put in the url of your graphic or logo. put it up online and paste the url in there.

SAVE

I

impactadmin

vBulletin is the way to as number 1 choice. However phpbb is a free version and includes some great features as well.

Dnforum runs on vbulletin software and many other large forums are supported by vbulletin because of the vast features.

myst woman

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
for someone with no experience with installing software or php, he'd have to hire a programmer/coder.

how do vast features apply to someone that wants an easy forum to customize?

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vbulletin if you are serious.

I

impactadmin

I agree. I was suggesting vbulletin is the best software to go in regards to forum software.

Phpbb is not a hard install and is pretty straight forward. Someone who hasnt really played with forums before will definitely require some help in having it setup properly.

Easiest way would be to try out Godaddy with their hosting account.

http://www.godaddy.com/Hosting/web-hosting.aspx?ci=9009#details

Features are listed there with ability to start forum.

steveatvillas

Domain Network Developer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
vBulletin

Sonny Banks

<span style="font-weight: bold;"><span style="font
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
VBulletin + HostGator and you have a super start-up forum.
When your forum will increase visitors you will turn to dedicated hosting.

talas

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
1. phpBB: it is free and open source with large amount users.
2. VBulletin: it is a $XXX solytion, but more powerable.
3. IPB

vistaxie

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
discuz is an chinese bbs script @discuz.com if you know chinese..:)

english version @discuz2u.com

4u-domains

DNF Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Avoid anything to do with Godaddy apart from registering domains...

Forums.... VBulleten if you dont mind spending.
PHPBB or SMF if you are on a budget.

Most basic hosting plans now (say, $5 a month) will likely include Fantastico which will install a phpbb forum at the click of a button.

heirJORDAN

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
vBulletin, by far. I also second the hostgator suggestion for hosting.

But beware; this can become costly. vBulletin runs on a yearly renewal license, the last I checked. Also, the software tends to take a lot of bandwidth. That can eat up your hosting plan in no time with moderate traffic. Which could lead to a dedicated server, which runs over $100 a month. Therefore, be prepared to have at least $2k spent on your forums, yearly.

2nd is almost a tossup depending on personal preferences. I use an ipbboard which is a poor man's vbulletin and does me justice.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom