Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Best way to acquire premium domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

LarsenDomains

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I have had some success in the past buying domains on Godaddy expiring domains, and reselling them for profit.
That has always been my strategy.

From what I have been reading on this forum, I have started to think different.

Can I say the following is true?

1. All good domains that are in Pending Delete WILL be taken by one of the big companies like SnapNames, NameJet, Pool etc
2. If this is true why does Godaddy expired auctions sometimes have premium domains?

The main point I am trying to make is, I am starting to feel using SnapNames, NameJet, Pool etc.
will ALWAYS be better value wise than waiting for them to go to Godaddy Auctions
Thoughts?

amplify

Level 5
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Godaddy has preference for expiring names in their registrar. There are some premium domains you see that people forget to renew and get sold, but the owner has 7 days in order to reclaim the domain. In otherwords, you paid for it, but it's not yours until it's in your account.

The other companies you mentioned are drop catchers. This meaning, for a substantially higher rate, you can catch one pending delete for the minimum price... if not, it goes to auction. They have a high better success rate capturing domains, but can't touch Godaddy domains until they're pending delete.

angel69

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
You may want to stay away from Pool, bad memories lol... SnapNames and NameJet are too large to ignore so we're stuck w/them but you can do just as good if you avoid Pool

Last time I checked NameJet took dropped names from Enom, NetSol and Fabulous only..... and SnapNames takes all other registrar drops, except for some who have agreements with Pool (like some Canadian registrar I was once sent to who at the time did not let you do pushes, you had to fomally "request" them by email lol, I forgot their name, I wonder if they even still exist.....) but Pool does not do catching from that many registrars to begin with, so you won't be missing much

And as David said, Go Daddy being both the registrar and owning its auction service, they have the advantage of having expiring names still regged with them, including premium ones, so if not renewed they get auctioned on their own site, and like he also said if you see a GD name at SnapNames it's because GD could not sell it (and there were no backorders on it) and it's in the "pending delete" phase

I find dealing w/drop catchers, namely SN and NJ, both exhausting and frustrating, and the biggest problems I've had are after you get the name, dealing with registrar and/or push locks after auctions, being forced to keep them at some fly by night reseller in the middle of nowhere, even blackmail.....! lol a couple of those "resellers" did all they could to not let me transfer names away from them, so watch out for any ensuing drama lol .....

:drama:

LarsenDomains

Level 2
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks this makes alot of sense.
Pretty much what I take from it, SnapNames/NJ can not touch Godaddy domains, unless they do not sell at GoDaddy auctions. But if they did not sell, they were junk anyways.
About right?

Jack Gordon

Serial Entrepreneur
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
A lot of this depends on your definition of what a premium domain is. Many domains drop every day, and the different services are pretty good at putting the best ones out there for competition.

However, you can dive into some niches that have far less competition and get some surprisingly good names pretty easily. It takes time and effort to monitor the droplists every day, and if you let down your guard you will inevitably miss some good opportunities.

But by paying attention, I have even used the droplists to target many domains that I was able to hand register for $9 that could be considered very premium in my niche. Of course, there is inherent risk in going that route with more appealing and generic names, but after some experience you can develop a sense of where the $9 opportunities are, and where the $69 opportunities are.

chipmeade

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Looking at your question in the title of the thread, the solution is simple. Throw money at premium names and you will be able to acquire them.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have had some success in the past buying domains on Godaddy expiring domains, and reselling them for profit.
That has always been my strategy.

From what I have been reading on this forum, I have started to think different.

IF....all you said above is true, then why question as successful strategy?

i mean, if you've been reselling for a profit
then they must have been "good domains" to the folks who bought them.

but if you plan to expand your kill range, then you'll have to increase ammunition $upply.

:)

webdom

Level 4
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Never used Pool or Go daddy. I have been told to stay away from Go daddy when back ordering domain names. I always use Namejet and Snap Names. It has always paid off with them. Try to think of domain names off hand and get a skill to contact the owners. Sometimes it will pay off really big!

Why is Namejet or Snap Names better? They have more registrars then the other 2.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom