Enjoy unlimited access to all forum features for FREE! Optional upgrade available for extra perks.
Daily Diamond

BlackBerry questions

Status
Not open for further replies.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an HP notebook for mobile Internet access during vacation, but I would like to buy something smaller now. The first device that came to my mind was a BlackBerry. I have never had one before, so I do not know much about them. I would primarily use it for Internet surfing and reading/sending emails.

Does a BlackBerry have POP3 email access and does it support MS Outlook synchronization?

Thanks in advance!

Domain Days 2024

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hey!

I work for BlackBerry, I test and integrate our software so I can probably shed some light on this.

If you want something to browse the internet, the 8700 is pretty fast, plus there are some new devices coming out soon that are even faster (few months for now for NA release)

with the BB, you can have a BIS account (free) and sync POP3 email to it (gmail, yahoo, your ISP, hotmail, you get the picture) and it is 100% synchable with your Exchange Mailbox/Outlook, which will require a BES for email, but Desktop Manager can do a wired sync everything else that you want (contacts, memo's, tasks, etc.). If you want wireless synchronization of your Outlook information (assuming you are using an Exchange Mailbox) then you will need a BES. Anything else, you get it for free with a BIS account. Always connected.

Also the device is a much better phone then 95% of cell phones out on the market.

Jay

EM @MAJ.com

Visit MAJ.com for domain forsale.
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
I have an HP notebook for mobile Internet access during vacation, but I would like to buy something smaller now. The first device that came to my mind was a BlackBerry. I have never had one before, so I do not know much about them. I would primarily use it for Internet surfing and reading/sending emails.

Does a BlackBerry have POP3 email access and does it support MS Outlook synchronization?

Thanks in advance!

Blackberry is really a nice business tool and very addictive as well. If basic surfing and email purpose only. Yes you can get both service through BlackBerry, you have to choose your provider e.g. Verizon, Cingular or Tmobile.

You have to remember that will pay the minutes + blackberry service, some provide this as package sale estimate between $70 to $150 or more depending on your voice and data usage + tax

Regarding Microsoft Outlook synchronization, I'm assuming your are going to use BlackBerry Internet Service (not the Enterprise). This is a POP3 service provided to you through push technology.

My personal choice is Tmobile for Internet Surfing only for $29.99/month. I read all my emails (m.gmail.com) using my iPAQ. I'm planning to upgrade this with Tmobile MDA maybe next month.

I hope I provide you enough information. If not, visit Hardworking.com Technology section for details or send pm.
http://www.hardworking.com/content/blogsection/4/58/

My best,
Em

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Blackberry is really a nice business tool and very addictive as well.

And how!

The BIS (BlackBerry Internet Service) is most likely all you will want/need. As for Carriers, I can't say much, but TheWatcher listed his preferences. As I work with several hundred, I can't really put one over the other one (some are much better then others though so do your homework before you sign-up with one of them, you may be sorry otherwise, trust me).

i am also looking to purchase a BB, do you know how much they retail at?

Depends on the model. Because some carreirs only support certain networks, that will determine that devices they carry, although we are streamlining this.

I think in Canada an 8700 with Rogers (the Canadian equiv of T-Mobile, for size comparison) sells it for 300$ CAD. You can just go to your carriers website, and they will list prices. Any carrier will list prices but each varies. You can also get a used BB and just get service put on it, and save yourself alot of money, opposed to buying one brand new. Ebay is a good place for this.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the informative post!

So it is my understanding that I can receive and answer all emails going to my company's email address and then push them onto my PC when being back again, so that I have all email records saved on my office PC. Is that correct?

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
Hi Jay,

Thanks for the informative post!

So it is my understanding that I can receive and answer all emails going to my company's email address and then push them onto my PC when being back again, so that I have all email records saved on my office PC. Is that correct?

This is correct. So let's go through both examples together, so this is clear.

1. You have a POP3 account ([email protected]) and you want all emails sent to the account to show up on your BB. This is can easily be done. We poll Gmails servers and the information is pushed down to the device on 15 minute intervals.

2. You have a business email account, that sits on a exchange server. (you need a BlackBerry Enterprise Server for this). You get email on your HH that is sent to your work email address. When you return to the office, you can set it up that the emails are already there on your work machine. So what happens is I email you at your work email address, the email hits the Exchange Server, the BES sees this and then forwards the email off to your BlackBerry, so you see the email on your BB at the same time you do as if you were sitting at your desk waiting for it.

You can reconcile email between the BlackBerry and your Outlook whenever you want with "Desktop Manager" << Free software that lets you synchronize all PIM Data (address book contacts, notes, memos, Calendar appointments, etc) and it can Reconcile email messages, not to be confused with sychnorize.

Either way, you can get all of your work or POP3 email on your blackberry and then get it back on your MS Outlook, although it may already be there waiting for you when you get back to the office anyways : )

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
do they sell BB is in the UK?

Yes, we do. There are several carreirs in the UK that provide and sell very reliable service for them. The UK has some of the best coverage on the BB's. If you are looking to get a mobile device, the 8700 or 7290 (a bit cheaper) are excellent options that will not put you in debt.

dodo1

DNF Addict
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
... If basic surfing and email purpose only. Yes you can get both service through BlackBerry, ...
(...)
Regarding Microsoft Outlook synchronization, I'm assuming your are going to use BlackBerry Internet Service (not the Enterprise). This is a POP3 service provided to you through push technology.
(...)
I read all my emails (m.gmail.com) using my iPAQ. I'm planning to upgrade this with Tmobile MDA maybe next month.
Also thanks for your post!

What exactly is BIS/BES? I already have existing email addresses and mailboxes... The only thing I need is mobile access to these mailboxes, so that I can check my mails when being away. Then I would transfer them to my PC when being back. I can do this with my notebook, of course, but would prefer a smaller device when being on short trips.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
BIS = BlackBerry Internet Service. This is for POP3 accounts, so usually your ISP email that goes through POP3 or a free-mail account (gmail, yahoo, etc)

BES is BlackBerry Enterprise Service. This is for Exchange - Outlook, Domino - Lotus Notes or Novell - Groupwise email accounts. So you need to know whether your work email is setup through POP3 or on one of the three mail server setups.

Big companies use a BES beacuse they have (usually) 100's of employees with devices, all on the same mail server setup. So this is an easy way to manage them, PLUS, you have access to tons of excellent management tools. But it is more expensive then BIS, for good reason.

You are probably wanting a BIS account, which your carrier "will" help you setup and it takes all of 10 minutes.

If you ever have any problems, you can contact me directly and I will help you out

Bender

Bending
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
you can always use Sony Ericsson P910 or P990 instead of BB.
I use a P910 (since mid 2005) and I'm very happy with it.
P990 is also a nice business phone, better than BB ones.

Irish31

Level 7
Legacy Exclusive Member
Reaction score
whats carries and how much?

This is something you will have to research, as I don't have this information off the top of my head.

The prices should be comparable though, from CAD/USD/Pounds.

Feel free to PM me or post a question here, if I have an answer, you'll get it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

The Rule #1

Do not insult any other member. Be polite and do business. Thank you!

Sedo - it.com Premiums

IT.com

Premium Members

Premium Members

MariaBuy

Our Mods' Businesses

UrlPick.com

*the exceptional businesses of our esteemed moderators

Top Bottom