Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

Biggest players are wasting money - or are they playing games?

Status
Not open for further replies.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Here's a question for all insiders:

Why do so many biggest players (NA, BD, ULT, VA...) almost exclusively only buy secondary domains from drops (for thousands) and NEVER from forums like this (for hundreds)?

Why they don't want to buy a name here for xx or xxx, but they spend x,xxx for the same name in drops?

Are the names perceived less valuable if bought for less money? Are their "edited" measured bigger just because the names are bought in needlessly inflated drop competitions?

There certainly has to be some sort of catch here, or else it wouldn't make any basic, logical business sense at all?

Enlighten me, anyone please?

Domain Days 2024

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
There are a number of good deals at the forums.

However, it is difficult buying some names because of the transfer process.
And, it can also be very time consuming.

Then, it becomes the question of actual ownership.

I use to work the "domain sales thread" hourly. Now, I can't remember the last time
I visited that thread. Weeks, month?

Last time I bought a domain there? Months and months ago.

Also, I use to alert one of the "major" players about some deals that he might be
interested in that was out of my reach. He also lost interest in buying from the
sales thread.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
There are a number of good deals at the forums.

However, it is difficult buying some names because of the transfer process.
And, it can also be very time consuming.

What is so time consuming to paypal someone xx or xxx, and get the name pushed in less than five minutes? Remember I am not talking about a great high-budget names, but those lame two-worders that they pay x,xxx's in drops.

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Sales threads here are certainly less time consuming than the nightmare drop auction process.

actnow

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The major players don't want to have domains all over the place any worse than
it is now because of the phantom registrars of Pool and Snapnames.

They don't want to keep track of godaddy reseller domains. Which can't be transferred
out quickly because ownership change due to the sale.

For all of us, there is only so much time in a day. Do they really want to spend
it working at moving a mediocre domain? I can tell you no.

In my case, the only domain I will buy from the forums has to be at Moniker
or Enom. Where it is an easy push.

Also, I don't feel like going into a negotiation process of back and forth over
a mediocre domain.

As for the major players, do you really think they want to go into a negotiation
process when YOU know who they are?

Some of the major players are members here. I would speculate the only way
they would buy anything here is if the actual price is quoted.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
actnow said:
Also, I don't feel like going into a negotiation process of back and forth over
a mediocre domain.

Some of the major players are members here. I would speculate the only way they would buy anything here is if the actual price is quoted.

No negotiation needed. I am talking about those names or lists of names in domain sales forum with a price attached to the right of them.

You know the kind of names that go:

299 > 249 > 199 > 149 > 99 > 49 > 9 > 0.99

"Sold!"

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Dave gave the reason why but the logic behind it is flawed.

zouzas

DNF Regular
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
in one word Perception

what fun is there getting something for 10 bucks as opposed to being the Winner for 5k.

give something away for free and they;ll be no takers ask for 5k and they;ll be plenty.

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Well all I have to say is watch out high rollers. More money is entering the game very soon. You might want to reconsider your business model because others don't have the same ideas of spend more and make less. No matter how thrilling the game is perceived it's still a business and in the end the one with the most profit wins.

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
If more people actually posted a price instead of the moving target prices (send offers, $,$$$, mid-high $$$ and so on) there might be more sales. And also, 95% of the domains being sold are garbage.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
NameGuy said:
And also, 95% of the domains being sold are garbage.

Says you and then went rummaging through the daily drop lists containing 99.95% of "certified gold"??

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
nobody is wasting money or playing any games. the "high rollers" do have a budget, are very picky and know exactly how much and what name is worth (approximately) and if it will mature into a good investment in the short/long term and they do bid accordingly, most of the time...whatever the circumstances are... they are not passive, they are very smart and clever...they go after names aggressively because they have data to back things up. they have tens of thousands - hundreds of thousands of names. they know more then you will ever know. everybody else (start-up, resellers; the smaller guys) have very little to work with.

Biggie

DNForum Moderator
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
Here's a question for all insiders:

Why do so many biggest players (NA, BD, ULT, VA...) almost exclusively only buy secondary domains from drops (for thousands) and NEVER from forums like this (for hundreds)?

Why they don't want to buy a name here for xx or xxx, but they spend x,xxx for the same name in drops?

Are the names perceived less valuable if bought for less money? Are their "edited" measured bigger just because the names are bought in needlessly inflated drop competitions?

There certainly has to be some sort of catch here, or else it wouldn't make any basic, logical business sense at all?

Enlighten me, anyone please?

no offense, but maybe they just aren't buying your names.

also, they can make purchases from members via pm and choose to keep the deal private.

stuff

Mr Domeen
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have seen many domains in this board going to so called BIG PLAYERS

NameGuy

Level 8
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
sasquatch said:
the daily drop lists containing 99.95% of "certified gold"??

Certainly not. But these are dropping domains, the ones that supposedly are not good enough for their owner to even renew. The domains listed in forums are supposedly good domains that someone would actually pay an amount over reg fee for the right to own; but that is certainly not the case. I'm not saying 95% posted are worth reg fee or less, but 95% are not worth the amounts that the people are looking to sell them at.

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:
"high rollers"...are very picky

I certainly wouldn't call individuals with 100,000-300,000-500,000 names operating on "automated policies" as "picky". I would call them many different names, but "picky" definitely ain't one of them.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
hmmm... jump in on any auction any given day at snapnames and you will see them go aggressively after certain names, with a budget. sometimes they win, sometimes they don't. sometimes they don't even bid-up....... what do you call this?

sasquatch

Telling it like it is
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:
hmmm... jump in on any auction any given day at snapnames and you will see them go aggressively after certain names, with a budget. sometimes they win, sometimes they don't. sometimes they don't even bid-up....... what do you call this?

Hey Mike I appreciate your points, and I agree with many of the things you and others have said on the subject - but I respectfully disagree in regards to the choice of some of the tactics these so-called "big players" use (mainly the one I mentioned in this thread)

Unfortunately, the tendency here amongst many domain "commoners" is to look uncritically at everything these guys do thinking that just because they did this or that successfully that everything else they do must be somehow genius. We forget that they too are humans and on top of that speculators which implies inherent risk embracing in the very definition of the word - operating in largely uncharted territorities and they too must be making choices in those territories, and therefore they too could be making ocassional mistakes, especially since these are the kinds of things nobody before them ever did.

mike031

WannaDevelop.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
well of course nobody is perfect, but if anybody knows what and where things are going it is them. and they do a good job staying on top of things. genius or not they do stay profitable no matter what. it is all about quantity at this stage...the days of cherry picking are certainly over but there is still many opportunities to acquire decent names, and many of em via the drops.

as for your uncharted territorities comment... that doesn't really apply to the auctions, maybe 5 years ago it did. the names getting bid up and going for thousands of dollars are generics and/or traffic and cash generating domains. they are good sound investments which are definitely bargains at the reseller-market.

they make very few mistakes -- trust me..... this guys are still learning and gaining knowledge with every day that passes..... they are expanding and gaining more resources. whats to come... who knows :-O

JMJ

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
mike031 said:
they know more then you will ever know.

I wholeheartedly disagree. A fat wallet doesn't make you wiser. I pick up money falling out of their pockets all of the time. So in reality I don't need them buying here. lmao The more they drop on the ground the more I pick up. Eventually their wallet is depleted and being the selective wholesale buyer I am mine gets fatter.

I don't know any of these guys personally and to be honest all are smart and I agree they know what they are doing or they wouldn't be where they are. But, if they participated in the real market instead of feeding the likes of snapnames, netsol, etc then there wouldn't be expired auction process. There would be no money in it because all names would be moving from place to place, from investor to investor.

It would only take $278,753,337.50 to cover the registration costs of all .com names registered at this time. Works out to $763,707 a day. How much money do you think has been spent in the expired auction process this year? I would like to see the figures. I would be willing to bet it's a large chunk of that.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom