Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Sedo.com

Bing vs Google

Status
Not open for further replies.

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
This was posted today by Rick Schwartz

When Microsoft finally entered the search arena they did it in a big way and Google was unexpectedly surprised and put back on their heels. The proof is Google announcing an operating system that is a year away at best. What else could they do? Looks like Google was caught flatfooted and their bottom line is going to suffer at the worst possible time. They underestimated Bing. Microsoft is going to hurt Google and it will take at least a year for Google to get off the mat. They have been hit with a body blow from the mighty giant. In the meantime, Bing is taking market share as it improves and gets some pretty good reviews. Sit back and enjoy the show. It's the one bright spot in a lot of bleakness.

Add the mountain of trademark suits being filed against Google and I would say that Google is in for some very rough days and their stock will start to reflect that once folks figure out that Google is losing market share and is vulnerable for the first time. Personally I think Google will bow in light of all these lawsuits, however they will make many millions each and every day they delay.

So if the saying is “As GM goes so goes the Nation” and GM is belly up, what is the future of the newest biggest company on earth? What will a real challenge to Google do to Google? When it comes to search engines, I just have 2 words......"Alta Vista".

Have a GREAT Day!
Rick Schwartz

Google has adsense

What does Bing have?

In any event, have any domainers on here been testing any Bing adsense type revenue on their sites or domains.

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
No I have not. I was not even aware of it being live until a few weeks ago when I read a review. It will probably be good for international traffic I know because I am advertiser with Microsoft, and it looks to me that they have done international advertising right. I'd say it is done right, unlike Yahoo.

Overall, from what I know and have read. Google > Microsoft > Yahoo for contextual ads. Reason being primarly:

Advertiser Market Share - biggest is Google
Ad Relevancy Technology - Google / Microsoft
International Coverage - Google, then Microsoft
Highest CPCs: Microsoft

Ummm, I guess Yahoo is on neither of these lists so that should speak volumes, not to mention their dropping advertiser numbers and search market share.

Yahoo 2 years from now will be done. Microsoft I heard from someone at a different parking company saying they will enter the domain industry sometime late this year, early next year. They will no doubt replace Yahoo unless Yahoo really revolutionizes their adveritisng services overnight which will not likely happen.

Also, Microsoft pubcenter may be good now because they have highest CPC in industry. The reason being is that they don't syndicate ads to so many partners as Google or Yahoo. They only have a few very BIG partners that send very good quality traffic. Therefore, Microsoft delivers best traffic quality to advertisers and has highest CPC. Once Microsoft contextual ads come out of beta, give it a year then and you'll see CPCs slowly dropping while advertisers lower bids and quality control takes place. This is what happened with Yahoo.

My thoughts: Google will be king of monetization for at least the next 5 years. Even if Bing really takes over, which I don't really see happening, it will take them years to take away Google's market share. We are going to be depending on Google for years because search can't be revolutioned. It can be improved like Bing, and give better results and better answers, but there is nothing that can be done a whole lot better that can take away Google's revenue share in less than 5 years. If someone takes over, it'll be a process.

Last edited:

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Matt , agree
I have dropped yahoo myself , but with all the positive talkk and results about MS and bing with the CTR and the increasing popularity, I would easily want to try it.

Although I am sure you will not be able to combine Adsense with MS Pubcenter

draggar

þórr mjǫlnir
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
My sites get decent number of referral visits from Bing.

Same here and it's giving me a boost in traffic with some of my sites. Its not replacing traffic from Google and Yahoo, it's adding to it. I still get pretty much the same visitors from G and Y but more now from Bing. I'm not complaining - I may give their ads a chance on some of my sites, too.

petrosc

Level 9
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been purchasing MS Adcenter traffic for years for affiliate campaigns and I can safely say that Microsoft traffic converts much better than Google traffic when it comes to SEM.

If you really think about it, you may agree with me that the reason Microsoft has such a high conversion rate when compared to google, is that the majority of their traffic comes from Internet Explorer and it's default home page MSN.com (or live.com).

It is a fact that IE holds the largest market share among browsers, and is also a general truth that the majority of it's users are not so tech savvy, every day people who do not care (or do not know how) to change the default home page. I've seen this a million times with my relatives, friends etc.

These people are also less familiar with internet marketing and less cautious, thus more subjective to ads and more likely to convert in a sale or an action for the advertiser.

Now bing came to change this picture. Its constant marketshare increase from day one suggests that more are more people are consciously visiting and using Bing over google (or yahoo) which will bring the conversions down, towards Google's numbers.

Anyway, my fingers are crossed and I hope Microsoft gives Google a run for their money

exponent

Level 5
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
This is the one time I hope Microsoft stomps a competitor into the ground.

james2002

Buying Premium Domains
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I think it is too late for bing to compete properly with google.

Gerry

Dances With Dogs
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Taking into consideration what Matt stated about Yahoo and many other opinions here, it may have been a mistake for Yahoo not to merge with MSN. Their market share/value must be eroding daily.

Bing has some strong ad campaigns going.

As for being too late to take on google, I don't think it is ever too late to enter the market. The question is do they have the capital and the endurance to take them on. I think they do.

It now comes down to a time factor and if Bing can catch google and how long will it take. 3 to 5 years? That is a ton of revenue to keep up the media blitz.

As for referrals, Sedo seems to love Bing (Live) searches. And a few sites that I do have with adsense shows Bing traffic searches also doing well.

That may be the key - having a good site with good keywords and metatags to capture traffic from all sources. Do we really care about who is number one? If number 10 does the best in conversion, I'll say that #10 is the best in my book!

mattbodis

Bodis.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have been purchasing MS Adcenter traffic for years for affiliate campaigns and I can safely say that Microsoft traffic converts much better than Google traffic when it comes to SEM.

If you really think about it, you may agree with me that the reason Microsoft has such a high conversion rate when compared to google, is that the majority of their traffic comes from Internet Explorer and it's default home page MSN.com (or live.com).

Yes, but they also don't syndicate to as many partners as Yahoo or Google. Overall, Yahoo used to be on par or almost on par with Microsoft in terms of quality traffic. Now they have a lot of partners and are desperate for more publishers and the quality of their traffic has slipped.

Yahoo has over 1000 partners that it syndicates to, but Microsoft I can count on my fingers.

Same with Google. Their search quality is not as good, but then again, DomainSponsor parking program is one of their search partners, and it is arguable that any domain parking program traffic quality is just not as good as natural search traffic...among many other search partners of Google. Overall, it all gets mixed into their search network, and you get traffic quality that is maybe 7/10 compared to Microsoft.

All I can say is Yahoo will be an ugly option for domain parking companies a few years down the line.

Report said:
The report says Google offers the most efficiency of the three major search engines, with ROI up 43% Y-O-Y. Bing (and Live Search before it) showed a 24% increase in ROI from 2008 to 2009, while Yahoo dropped by 8%. “Yahoo!’s lower efficiency given stable click volume and lower CPCs indicates a likely decline in quality,” the report says.

Source: http://searchengineland.com/report-spending-stabilizes-bing-gains-on-google-yahoo-22265

Yahoo is just not as policed as Google partners are. They are going to keep dropping in quality at the rate that they are going. And the report suggests that Google ROI went up 43%. That would be correct, since they've been heavily policing their network last one year and a half. They have cut off Ask deal to syndicate to domain parking companies (which was part of the Search network) amongst other changes.

SDX

KXX.com
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Subscribing...This "fight" shall be interesting for sure! :)
Let's see if this means anything to us.

Last edited:

south

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I am in the beta program. Very happy so far with ctr & rpc. The only downside so far is a lack of advertisers in all fields. Some areas appear to have plenty of plenty of ads, while there are still areas lacking enough advertisers. They are definitely trying to throw MS for a loop at least in the ppc market.

:)

doc24

Level 6
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Yes I signed up with AdCenter and hopefully they will accept at this point so let the testing begin.

Here is proof that obviously the BING ads and search are working and this increase comes from several of my websites, but just using this one. All increases on websites are very large compared to the last several months. In some cases went fron less than 10% search to 30% search.

I think that speaks for itself

google (organic)
Jun 12, 2009 - Jul 12, 2009 1,530 38.68%
May 12, 2009 - Jun 11, 2009 1,504 46.61%
% Change 1.73% -17.02%

bing (organic)
Jun 12, 2009 - Jul 12, 2009 832 21.03%
May 12, 2009 - Jun 11, 2009 170 5.27%
% Change 389.41% 299.22%

(direct)
Jun 12, 2009 - Jul 12, 2009 530 13.40%
May 12, 2009 - Jun 11, 2009 521 16.15%
% Change 1.73% -17.02%

yahoo (organic)
Jun 12, 2009 - Jul 12, 2009 156 3.94%
May 12, 2009 - Jun 11, 2009 143 4.43%
% Change 9.09% -11.01%

Last edited:

pubbing

Level 1
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Who can explain why microsoft bought clubbing.com domain, what was the reason? Anybody?

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom