Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Beware of Dotster's Renew Policy

Status
Not open for further replies.

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I just got charged $14.95 for a domain which I could have transferred to Enom for $7.10 >>>>>

https://secure.registerapi.com/order/register/agreement.php?siteid=4798

Auto renewal Policy
You agree that if you paid for any services provided hereunder by credit card, Dotster, Inc. is authorized, but not obligated, to automatically charge your credit card and renew the applicable service(s) on or before their renewal date using the credit card information you have provided to us, unless you notify us that you do not wish to participate in our automatic renewal process. Notification of your intent not to renew (opt-out) must be provided to Dotster, Inc. no earlier than thirty (30) days prior to renewal date or on renewal date. In the absence of such notification from you, Dotster, Inc. will automatically renew, for a period of one year, any domain name that is up for renewal and will charge the credit card you have on file with Dotster, Inc., at Dotster, Inc.'s then current rates. You are solely responsible for the credit card information you provide to Dotster, Inc. and must promptly inform Dotster, Inc. of any changes thereto (e.g., change of expiration date or account number) If the credit card has expired or is otherwise invalid, we will notify you of this fact and give you an opportunity to provide us with a valid credit card or other reasonable assurance of payment (such reasonable assurance as determined by Dotster, Inc. in its sole discretion). If no such information is provided prior to the expiration date of the domain name, your registration will not be renewed.

GeorgeK

Leap.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I transfer out after 60 days, to consolidate all my domains with one registrar (OpenSRS).

Bob

Jedi Master
Reaction score
Register.com is the same way. When I had a bunch of names with them, they in no way ever told you that auto-renew was set. Fortunately (but unfortunately for somebody else), I heard that the auto-renew is automatically set. I called and asked their support to confirm this. Sure enough, all 215 names I had were set for autorenew!!

I also do what GK does. I try consolidate into one portfolio after 60 days. I used to have domain at like seven places. Now I am down to two. :)

-Bob

Whois-Search

Level 9
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Response (Darlene) - 11/22/2002 03:20 PM
Andrew,
I will forward this on to our accounting department and have the renewal fee refunded to you. If you have other domains with us, please log into your account and make sure that the auto renewal feature is turned off on your domains. I am sorry for the inconvenience that this has caused for you.

Luc

Old school
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
At least they were nice about it.

That's what I like about Dotster.

Luc L.

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The auto renewal can be turned off. Most registrar including Enom has this feature.

TexasFilly

RBS consultant
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by kvinsencius
The auto renewal can be turned off. Most registrar including Enom has this feature.
Very true.. just gotta remember to de-activate that feature.
GoDaddy has the same 'auto renewal' too.. I had a couple names I did not plan to renew, and now I'm stuck with them for another year..

:embarrass

M

mole

Me too. I was going to let a .org expire at Dots and now I'm the proud owner of it again :rolleyes:

buddy

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by mole
Me too. I was going to let a .org expire at Dots and now I'm the proud owner of it again :rolleyes:

If it is a good .org and you don't want it Mole, I can pay you some $DNF for it :D

I

interactive

Thats a load of crap. Isn't that illegal to do that without asking?

d'backs

Level 1
Legacy Gold Member
Reaction score
What if you were to lose an important name? Then would you favor "auto-renew"?

Besides, you should all be looking at reg agreements to see what the renew feature is. At places like GD it's in the first paragraph and they send 5 notices telling you your domain is going to expire and auto renew, what's unfair about that?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom