Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Best web project for a kid?

Status
Not open for further replies.

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I want to give my kid a web project, I've already got her started on a blog using blogger, but want her to try something more.

What is a good skill for a 12 to 15 year old to get started on learning themselves? Build a mobile website, build a blog using wordpress, article writing, etc?
It is not something she has to do right away, but I'd like to get her learning something besides using an ipod and playing games - lol.

Put another way, if you were young what would you see as the skills to focus on learning now, so that when you're older they will pay off. I'm thinking something on the internet because it can be done at home with spare time.

silentg

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
1. Learning coding (css/HTML/php)
2. Graphic design (photoshop, illustrator)

Free tutorials are all over Internet. Or you can use lynda.com tutorial (paid).

Onward

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My 6 y/o is creating content.

Last year, he was an announcer for his favorite baseball team and will have his own webcast this year.

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
12-15 is a tough age - we all start to show our own independence then. I would say find something that interests her and maybe build a site up on it. Wordpress for a starter and have her write articles on it. Then, maybe later on, have her start coding. It's content that's important but good coding can make some good $$$ but is more tedious and people can quickly lose interest - especially at that age.

Also, I highly recommend teaching her web responsibility. What information is safe to give out, what isn't and that anything she posts on the internet may be around forever.

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
12-15 is a tough age - we all start to show our own independence then. I would say find something that interests her and maybe build a site up on it. Wordpress for a starter and have her write articles on it. Then, maybe later on, have her start coding. It's content that's important but good coding can make some good $$$ but is more tedious and people can quickly lose interest - especially at that age.

Also, I highly recommend teaching her web responsibility. What information is safe to give out, what isn't and that anything she posts on the internet may be around forever.

I have two teenage stepdaughters. Plus I am a 'un-appreciated' step dad (by my observation).

One very near 18 going on 30, and one 16 following sis's footsteps.

Web responsibility is by far the most important thing you can teach a young adult.
(Just wish the bio-dad would project that as well, as my words are not heeded at best, to the girls.)

hugegrowth

Level 10
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Morgan Linton had a post about a weekly coding tutorial that lasts a year, I signed up and will see how it goes, maybe my kid will sign up too if it looks good.

its at codeyear.com

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom