Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Best way to use new domains?

Status
Not open for further replies.

raindance

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm new to the world of domaining and made the classic mistake of buying a bunch of domains that I just liked or thought had some developement potential (about 40 domains). I applied for accounts yesterday at Fabulous, Gold Key, Smart Names, TrafficZ. They all denied me. So I guess I bought names with no type-in traffic potential or not enough of that type. I did no traffic research as I hadn't done enough research yet to realize you could and must do that. (I've now bought Domain Research Tools and the Ebook promoted on this site by Zach Bastick.

One of my domains, which I've had for about a year is sanfrancisohomes.com Seems to me this could get some type in traffic. I had it parked at Godaddy for about a week, no clicks. I now have it parked at Sedo.

But when you go to that page, what the page is being populated is nearly totally unrelated to san francisco homes. It's not good optimization. Go Daddy's was better but got no clicks.

Any suggestions? Some of the domains I think have developement potential which is what I bought them for. Some may have resale value...I'm not sure.

Now I know not to buy any more domains until I know what I'm doing but any suggestions on where to park the typo one given my denial by the good parking compaines?

Also, any other tools folks like to use? I've been playing with premiumdrops, the Moniker Domain Grabber, Drop Shark, Drop Watch, got Zach's book, read Ron Jackson's newbie guide. Any other "how to get off on the right foot" advice would be appreciated!

Thanks in advance...looking forward to being part of this forum.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
lol

why park at godaddy?
I can't recall seeing any members here or on other forums, posting parking stats from godaddy.

one should always list their names at sedo first, as they pretty much accept every applicant and while they are listed there, it's possible you could get an offer from a potential buyer.
those other ppc's you mentioned, they will check your domain submissions before acceptance or it may be easier to get accepted if referred by a current user.

your domain has good potential for type-ins and you should manually enter your keywords, if you haven't already.

also, search the results in google for your domain, in quotation marks without the extension. ie: "san francisco homes" and use some of the keywords from any of the paid ads you see.

you can also develop content for the domain and use adsense as the revenue producer.

my tip:

don't spend another dime on another piece of software, script or tool until you know what direction you want to go.

raindance

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the detailed help...I appreciate it!

I parked that one at GoDaddy because it was the first I'd heard of parking a domain to monetize it. It was before I found this fabulous forum :)

Have you had any experience with Parked.com? I see some members here like it. It is more advantageous to be on Sedo for possible resale opportunities?

Thanks very much!

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I currently use, in the order of most names parked....

sedo
domainsponsor
fabulous
parked
namedrive

a couple of names at parkingpanel
and one domain at goldkey

imo...it's best to at least have your names "listed" at Sedo for possible resale opportunities, regardless to whether you park them there or not.

raindance

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Great, thanks. I'll optimize the keywords on Sedo and give that a try...I see now why it's giving such unrelated links.

Have you tried any of those programs which build multiple sites easily and plug in the Amazon links, Google article links, Clickbank links, RSS feeds etc.? Or are they all scams/bad way to go for developing content?

I've been a web designer for ten years or so, I have no problem developing a site, but it would be nice to have a more scalable, faster way to go about it.

Raider

Level 9
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
your domain has good potential for type-ins and you should manually enter your keywords, if you haven't already.

Read his original post, the domain is sanfrancisohomes.com, a "typo"

One of my domains, which I've had for about a year is sanfrancisohomes.com Seems to me this could get some type in traffic. I had it parked at Godaddy for about a week, no clicks. I now have it parked at Sedo.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Read his original post, the domain is sanfrancisohomes.com, a "typo"

i read it, even though i may have typed it correctly for the example.

typo's do get type-ins! :)

thanks

raindance

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Yes, it is a typo domain.

I've now got them all listed and parked on Sedo. Any words of wisdom about how to price them? Of course without knowing what they are it's impossible for you to know but I mean do you have any tips about how to start getting a sense of value or the best way to start? I have 60 domains there now.

MacyT.

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Have you tried any of those programs which build multiple sites easily and plug in the Amazon links, Google article links, Clickbank links, RSS feeds etc.? Or are they all scams/bad way to go for developing content?

I've been a web designer for ten years or so, I have no problem developing a site, but it would be nice to have a more scalable, faster way to go about it.

If you can design your own sites, you are much better off coming up with your own system. Avoid scraping content from other sites. If you can afford to - hire writers to help you with creating article content. Make sure it is useful to a reader.

Take advantage of your web designing skills and come up with something unique. You will be rewarded for that.

INVIGOR

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a lot of the domains we acquire when new to the game are nothing short of "virtual" toilette paper. Live and learn.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Unfortunately a lot of the domains we acquire when new to the game are nothing short of "virtual" toilette paper. Live and learn.

that made me laugh :)

last month i regged a hyphenated, two-word typo domain, of an existing typo that I already had regged a few months ago. :)

did ya hear? that's a hyphenated typo of another typo domain!

it's on first page of google this month

so far... 2 visits, 1 click, $1.24 rev.

sometimes you get lucky!

raindance

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
That's awesome Biggie :)

And thanks to MacyT for the solid advice.

Live and learn...hopefully learn a lot fast! No more virutal toilet paper please! I guess that's how you learn though and sometimes get lucky.

cursal

MomsDigest.com For Sale!
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
just pointing out that http://www.virutaltoiletpaper.com/ is still avail

@Biggedon congrats. Wild to hear that.
last month i regged a hyphenated, two-word typo domain, of an existing typo that I already had regged a few months ago.

did ya hear? that's a hyphenated typo of another typo domain!

it's on first page of google this month

so far... 2 visits, 1 click, $1.24 rev.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom