Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Big Media Still Doesn’t ‘Get It’: Comcast Announces Launch of New Streaming Service,

Status
Not open for further replies.

A D

Level 14
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It happens over and over again: big media company announces launch of new service with much gusto and fanfare. Once the wheels have been already set in motion, someone at the company has a moment of epiphany: “Hang on, we don’t quite own the matching domain yet!”. As Eliot Silver notes, Comcast announced the launch [...]

More...

Mark Talbot

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
I disagree with the article. In this case Comcast stands to lose nothing over the lack of the domain name.

StreamPix is only a function for Comcast customers, $4.95 per vid, or free for triple-play subscribers. (which is where I am)

Comcast would gain nothing by aquiring the domain. Not one new customer. Not any new traffic. Nada.

Comcast is not trying to compete with Netflix, they are only value-adding for their customer base.
And I will be going to comcast.com to login to get my free movies &video's.

They must be doing something right. 4thQ customer retention is up exponentially compared ytd.

edit to add - Apparently Norpix' CEO is "small-time" enough to shoot around emails threatening legal action, to bloggers. Surely the corporate legal rep is cringing at that. Comcast is a bit bigger than them and although it may have stepped on the tm or Norpix, Norpix CEO is making big mistakes on rectifying that. (I respond to the statement on Elliots blog that suggests the CEO commented to Elliot directly. I cant say that is a verified statement from the CEO)

edit to add (again) - interesting that streampix.com doesnt even resolve to anywhere. Wanna bet that since Norpix has streampix product only on the corporate website, that the streampix domain does in fact end up getting used by comcast somewhere in the near future anyways?

edit to add (yet even more) - Remember how Apple branded their iphone product long before they owned the trademark. This is reminiscent.

Last edited:

DigiNames

DigiNames.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
It's not just a domain issue, it could be a TM battle. Norpix had a TM on it from 2001 to 2010 but let it die. Even though the official TM is dead, if they still use it in commerce they have a good argument to challenge Comcast, which filed for a TM this past September. Digital video software and digital video streaming service sounds a little too similar to me. I am sure Norpix will be trying to get a payday from Comcast...

The funny thing is it isn't that great a name, imo. "StreamFlix" maybe, but that would be too close to NetFlix I'm guessing. I just don't care for the "pix"...

Ridge

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am sure comcast is fully aware of their actions. I bet they get the domain one way or another eventually.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom