Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Beware Buying Used Domain Names for you Website addresses

Status
Not open for further replies.

izopod

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Note: Interesting read. The gist of the story is that you should check the history of a domain before buying it. Especially if it's ever been associated with spam.

http://realtytimes.com/rtapages/20030820_beware.htm

by Lawrence Schoeffler

Are you buying a used domain name for your web site, instead of registering a brand new one? How did the previous owner use that web address? If its history has been spotty, you might be buying a domain name already penalized by search engines.

I received a call from a Realtor the other day, who was pulling her hair out, trying to figure out why, after being online a year, her site was nowhere in the search engines. She had spent good money with a search engine optimizer.

We did a search on Google using her domain name: "mywebsiteaddress.com". Her site came up as the only result - as it should. So we knew it was in the Google database. Google's spiders had indeed crawled and indexed the site.

Next, we did a search on a phrase, which should have returned her site as the first result. It was a line of text on the home page, which included her full name, and some other rather unique words. Her site did not come up at all. Drilling down through page after page of the search results, her site still did not show up. How could this be?

It was pretty obvious to me she was being penalized. Rather severely. I checked with one of my company's search engine analysts, who took about 30 seconds to conclude the same thing.

My analyst reviewed her Web site content and code, and reported there was no evidence of deceptive search engine optimization. No Spam doorway pages. No invisible or hidden text. No deceptive mirrored content. No cloaking. No over-the-top key word repetition. No content bait and switch. (See How to Make Your Site Disappear From Search Engines for more information on the most common types of search engine deceptions.)

If her site was free of search engine trickery, why were the search engines penalizing her?

I had a hunch. I did a search in the Whois database. The first record of her ownership of the domain was about a year earlier. I asked her where she got the domain.

"Well, I bought it for $1200 from the original owner..."

Bingo.

"I'm not surprised," I said.

It was the only reasonable explanation: Since her site was currently free of trickery, it had to be from a prior history.

She told me the story of the domain, and who was using it before her, and how. I won’t go into details, but it certainly had a checkered past! It was associated with a somewhat notorious public figure, along with all kinds of blatant Spamming and search engine trickery.

In order to correct the problem, she is going to have to completely sever her site from this domain. It will take some time.

Moral of the story? If you are buying a used domain, buyer beware. Find out who used it before, and how. If the domain still has a web site associated with it, pull a unique phrase from the site, and perform a search as I did above. If the site doesn't come up anywhere in the results, but you can confirm it's in the search engine's database, better invest your money elsewhere.

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If there was ever web content (at least since about 1997), you may be able to find out what it was in archive.org's wayback engine. The domain name version of a lemon search.

Momentum

DNF Member
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
That is simply one of many factors for why a website does not rank well in the search engines. The article sounds like another self-proclaimed guru spouting a quick solution to a not so simple problem. I always get a quick laugh from all of the wild assumptions that people make in regards to search engine placement.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom