Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

.BIZ & .INFO Are They Worthless

Status
Not open for further replies.

ghecko

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Whats the general consensus on.biz and .info.

Say you had

sex.biz and business.info etc....

Domain Days 2024

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Top top names are worth money the rest - I'd give them a miss.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hardly worthless - but establishing worth at this point in time is also very difficult because there are very few sales to go on - especially with .biz where the registry rules prohibit trading in names alone. Everyone has their personal preferences and opinions. I don't care much for .biz unless it is for a whimsical kind of business (I only have one - SpaceShips.biz). I don't think the slang word biz is suitable for corporate type business and don't think many will adopt it. It could work for small business is certain fields though.

Info has had some proven sales mainly in Europe and those look very promising. Still it will be a few years before anyone can come close to accurately gauging what these might sell for.
Same with .US (which I like better than .biz and as well as if not better than .info).

You will get arguments day and night over whether these new extensions will ever make it and whether you should buy only .com etc. The fact is, neither side in the argument can actually prove their point until several years from now when we look back and see what happened. So all you can do is place your bets and take your chances at this point in time.

I basically try to cover all of the bases. I prefer the original three -.com .net and .org, but am also picking up some .US and .info while good names are still available. Those may turn out to be a waste of money or they may turn out to be good investments. I tend to think they will see popular usage down the line and if I turn out to be wrong I'll only be out a few hundred bucks. To me that's a gamble worth taking based on the potential payoff.

ghecko

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Sounds like a good answer to me....you mentioned .us how about the new .eu names coming out....and worth in these do you think??

Ed30

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
The Duke is right in many ways perhaps it's worth a gamble, but I figure with these new extensions out and more in the pipeline where will it all end? Personally I'm quite happy to stick with the coms and nets.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by ghecko
Sounds like a good answer to me....you mentioned .us how about the new .eu names coming out....and worth in these do you think??

Again no one will know for a few years. I won't play the .eu game because I am in the States. I'll leave that to the Europeans just as I do .co.uk.

As Ed mentioned the registries are sure to keep pumping out extensions. That is too bad but is a fact of life. In a way, I think that may work to the advantage of the current newbies .info .us etc. As people see so many extensions out there they will become used to things other than .com .net .org. Others think just the opposite - that it will only strengthen the original three.

I'm guessing new extensions will become excepted out of necessity. There is NOTHING left in .com. New businesses are being formed all of the time and they do not have the budget to spring for a strong .com root word from a reseller. I think the small businesses (who make up about 70% of the American economy) will turn to other extensions as a result. The corporates, who can afford it, are likely to stay with the .coms.

To make significant sales as a reseller today you need .com .net and .org. Consider the new ones only as a bet for the future. However, if you are going the .com route today, you better break open the piggy bank and get into the dropped names game and pay the services to help you catch a few. You are not going to get ANY good .com drops manually (like from Deleted Domains lists, or even Exody). I know, I have been trying for 6 months. I've finally learned it won't work because those names are taken the instant they expire. So I am just going to have to start paying up - like the guys who have been at it longer than me have been doing for some time.

ghecko

Level 3
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Duke

Thats exactly the same as I have been finding, I end up registering dropped names from deleted domains etc...that end up being worthless but as there are so few out there is seems like a good deal at the time.

What other services are available with payment that you mention so that you can jump in there before the others or at least have a fighting chance.

Duke

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Duke

Thats exactly the same as I have been finding, I end up registering dropped names from deleted domains etc...that end up being worthless but as there are so few out there is seems like a good deal at the time.

What other services are available with payment that you mention so that you can jump in there before the others or at least have a fighting chance.

SnapNames is the best known but there are many others that are mentioned throughout this forum. Check some of the old threads and you can find out about all of them. Some require you to pay a set fee if they get a name for you, others have you bid against other people then if they get a name it goes to the hogh bidder.

M

mole

Sales have been reaching over $10,000 for .info names in this early stage so I think worthless is too strong a word.

The quality of the name is what makes it worth something or worthless. ncoaprenvroijxape.info is definitely worthless. So is ncoaprenvroijxape.com.

StockDoctor

** Mr. Pink **
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
In my opinion, all of the extensions other than .com are completely worthless.

If anyone has some of these other gTLDs, I'd be happy to see if I can work a deal with the registry to return your money.

In fact, I think myself and others here would bankroll a project to refund and transfer thousands of these worthless names to get the registration fees back to people.

Of course, we couldn't take on ALL of them, but we could help to unburden lots of these poor victims.

Post your lists and we'll see what we can do.

NamePopper.com

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Originally posted by stocdoctor
In my opinion, all of the extensions other than .com are completely worthless.

If anyone has some of these other gTLDs, I'd be happy to see if I can work a deal with the registry to return your money.

In fact, I think myself and others here would bankroll a project to refund and transfer thousands of these worthless names to get the registration fees back to people.

Of course, we couldn't take on ALL of them, but we could help to unburden lots of these poor victims.

Post your lists and we'll see what we can do.

Yeah but how do you REALLY feel doc? :D

M

mole

Yes, I agree with doc. Media.info is worthless, worthless I tell you. However, I am a very generous man and will give you $1,000 for it just to show I care for my fellow domainers.

dtobias

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
Domains other than .com are "worthless" only if you have such a narrowminded view of "worth" that you only care about making a quick buck by speculation. For people and organizations that want to do things on the Internet, other domains can have great worth, though this "worth" might be something other than monetary -- there are other values in life. ("Roll in all the riches all around you, and for once never wonder what they're worth..." -- Colors of the Wind)

Is the mit.edu domain worthless to M.I.T.? Is the cancer.org domain worthless to the American Cancer Society? Is the fbi.gov domain worthless to the FBI?

I have gotten good use out of some .info and .name domains myself.

DomeBase

Old Timer
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Whats the general consensus on.biz and .info.

Say you had

sex.biz and business.info etc....

Hi Ghecko,

To address your question, please give this a try. Go to Google and search for...

"Find a Physician in _________"

where ______ is the name of the country (if non-US) or state (if US) where you live. For example, suppose you live in the United Kingdom... Type in "Find a Physician in the United Kingdom"...

http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&...cian+in+the+United+Kingdom&btnG=Google+Search

Are there any .INFOs on the first page of results out of tens of thousands of results? Is the first result a .INFO? :)

adoptabledomains

Level 7
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
No, not "worthless", just "worth less".

I think dot-com will always be the default, giving it a head up against all others. Just the fact that everything on the internet is networked makes .net the second TLD of choice and fairly universal. dot-biz and dot-info I think are great thirds when the TLD fits the name, and I think are better or equal to dot-org's.

What I don't understand is what were they thinking on .aero, .coop, and .pro. Will they even get enough registrations to to pay the bills? Does anyone really think Delta airlines is going to give up Delta.com to promote delta.aero? I would even bet a high percentage of people can't spell aero correctly.

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
maybe not now....but if any other extesions come out....they* will ALL become worthless.

*they=all extensions other than the teriffic trio

RMF

Level 8
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
.com will always remain king.

The only possible extension that I could see taking over .com is ".web", but I don't see that extension coming available anytime soon. It probably wouldn't take over .com, but it would make a big impact.

RMF

Nic

Level 6
Legacy Platinum Member
Reaction score
If domain extensions were soft drinks (sodas), the .com is BOTH Pepsi and Coke..... hmm i think i'm thristy!:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Members Online

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

New Threads

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom